Happy Looking Bta?

Josh195

I've been keeping an eye open lately for softies to fill my new(ish) reef tank up with and came across an extremely cheap bubble tip anemone. The lady I bought it off explained it was going for cheap because it wasn't healthy due to chemical warfare from the many other anemone in the tank. She also said it was a green bubble tip anemone but its cuurrntly purple? I'm just seeking some information on BTA to see if this guy's unhappy or doing okay now.
20181227_125224.jpg

ValerieAdams

stella1979 Lchi87 Culprit should be able to help you out. Good luck with it, they're beautiful!

stella1979

Disclaimer: I am not the current owner of any 'standard' nems, only have rock flowers, and my last experience was with a condy nem many, many years ago. However, with the information and sharing age upon us, I feel I can offer some advice from what I've learned from others.

Okay, so he's fully inflated, and that's great. His bubbles also look really nice so it seems you have a good one there. He seems pretty pale but these guys coloration is dependant on lighting to some extent. Some nems will be full of vivid color, then decide they want to live in the shade and go pale, (not white, but a paler version of their color, or even a different color.) This doesn't necessarily mean they are unhealthy. They do carry zooxanthellae so can get nutrition from lighting, but they also eat, so of course, get nutrition from that as well. A very unhappy nem can lose all zooxanthellae and turn white. This is what we call a bleached nem, and sadly, some species are purposefully bleached by humans... because white sells better than brown. Whether your nem is bleached is hard to say, but bleaching can be reversible under proper care and conditions. Generally this means taking it a little lighter than usual with light and flow, as well as offering small but frequent meals. Frequent meaning a few times a week, not a few times a day. An overfed nem is not a happy nem either.

So, I couldn't say what state of health your nem is currently in, however, if he's lost color due to becoming unhealthy in an old tank, I do think he is still healthy enough to recover based on the picture you've provided.

ryanr

Hi, welcome to Fishlore.
Aside from the obvious signs of the chemical warfare on some tentacles, your BTA looks healthy to me. Give it a bit of time to settle, and then try feeding (they'll take meaty foods as well as filter feeding)

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
1971roadrunner
Replies
Views
Gernader
  • GetFreshedAquariums
  • Corals
Replies
Views
aussieJJDude