Happy betta but Scuzzy Tank

1. son Initiate Member

Hi,
    Of the 3 5g tanks we have, one has finally cycled :-* ( One betta per tank). NH3 0ppm, NO2 0 ppm, NO3 5ppm. The male betta in the tank is as happy as a clam ... maybe too happy. He spends all his time making bubble nests which is creating an oily slick on the surface. Should I remove this "stuff" or not? He seems perfectly happy. If I should remove it then what would be the best method short of a tear down? I don't have any skimmer equipment. I do partial water changes every week or so.
    Thanks

Attached Files:

2. Amanda Fishlore VIP Member

I had that in my 20, but not to that extent.
    It just seems to have gone away in my tank

3. Shawnie Fishlore Legend Member

it looks like maybe its allot of current and the bubbles are from your water conditioner more than the bettas bubble nest......

4. Lucy Moderator Moderator Member

Congrats on the cycle.
    Is that a whsiper filter? I think the oilyness (is that a word? lol) come from the filter.
    I have that sometimes in my 2 tanks with the same filter. I don't know what causes it, but it doesn't seem to pose a problem.

5. son Initiate Member

Hi Lucy,
    It is a Whisper Filter ... any idea how to best clean it up. Will Joey get upset if I suck up all his hard work? He already pretty grumpy.

6. Lucy Moderator Moderator Member

lol @ the grumpy betta. He'll get over it and start again.
    I never worried about it. I think someone had a thread similar to this. They put a paper towel down and it absorbed the oiliness.
    Just be sure Joey can get up to breath,

7. son Initiate Member

Thanks for the advice Lucy. I'm amazed at the unique personalities that our three bettas have. Joey is grumpy, flares when you feed him, and eats very little. Sammy (our crown tail) is happy but gets himself into trouble all the time (health wise). Frankie (our little girl) is like a puppy dog, eager to please with her "happy dance" and will eat until she explodes LOL

8. Lucy Moderator Moderator Member

:) They all sound adorable.

9. Martinismommy Fishlore VIP Member

I agree with Shawnie, those are not bubble nests they are from the filter and the oil slick is most likely from the water conditioner..Prime causes this if that is what you are using.....

10. Meenu Fishlore VIP Member

your bettas sound adorable. congrats on the cycle!