Happiestcamper Getting Salty

stella1979

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I too am sorry to hear the bad news about the white clown. Tip, ask the LFS to feed any fish you are thinking about buying. If they don't eat at the store, then don't bring them home. It's a little sad, but saves more heartache in the end.

The corals are looking GREAT! I'm glad you're finding joy in them... and am wondering if you will name that awesome orange clown? He's too pretty not to have a name! That's just my opinion though and I know people have their reasons for not naming fish.

HappiestCamper

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Picked up some new life! Coral/invert qt is not currently realistic for us but we picked from trustworthy sources and dipped our corals. As you all know much prettier in person than pictures.

Also trying out another aquascape... don't love it yet but with more corals/grow out... but it may get all the way rearranged again.

We are already planning our 125 upgrade... i think we're hooked

LOL

Also orange is currently being called cheeks or spot but we will see what ultimately sticks
20180929_221820.jpg
20180930_094707.jpg
20180929_221754.jpg
20180929_221759.jpg
20180930_184058.jpg

stella1979

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Nice! The corals look great and that pom-pom crab is seriously cute.

I think the scape looks great too! Varied heights for coral placement, arches, and nook & crannies. Looks like a fishy playground.

Also, Spots is, of course, the name that immediately came to mind for Orange.

HappiestCamper

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Update
Not much has changed
Our cleaner shrimp died :/
Cheeks/spot is doing great and we're seeing some coral growth.

Our crabs don't move much... anyone have experience with that?

20181012_103115.jpg
20181012_103149.jpg
20181012_103250.jpg
1539365859483.jpg

stella1979

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Sorry about the shrimp. No experience at all with crabs, but it is a little worrying with the shrimp's demise taken into consideration. Do you know what got him? What kind of crabs are we talking about here? Emeralds can be rather shy. Otherwise, I wonder if the crabs are getting enough to eat since the tank looks mighty clean. Perhaps you should feed them a little extra and see if that helps. Don't trust me on crabs though, so I'd wait for @Culprit to chime in here.

Spots/Cheeks is too stinkin' cute and the corals look mighty happy. I wouldn't worry much about water quality affecting the crabs as long as the corals are happily extending their polyps regularly.

HappiestCamper

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Thanks for the reply! I ♡ Cheeks my bf calls her spot lol.

The shrimp had black specs which was apparently bacteria? I'm not sure, the pom pom crab is doing great moves around at night to find the perfect spot. The emeralds dont move much/far. There was plenty of algae but it was getting out of hand so we scrubbed it out. The snails are active and always munching so thats good I suppose.

Culprit

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
my crabs tended to stay in one spot during the day, or up in a rock, sometimes coming out and moving, they were most active at niight. During the day they'd kinda sit in one spot kinda haphazardly grabbing handfuls of algae. During the night they'd move all over.

HappiestCamper

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
my crabs tended to stay in one spot during the day, or up in a rock, sometimes coming out and moving, they were most active at niight. During the day they'd kinda sit in one spot kinda haphazardly grabbing handfuls of algae. During the night they'd move all over.
That's what i expected them to do but they don't seem to move much even at night and only mouth movement during the day.

My shrimp didn't move either... do you think they have what he has? Ive only really seen them eat if algae floated in front of thier face.....

Any tips?

Fish are active and piggies. Same with my corals, all the ones that eat eat and they all extend during the day. Water parameters check out great. The pom pom crab disappears and reappears at random but seems to be doing good. He at least moves to different locations.

HappiestCamper

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Little crab either passed or molted... time will tell

Big crab finally started traveling around the tank and picking at algae so that's good!!

Started noticing the appearance of feather dusters and what has been ID as a ball anemone.

We're itching to add something new to the tank but haven't been loving any of our LFS for anything besides corals...

20181015_205216.jpg
20181015_204959.jpg

stella1979

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Wow! The tank looks great and the corals look more than happy. I feel ya on the LFS fish... even in stores I like!

HappiestCamper

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Wow! The tank looks great and the corals look more than happy. I feel ya on the LFS fish... even in stores I like!
Thank you

Glad I'm not the only one with the LFS. Even the place we thought we liked lost us on her customer service and attitude towards fish

HappiestCamper

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Thanks everyone! This urchin is my current favorite after the clowns. It's always travelling all over cleaning and munching as it goes.

My large emerald crab is doing great now, very active! I know 1/3 of the smaller emeralds is doing fine but I haven't seen the other two for awhile so time will tell

We're considering trying an anemone to see if we can get the clowns hosted. Right now theyre hosted to the back glass :/.

Also considering a lettuce nudibranch

Any thoughts?
20181022_113819.jpg

stella1979

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
There's all this advice out there about designer clowns being having been bred in captivity, and so may have no idea what to do with a nem because they've never seen one. It's true that a clown doesn't need a nem... but that doesn't keep mine from trying to make friends with my torch.o_O I think the nem's a great idea and the only concern I have about it is how it will walk around your tank, finding it's perfect spot, and your corals will be in danger in the meantime. This is always the risk when introducing a nem to a reef tank though, and the risk is ongoing since they do like to take walks sometimes. Yet, people do it all the time. Just be aware of the risks and take any precautions you can. Oh! Don't forget to cover pumps and powerheads. as nems too often find their way into them and get chewed.

I think I'd also like a lettuce nudi. My hold up is reports saying they don't tend to last long. Much like a nem, pumps present a danger to them, as might nippy fish, and idk, but perhaps they just don't thrive in aquaria. More research is needed here, as my knowledge thus far is limited. Though, I'm glad you brought it up. Maybe we'll learn together.

HappiestCamper

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
There's all this advice out there about designer clowns being having been bred in captivity, and so may have no idea what to do with a nem because they've never seen one. It's true that a clown doesn't need a nem... but that doesn't keep mine from trying to make friends with my torch.o_O I think the nem's a great idea and the only concern I have about it is how it will walk around your tank, finding it's perfect spot, and your corals will be in danger in the meantime. This is always the risk when introducing a nem to a reef tank though, and the risk is ongoing since they do like to take walks sometimes. Yet, people do it all the time. Just be aware of the risks and take any precautions you can. Oh! Don't forget to cover pumps and powerheads. as nems too often find their way into them and get chewed.

I think I'd also like a lettuce nudi. My hold up is reports saying they don't tend to last long. Much like a nem, pumps present a danger to them, as might nippy fish, and idk, but perhaps they just don't thrive in aquaria. More research is needed here, as my knowledge thus far is limited. Though, I'm glad you brought it up. Maybe we'll learn together.
I think it couldn't hurt to try one, i just think it would be both interesting and adorable to watch them together.

I'm still in the research phase for the lettuce but they are just SO cute!! When people talk about covering power heads do they mean the sponge piece that comes with the power head? Or like throwing nylon or something on the back end?

Do you have a tank thread I could follow? I'd love to see pictures!!

stella1979

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
The lettuce nudis are totally cute, and I'd love to have a nudi that thrives long term. I had a terrible aiptasia outbreak that ultimately could only be solved with Berghia nudis... obligate eaters of aiptasia. I loved them! Though... they hid well and I didn't see them a whole lot. I wish I could have kept them but sadly, they don't last once the aiptasia is gone.

Those sponge pieces that go around a powerhead are used by some but they're not really a failsafe because they leave the front and back open. So, I find using something like pantyhose or plastic canvas to completely cover the powerhead is a better option.

Do I have a salty thread??? Why yes, yes I do. It's rather long but I do try to keep up with the deets on the tank in the very first post. I'm not the greatest picture taker either but I do try. There should be a few big picture updates in the last few pages. It's linked in my signature, but if you're not on a PC you may not see signatures, so...

Stella's Salty 20g

HappiestCamper

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Ugh I just learned a saltwater lesson the hard way

I accidently bumped the lid while cleaning the glass and a chunk of salt creep fell directly onto our blasto

I don't foresee it recovering

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom