Happy find in a tank!

• Thread starter Mar1111
  • Start date

Mar1111

Several months ago I bought 10 each of Red Cherry and Blue Velvet shrimp. I split them up with both colors in the 40 and 20 gallon tanks. I also witnessed 2 becoming dinner to fish, not sure how many I lost. Then I read that if the 2 colors breed, they'll revert back to a black shrimp. I moved 5 blues to the 20 and put the reds in the 40 about 3 months ago. My tanks have lots of Java moss with almond leaves near it and they like to hang out there. Tonight I drained 4 gallons to lower the water and plant some new plants, and there on a leaf was a blue shrimp! Well that sneaky bugger, he's stayed hidden well! So caught him in a net, and to my surprise, I also caught a little baby shrimp!! Put them in a bag to float in the 20, where young ones have a better chance of not becoming dinner. Went back and poked in the java moss with a net and caught 2 more babies, just before the lights clicked off, and after acclimating, let them loose near the moss in the 20. I have no idea if a red bred with that blue, but hope not.

On Monday I bred my peppered corys, and am expecting them to be hatched tomorrow. I'm so excited and hope to raise them and not lose any. Guessing there were about 30 fertilized eggs in the tank.

It's so much fun getting unexpected babies, had to share!

SanDiegoRedneck

Well Known
Mar1111 said:
Several months ago I bought 10 each of Red Cherry and Blue Velvet shrimp. I split them up with both colors in the 40 and 20 gallon tanks. I also witnessed 2 becoming dinner to fish, not sure how many I lost. Then I read that if the 2 colors breed, they'll revert back to a black shrimp. I moved 5 blues to the 20 and put the reds in the 40 about 3 months ago. My tanks have lots of Java moss with almond leaves near it and they like to hang out there. Tonight I drained 4 gallons to lower the water and plant some new plants, and there on a leaf was a blue shrimp! Well that sneaky bugger, he's stayed hidden well! So caught him in a net, and to my surprise, I also caught a little baby shrimp!! Put them in a bag to float in the 20, where young ones have a better chance of not becoming dinner. Went back and poked in the java moss with a net and caught 2 more babies, just before the lights clicked off, and after acclimating, let them loose near the moss in the 20. I have no idea if a red bred with that blue, but hope not.

On Monday I bred my peppered corys, and am expecting them to be hatched tomorrow. I'm so excited and hope to raise them and not lose any. Guessing there were about 30 fertilized eggs in the tank.

It's so much fun getting unexpected babies, had to share!
It's very fun. and with cross breeding of colors you will get some browns reverting back but also maybe new funky cool colors.

Also if you found 3 shrimpletts I bet there are 10+ you didnt find.

Mar1111

SanDiegoRedneck said:
It's very fun. and with cross breeding of colors you will get some browns reverting back but also maybe new funky cool colors.

I think so too! I looked more today with no luck. I put a weight on the very large clump of Java moss because fish were all over and under it, so now it's not floating. I've seen my blackskirts gulp a few before triple that size.

Another happy note, I now hae 20-30 peppered cory fry too. They have a 10 gallon to themselves. Checked the ammonia, nitrite and nitrate and there was some ammonia, so I did a careful 50% WC and will check tomorrow morning too. Sure don't want to lose them. It's baby week and I've had 3 new fancy guppy females for 25 days, so there will be more babies soon!

SanDiegoRedneck said:

Have you gotten some cool colors?

SanDiegoRedneck

Well Known
Mar1111 said:
No I sell the culls locally or on here for $1 or less. I keep my current 4 colors separated. There is a random cull or two in all my tanks when I didnt have enough to sell. But not enough to breed

Mar1111 said:
Renaissanista has gotten cool variation I believe

Mar1111

Well, I thought those were a mix of red cherry and blue shrimp that turned out brown. I moved them into a tank they'd be safe in, and now they're an inch long, and they are GHOST shrimp! I finally started seeing the hump on their backs and knew they weren't cherries! I only had maybe 4 ghosts and was thinking about getting more, but they saved me a few dollars. Now I wish my reds or blues would do that for me!

Top Bottom