Hard water discus

• Thread starter kbn
  • Start date

kbn

I've been doing a bit of research on discus lately (never kept them) and apart from learning that they are ultra sensitive and shy fish, they thrive only in soft water. I've been reading and some people say that discus can't stand a drop of hardness and install expensive filters or whatever to make it soft and stuff while others say that their discus are flourishing in hard water and all they rid was drip acclimate and introduce to their tank like they would do to any other new fish. And still some people say all their discus died in hard water. I've read about stendker discus and Asian discus. Please give me more information on discus in hard water and feel free correct me where I'm wrong.

FinalFins

Fishlore VIP
Discus can take hard water just not ridiculously hard. I think your best bet is to buy stendker discus since they've been bred for years in europe with high pH and harder water.

kbn

Right. Just that they are doubly expensive for me where I live right now. Anyway, I'm not getting a discus tank in the immediate near future, I'm still in the research phase.

DoubleDutch

Fishlore Legend
FinalFins said:
Discus can take hard water just not ridiculously hard. I think your best bet is to buy stendker discus since they've been bred for years in europe with high pH and harder water.
That is correct. I've visited a fishshow in Holland some years back (a guy fron the UK forum asked me to visit : his fish travel around Europe). One of the organisers was Stendker and one of them (if I recall a Stendker-brother) gave a presentation about their fish were quite adapted to harder waterconditions.

kbn

DoubleDutch said:
That is correct. I've visited a fishshow in Holland some years back (a guy fron the UK forum asked me to visit : his fish travel around Europe). One of the organisers was Stendker and one of them (if I recall a Stendker-brother) gave a presentation about their fish were quite adapted to harder waterconditions.
But they have been breeding discus in hard water for generations. What's going to happen with a fish which has known nothing but soft?

A201

Fishlore VIP
When Watley Turquoise Discus burst onto the scene in the late 1980's, I had to have some. Ended up with a few Watleys, 2x German bred Cobalt blues & a few Asian Greens.
I kept this group for several years in my super hard Oklahoma water w/ 8.2 PH.
Not much was really known about keeping Discus back then other than keep the tank hot & feed frozen brine shrimp & blood worms.
I had a mated pair the constantly laid eggs, that never hatched. I believe hard water was a factor in that.
Some of the dominant Discus grew as large as a coffee saucer, other substantially smaller.

DoubleDutch

Fishlore Legend
kbn said:
But they have been breeding discus in hard water for generations. What's going to happen with a fish which has known nothing but soft?
To me you can expect issues then.
It is the adaption over generations that makes it possible with Stendker fish.
They were BEAUTIFUL BTW

kbn

Discus are beautiful

86 ssinit

Fishlore VIP
The thing is to keep the ph consistent. If your tap is 8.2 but when the water sits in the tank for a week it drops to 7.6 adding new water will be a problem. So you will need to do more frequent water changes. Which is great for discus. Just another reason for the many water changes. The more changes the closer to the tap the ph will stay.
So discus can stay in a higher ph.

tuggerlake26

I also would recommend Sera Super Peat if you're okay with slightly tanned water. My water is a tad harder than I'd like and this gets me down to about 6.4-6.8. I've never tried keeping my discus without it though, so maybe they would still have been ok.

Like many have said, I think stability is most important. Along with temperature and water changes.

Top Bottom