Happiestcamper Getting Salty | Page 4

Discussion in 'Saltwater Aquarium Builds' started by HappiestCamper, Sep 10, 2018.

1. stella1979

stella1979ModeratorModerator Member

Ratings:
    +9,575
    Experience:
    5 to 10 years
    Oh no!! I'm so sorry. Losing coral to one's mistakes is sad, and a hard pill to swallow. I've got a favorite, this unidentified little acro, who is suffering from a big mistake I made. Idk if he'll recover, but if he does, it's going to be an achingly slow process. I lost softies, (mostly zoas) like crazy in the early days, no less than 10 frags I'd say, but that was easily chalked up to some mysterious reason that my tank couldn't support them. So while I was sad, I didn't feel all that guilty about it, and any that I did was swept away when zoas started thriving about a year later and I came to believe that zoas just needed a mature tank in my case. However, I've been kicking myself every day for the past few weeks, as my two most sensitive and expensive corals have not been looking good at all. I got them for a really sweet price too, and I doubt I'd be able to replace them for less than triple the cost of what I originally paid. Sorry, not trying to make this about me, just commiserating and letting you know that I know exactly how it hurts when you feel responsible for a coral loss. If the loss of life under our care weren't enough, it also feels like money, time, and research wasted. Ugh... mistakes do happen though, so the only thing to do is learn from them and keep on keepin' on.

2. Lchi87

Lchi87ModeratorModerator Member

Ratings:
    +10,421
    Experience:
    3 years
    Sorry about your blasto Losing coral because of accidents or mistakes are a real bummer. We’ve all been there so don’t sweat it.

3. OP
    OP
    HappiestCamper

HappiestCamperWell Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +166
    Experience:
    5 years
    Ugh poor thing

Hopefully yours pull through! Slow and steady wins the race right? 20181028_201154.

4. Culprit

CulpritFishlore VIPMember

Ratings:
    +4,157
    Experience:
    4 years
    Can you see the skeleton anywhere through the flesh? He looks OK, just **** off. If he didn't try to eat it i'd say he'll be ok.

5. OP
    OP
    HappiestCamper

Ratings:
    +166
    Experience:
    5 years
    The burn includes the "mouth"
    Im not sure how to know if he tried to eat it.

Is there anything i can do to increase its survival chance?

Im also not sure about the skeleton part... :/

6. Lchi87

Lchi87ModeratorModerator Member

Ratings:
    +10,421
    Experience:
    3 years
    He doesn't look too bad...Coral can actually be pretty hardy and can bounce back. I'd say just keep your levels steady and with some luck he'll perk up. In my relatively limited experience, coral heals best when you just leave it alone and keep your parameters stable so they can focus all their energy on healing. It ain't over till its over!

7. OP
    OP
    HappiestCamper

Ratings:
    +166
    Experience:
    5 years
    I gotta hand it to you Lchi87, it really looks like it is getting better, much to my suprise!

Thanks for the encouragement guys!

Fingers crossed !!!!

8. OP
    OP
    HappiestCamper

Ratings:
    +166
    Experience:
    5 years
    School has been kicking my BUTT gearing up for the first round of clinicals, here's an update!

All is well currently!

Added a new light about a month ago, started switching to RO/DI yesterday.

Rehomed a pistol shrimp who turned out to be a murderous JERK.

Current stock:
    2 clownfish
    1 watchman goby
    1 green BTA
    1 pin cushion urchin
    1 short spine urchin
    1 tuxedo urchin
    3 (?) Emerald green crabs
    2 types of snail...i don't remember 28]

Corals:
    Duncan
    Hammer
    Acan
    Blasto
    Lobo
    Zoa
    Discosoma
    Unidentified mushroom
    Pulsing xenia

We're still loving it and of course learning from mistakes along the way. Had a power outage that took out some inverts. But other than that its been suspiciously smooth sailing!

Seeing coral growth is super exciting! The anemone is pretty new to us, of course we're hoping to convince the clowns to check it out

20190113_111112.Snapchat-1188020323.1547410007174.

9. Jay15

Jay15Valued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +37
    Experience:
    4 years
    Beautiful! We had a saltwater tank a few years ago. Definitely more challenging than freshwater but it was fun! Yours looks great!

10. OP
    OP
    HappiestCamper

Ratings:
    +166
    Experience:
    5 years
    Thank you! We're hooked 7] but now we have too many tanks... we're already planning a big salt tank after school though LOL

Of course after I posted my update we did a rescape

Also can anyone ID this SPS 20190120_191053.20190120_191129.

11. stella1979

stella1979ModeratorModerator Member

Ratings:
    +9,575
    Experience:
    5 to 10 years
    The tank looks great!.

I have a story about a murderous pistol shrimp too. Someday we'll have to swap.

Hmm, I think the unknown SPS might be a pocillopora, aka the cauliflower coral.

12. OP
    OP
    HappiestCamper

Ratings:
    +166
    Experience:
    5 years
    Ill look into that coral! What did you pistol take out???

We also have an emerald crab that's acting out lately -_- he's pushing his luck!

Anyone have experience with Acropora??

13. OP
    OP
    HappiestCamper

Ratings:
    +166
    Experience:
    5 years
    Some updates 4]
    We switched to a canister, upgraded our lights and went to "reef worx" and picked up a fungia, a headless horseman acan echinada, and the pink coral pictured below...i forgot the name

The blasto made a full come back, gaining lots of color back. Which I'm pretty excited about!

We also picked up this little clam a few weeks ago.

I LOVE THE SALTY SIDE!!!!

opinions: is it worth upgrading from the 25 gal to the 40 breeder that I already have on deck?

We're going to build a house in the next two years and after that were doing a much larger custom build. So that would be two tank moves in the next 4 years ? 848] 848] 20190224_074435.20190224_074352.20190224_074325.20190224_074308.20190224_074252.

14. Culprit

Ratings:
    +4,157
    Experience:
    4 years
    The pink coral is a montipora setosa. One of my fav SPS. Lots of color!

The tank is looking great and I love that clam. A clam is deifnitely on my buy-next list. What lights do you have now? Is it an AI Prime?

IMO... If you have the equipment already and cost will be little enough yuo can manage it easily then yes. A 40 breeder has a fantastic footprint for a reef tank. You would love it a lot more then the 25, the extra depth and width makes a huge difference.

15. OP
    OP
    HappiestCamper

Ratings:
    +166
    Experience:
    5 years
    That right! I just couldn't remember, from what I've seen it should add a nice pop of color and texture 4]

Thank you 4] it's hard not to add another clam but I know I shouldn't

It is an AI prime, for the 40 would you add another?? It would still just be run off a canister like this one :/

I'm not sure if it's because this current tank is small but we've been getting great growth with this basic set up, I'm wondering if it wouldn't work as easy in a 40.... thoughts?

Currently we just run the filter, lights and 2 pumps. Weekly water changes daily top offs. No skimmer/sump/fuge. (We tried the hang on the back fuge and it was just an algae mess)

One more pic for fun 28] 00100lPORTRAIT_00100_BURST20190224134259823_COVER.

16. Phish_Phan

Phish_PhanValued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +7
    Is that an urchin? What kind? Looks cool under the lights

How hard are clams to keep healthy? That thing looks awesome too

17. Culprit

Ratings:
    +4,157
    Experience:
    4 years
    As the corals start building up, and especially with that clam, I'd highly suggest starting to test once a week. Just test alk, calcium, and mag. Test Nitrates and PO4 every few weeks if they're under control. But before you know it the corals will be using more then you replace in your water changes and next thing you know you're in the middle of a tank crash because of alk swings or too low of alk. It happened to me and @Lchi87 . That clam especially will suck up your alk and calcium.

I would definitely add anohter AI Prime for a 40 breeder. What kind of canister are you running? What do you have inside?

In a 40, your going to have better dimensions for more fish, but that also means bigger water changes. Still the same percentage but more water to get that percentage. I would suggest, if you go for a bigger tank, using some kind of nutrient export other then water changes. Its a lot harder to do a 50% water change on a 40 instead of a 25, where you can take out 10 gal vs 20. If it were me, I'd do one of three things. One: convert your canister into a fuge/cheato reactor. This could be the easiest route depending on the canister. Two: Try again with the HOB fuge. I think we could help you through it a little better then before. Or Three: just get a cheato reactor, you can get a good one for about $80. Any of those will take care of nutrients for you.

18. OP
    OP
    HappiestCamper

Ratings:
    +166
    Experience:
    5 years
    [QUOTE/]One: convert your canister into a fuge/cheato reactor. This could be the easiest route depending on the canister. Two: Try again with the HOB fuge. I think we could help you through it a little better then before. Or Three: just get a cheato reactor, you can get a good one for about $80. Any of those will take care of nutrients for you.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for taking the time to guide a newbie @Culprit

I forgot to mention we also use this stuff as needed... thoughts? 20190225_074014.

Investing in another AI is great anyway because we could always use them for either the future tank or whatever else we dream up 23] We just have the default contents plus some extra media and we don't run the UV currently. I'd love any tips you have to take full advantage of this process!!!
    20190225_073933.

Thanks for reminding me about the water as it is much more of a process for saltwater than it was when I did a 40 as fresh.... sounds like we may want to finally buy an RODI system because that's way more buckets...

What are your thoughts on option one with this canister? In the mean time Ill look into option 3, I'm not completely against option 2 it's just less visually appealing but worth considering.

One more question! What is the best way to go about switching tanks? How does that affect things like nems which generally require a more established tank? This seems like a much different beast to compared to fresh water....

It is an urchin! One of three that we have 28] if I remember correctly that one is a pin cushion.... we started calling him "jack" they're fun to watch AFTER you glue everything down or they really are bulldozers 23] our [tuxedo/royal urchin] Duke decided to pick some Zoas as a fancy hat 23] 849]

This is our first clam so I can't speak much yet but to our understanding, great lights, calcium and at this small size phytoplankton feeding is a MUST. Once bigger it becomes much more efficient at photosynthesis

Snapchat-1230410936.

19. Culprit

Ratings:
    +4,157
    Experience:
    4 years
    That aquavitro stuff looks like it does the same job as kalkwasser- that is raise KH and boost pH. Just keep an eye on your kh to make sure you're not overdosing.

So it looks like the canister filter will not be able to be converted to a reactor. I have a few canister filters that are seethrough/opaque and if it was one of those you could just wrap it in grow lights. The thing with a canister filter is you need to make sure you clean it, often. Otherwise it will become a nitrate factory.

This is what I use as a reactor....
    Running it with a maxijet and have it in my stand next to my sump. You could also just run it straight from the tank down to the stand, like a canister filter.

Switching tanks is a real pain in the butt. I just did it from a 20 to a 75. Biggest thing is to have a plan and lots and lots of towells. You'll want to transfer all the water over. Make sure your sandbed is clean before the move, with lots of vaccuming during water changes. You don't want a nutrient laden sandbed. What I did, was I drained it by 50% and put the water in 5 gal buckets. One bucket for fish, one for corals, and one for rock. Some rock went into the fish and coral buckets too. I put a heater in the coral bucket, and ran an airstone in all three. Then I drained the rest of the water into a brute, and then took the rock and rockscaped in the new tank. Then I scooped the sand out of the old one and transferred it into the new tank. After that was transferred I finished filling it with new sand as it needed more. Then, I filled the new tank up with the brute, it only was about 10 gal, but it was enough to keep the rock wet. Then, I'd premixed 60 gallons of saltwater in brutes. I filled it up to just under 15 gallons left to fill, and then tossed all the corals on the sandbed, put the fish in, and filled it the rest of the way up with water from my buckets. I started all the equipment running with a fresh filter sock and let it clear up. It was a real pain but after its over its really worth it.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 25, 2019
  20. OP
    OP
    HappiestCamper

Ratings:
    +166
    Experience:
    5 years
    Is the picture working for you? Its a jumble of a TON of letters on the mobile app.

Did you notice much of a crash with your process?