Hard Time Finding Fish

AngelGalore

It's hard getting fish at local fish stores in my area because of Covid-19. I go to the fish stores and see mainly a bunch of empty fish tanks--depressing. I have to order my fish online. It's easier to get disappointed with the fish given because I can't pick them out and might not be accurately described. I fell in love with the Congo Tetras. I ordered some Longfin Cong Tetras from Live Aquaria twice. The first time I got all boys with longfins. They are gorgeous in my tank and give me great joy. So, I decided to order some more. The second time, just recently, I got two girls with shortfins. I reached out to them about "longfins", and they told me the girls and boy's fins are both long. A family member got some girl Congo Tetras and their fins are so basic as in regular, not long. I'm so disappointed. I could have gotten the girls at PetSmart that have been there week after week if that's what I wanted. I wouldn't mine some girls, but I have a big group of boys. I won't order those again because I don't want to get mostly all girls when the prize of this fish is the boys (stunners).

chromedome52

Male Congo Tetras are the ones that normally have elongated finnage. Females will always have shorter fins, and less color on the body. I am not aware of a longfinned strain of Congo Tetra where the females might also have elongated finnage.

Incidentally, the prize of keeping a group of fish like this is when they spawn and you get to raise up a whole new group from eggs. But you don't get eggs without females.

AngelGalore

chromedome52 said:
Male Congo Tetras are the ones that normally have elongated finnage. Females will always have shorter fins, and less color on the body. I am not aware of a longfinned strain of Congo Tetra where the females might also have elongated finnage.

Incidentally, the prize of keeping a group of fish like this is when they spawn and you get to raise up a whole new group from eggs. But you don't get eggs without females.
I research a lot about this fish. What you have shared is what I have learned about this fish too. They are regular Congo Tetras, not a longfin strain if that even exist. "Longfin" is just marketing like Teacup Yorkies based on what I have received from them. I guess this marketing works for them. I'm glad everything has worked out in my favor and now I know. It was just an initial letdown and confusion on what they were selling and my experience with the first group of Congo Tetras. The way I see Live Aquaria is a little different now, but whatever. I'm glad I got what I have with the lack of fish sold in my area.
Well, your prize comment got me laughing, but to each their own. I know I'm not alone though. :D Your opinion is the first for me. I have seen many people voice their opinions about favoring an all-male Congo Tetra tank and asking questions about why their girl Congo Tetras never got colorful on many fish forums. I'm glad you find breeding fish rewarding. I'm find it rewarding to have a big school of beautiful fish. I always wanted to try breeding them in the future. Then I can always keep my supply of Congo Tetras going the way I want it. :D I have read it's not easy, and I don't want to start another tank right now. I'm just focus on creating my best aesthetic pleasing tank. My tank looks beautiful if I do say so myself. I do like to take this hobby to new levels with breeding and live plants someday. I wish there was a Congo Tetra sub-forum because I would love to talk about them with people who are into them like me.

Top Bottom