Hard Water Deposits - UGH!! >.> Nasty

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Mrs.Price, Jan 1, 2013.

1. Mrs.PriceValued MemberMember

So I picked up the 75g I bought for $125 yesterday... and the thing is CRUSTED with hard water deposits, like it had been setup for years and never cleaned, not even once. I've got paper towels soaked in vinegar laying on it right now, I've managed to get SOME of it off, but this is seriously ridiculous. The tank isn't nearly as bad as the lid *shivers* it's pretty icky. I don't have razor blades, but I've been using a credit card, seems to work ok. I'm beginning to understand how I may have gotten it so cheap!

2. EthanWell Known MemberMember

hard water stains the evil of cheap used tanks.. i had some pretty good on my 30gallon and my tears and a ton of elbow grease made it go away

3. Mer-maxWell Known MemberMember

The best cleaner in the world is brake parts cleaner. I'm not sure how my mechanic ties transfer to the fish world but it all evaporates in air but can clean anything spotless. It doesn't bother my skin but it may irritate yours. Just throwing that out there, dunno what hard water stains are like but I know I use that stuff to clean almost everything. You would probably have to re-rinse with a lot of water though to be safe

4. kinezumi89Fishlore VIPMember

I'm not sure if I would trust Brakleen, that's some pretty serious stuff. We kill bugs with it sometimes, they don't seem to like it :p You would definitely need to rinse overandoverandoverandover to make sure you got it all. Even then I might stick with good ol-fashioned acetic acid. Best of luck! :)

5. ryanrModeratorModerator Member

Not a fan of using brake cleaner on the inside of a tank. If it's the outside, maybe, but it can also discolour plastics ;)

Vinegar should work eventually, or maybe rubbing alcohol.

6. Mer-maxWell Known MemberMember

Wasn't recommending it. Just listing it as a last resort option. Could just air it out awhile. Or surely by the end of the cycle it'd be out

7. ryanrModeratorModerator Member

Hehe - I've used heaps of the stuff (brakleen) when I was running a race team, and agree it's an awesome cleaner. If I were to use it, I'd do it the same as methylated spirits. I've cleaned a tank with methylated spirits. When I was done, I left the tank outside in the sun for 24 hours, then washed thoroughly with a vinegar solution, left it in the sun again. Rinsed it one more time with fresh water, then filled it for use.....

Maybe I'm a little over cautious though. :;dk

8. Mrs.PriceValued MemberMember

I got the majority of it off with vinegar... it took 2 QT's of it, but I did it >.> Ill need to get another 2 QT's tomorrow so I can soak each side of it and give it a good scrub down... it will take MUCH more work than that to clean the lid unfortunately... This is a nightmare!

9. ryanrModeratorModerator Member

Nice work on the tank ;)

What's the lid made of? Any electrics in it?
    If you answered plastic/glass and no electrics, you may be able to soak it in a sink over night (laundry sink?) or the bath tub, that'd help loosen some of the deposits. (I wouldn't soak wood ;) )

10. Mrs.PriceValued MemberMember

It's plastic, no electrics.... and that's what I was thinking... buying several large containers of vinegar and soaking it in the bathtub!!! I think it's the only thing that will work >.>

11. soarlValued MemberMember

ha...even if it contained electric's i'd soak it. As long as you let it thoroughly dry the electric's would be fine.

But since your's doesn't have any in it i guess that point is moot!

12. ryanrModeratorModerator Member

If you have soft tap water, I'd try just soaking with water first . Remember that all the deposits came from water, and could possibly be dissolved back into water, or at least softened :)
    Soaking it over night first, then trying the vinegar might make it easier :;dk I'm just guessing, I've never had to deal with bulk deposits.

13. soarlValued MemberMember

You might try a diluted water/vinegar mix too. That's how I clean my coffee pot when I need to. Lot's of lime and junk in my tap water. Starting to show up in my tank now :( i'm gonna have to seriously scrape that stuff off but waiting on a few things for my RO setup. Any tips on cleaning those deposits from a running tank? lol.

14. Mrs.PriceValued MemberMember

I'm thinking I'll do a vinegar+water solution and soak it for a few hours and give it a scrub down with a rough cleaning pad... I think the vinegar will eat through it better than just water, it has so far, so... cross your fingers!! This is one of the nastiest tank lids I've ever seen, crusted with yellow and green lime, it was pretty bad, made me sick to my stomach. Anyway, hope to have the tank up by tomorrow night if all goes well... hopefully it will be a breeze after the soaking.

15. ryanrModeratorModerator Member

Kind of still related to the topic. Yes, I assume your deposits are just at the top, where the water level is?
    Next time you do water change, paper-towel with vinegar solution then wipe with a damp paper towel;) Try not to get it in the tank water, but a small trace amount of vinegar won't hurt.
    You might get a small bloom of bacteria (not a mini cycle, different type of bacteria) from the vinegar, but your filter should pick it up.

EDIT: Sounds good Mrs Price. I'm guessing you won't be having Salt 'n' vinegar chips/crisps for awhile :giggle:

16. IlyasValued MemberMember

Spray Nine may work well on the lid. Not the best to for fish, but it will get the job done and not harm the color or finish. Just rinse really well when done. Hope it works out for you. Just look at the bright side dear....you own a nice big tank now. I spent a bit more on my 75 g, but it is also about 2 months old and came with the new stand too. I did not have to clean like you do either, but the joy of having it and seeing the fish enjoy it makes your efforts worth it. I am certain you will think so too the moment it is cycled enough and you put the first fish in. Get some muscle cream for when you are done too lol...Best wishes

17. Mrs.PriceValued MemberMember

Mmmm... I'd actually love some fish and chips right now!!! (hungry) haha (my husband spent 8 years in England and two of his daughters were born there, so I am very familiar. :)

18. AlanGreeneWell Known MemberMember

Tell me more of this SUN you speak of, I am from Ireland and we do not have anything of that name in this country

19. AlanGreeneWell Known MemberMember

Just think of the satisfaction you'll get once it is cleaned and full of lovely fishies and you can think to yourself, I saved this tank and gave it a new lease of life!

20. Mrs.PriceValued MemberMember

For real!!! hahah That is exactly how it's going to be...this tank is nasty... and I will be SO pleased when it is cleaned an full of happy fishies, but not before then!!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice