Happy Glofish in 10 gallon tank?

Zia
While our 10-gallon tank is cycling (sans fish), my 4 year old and I are researching which fish should inhabit it. She has fallen for glofish, and will hear nothing of my proposed gourami/livebearer/dwarf cory combo.

6 glofish, and nothing else, seems possible but tight. I'd like to know how to make this satisfactory for the fish. Should I...

1) limit the number of glos to 3 or 4? I have read they prefer 6, though.

2) remove a decoration from the tank for more room. I have 2 ornaments and 2 plants.

I am meanwhile searching craigslist for a good deal on a 20- or 30-gallon tank, and may ask on freecycle as well. Then I can set up the 10 gallon as I'd like and let the glofish run wild.

In the meantime... any advice?

Meenu
I would strongly discourage glofish danios in a 10 gallon. The care guide says minimum 20, and this is really true, in my opinion. Danios are very fast swimmers and need a ton of space. They also pick on each other. (My personal experience with them).

I would wait for the bigger tank to get the glofish.

redlessi
I agree as my danios are wild. They fly around the tank like speed demons. Fun to watch but they really need swim space.

Show your daughter some neon tetras, they are as pretty and much calmer.

Good Luck

Zia
Thank you -- this is exactly what I needed to hear.

Hmmm, I considered the tetras... but my pH is a little high for them (7.4 currently). I thought variety would appeal to her, but maybe if I take her to the gigantic fish speciality store (a bit of a drive), seeing the gouramis, etc. in person will help.

What other fish appeal to a child? We were both very attached to our mollies, which were a victI'm of bad Petco advice. Wiser, now. :/

Meenu
I just looked at the care guide, Zia, and the minimum recommended is 10. I must have seen 20 on a different care sheet.

I would still suggest 20 minimum, personally.

If you are going to get them in the 10, I would go with 6 or 7. The bigger the group they are in, the less likely they are to pick on each other. I would also add a few more plants, fake or live is up to you,

Zia
I saw this 10-gallon combo on another thread and thought it might work. Worried my gravel -- standard pet-store issue, size of large but lumpy peas -- might be too hard on the cory's barbs, though.

2 male honey gouramis (with lots of plastic or real plants for them to feel comfy in)
2 male fancy gups
1 mystery snail and some red cherry or ghost shrimp
4 pgymy corydoras

Meenu
Zia said:
Thank you -- this is exactly what I needed to hear.

Hmmm, I considered the tetras... but my pH is a little high for them (7.4 currently). I thought variety would appeal to her, but maybe if I take her to the gigantic fish speciality store (a bit of a drive), seeing the gouramis, etc. in person will help.

What other fish appeal to a child? We were both very attached to our mollies, which were a victI'm of bad Petco advice. Wiser, now. :/
My last post was while you were typing.

My pH is a bit higher than yours, and my neons do fine. Most fish with adjust to your pH. Neons need a tank that is already cycled, so you want to be carefulk about that.

My kids love the neons in my tank.

You could get 2 male guppies and 5 pygmy corydora catfish.

Zia
Ha, Meenu, I though I'd seen 10 somewhere! Not going crazy. I just hate to see things crowded, and, even without fish, the 10 gallon looks small.

I'll think this over and continue negotiations with the little person in our house.

Meenu
Zia said:
I saw this 10-gallon combo on another thread and thought it might work. Worried my gravel -- standard pet-store issue, size of large but lumpy peas -- might be too hard on the cory's barbs, though.

2 male honey gouramis (with lots of plastic or real plants for them to feel comfy in)
2 male fancy gups
1 mystery snail and some red cherry or ghost shrimp
4 pgymy corydoras
Personally, I think this is overstocked. A 10 gallon is a smaller tank, and so it will be more difficult to keep the water conditions steady. I think you have to be careful not to go overboard. What if you left out the cories in this scenario? You could go with the honeys, 2 guppies, and maybe 10 ghost shrimp?

Meenu
Zia said:
Ha, Meenu, I though I'd seen 10 somewhere! Not going crazy. I just hate to see things crowded, and, even without fish, the 10 gallon looks small.

I'll think this over and continue negotiations with the little person in our house.
You and I are thinking along the same lines.

You could get 2 sparking gouramis instead of honeys.

You could divide the tank into 2 halves and get a betta for one side and two african dwarf frogs for the other.

kcarmartinez
Personal experience is why I love this site. On one site it says a rainbow shark can be kept in a 10G and on quite a few others it says 50 is recommended! Yes, you can keep a rainbow shark in a 10... but eventually it won't. And what works for one person doesn't always work for another... or later on down the road.
I will say I have read 1 male gourami per tank. I would say in a small tank this is probably wise.
My sons have a 10G guppy tank. They are active and pretty fish, though I have been thinking of adding some Cherry shimp for algae clean-up since we have had some overfeeding issues. The kids like snails though.
Petstore sounds like a great idea... good luck getting a 4yo to change her mind.

Zia
kcarmartinez said:
good luck getting a 4yo to change her mind.
As traumatic as losing the mollies has been for her, this has been a very good learning experience. She can talk pretty articulately about the nitrogen cycle now, and is getting a sense of the responsibilities of keeping a natural thing in captivity, not to mention the lesson that there's more to a good pet than just being pretty...

Random Great Thread

Latest threads

Top Bottom