20180923_161759.jpg
20180923_171251.jpg
20180923_171244.jpg
20180923_171239.jpg

stella1979

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Those clowns are BEAUTIFUL!!! Do you know the designer name of the orange one? It's almost naked! Looks like they're in a QT, which is excellent! Would you mind sharing the qt's size with me, as well as how you're filtering a bare tank? I had the toughest time cycling my own 5g qt when I started it bare and with an AC20 with a sponge and all the Matrix that would fit in that little filter. It absolutely would not cycle like that, though I tried for months. It would never process nitrites. I prefer a bare qt and Matrix so there is less worry of meds being absorbed, however, the only thing that got that tank to cycle was to pack that filter to the brim with Marine Pure and adding a thin layer of sand. So, what's your trick?

I'm assuming the question mark next to "3 mushrooms" means that you're hoping for more specifics. I think the first 2 are ricordias, though it's tough to say which kind. Possibly Florida or Yuma. The last pic looks like a disco, or more accurately, a Discosoma.

Culprit

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Gorgeous clowns!! Looks like you have an almost naked clownfish (the all orange), and a snowflake mabye? Are they getting QTed or going straight into DT?

Zoas look like Radioactive dragon eyes but can't 100% tell until they're all the way open. Shrooms look great too! 2 Ricordeas I think and then a watermelon discosoma mabye. Either way, super sweet haul!

HappiestCamper

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Confession time :/

We weren't as prepared as we thought to QT. Last night after acclimating in the QT we had to put them in the DT. (We forgot a heater *facepalm*)

Any further inhabitants will be properly qt'd moving forward, in the meantime we have to deal with any problems we have potentially introduced into the DT because we can't turn back now.

Luckily we don't have any inverts yet and only the three corals.

As for the clowns (i just love them ) they were sold as:
-"amphiprion ocellaris picasso helmet" (the white one)
AND
-"clownfish naked with spots" the orange one

And of course since we had to put them in the DT the white one has to have stringy white poo... advice? >

The corals were buy 2 get one free in the bargain bin they seem to be settling in.

20180924_085452.jpg
20180924_083139.jpg
20180924_082927.jpg
20180924_083130.jpg
20180924_083009.jpg
20180924_083026.jpg

Culprit

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Confession time :/

We weren't as prepared as we thought to QT. Last night after acclimating in the QT we had to put them in the DT. (We forgot a heater *facepalm*)

Any further inhabitants will be properly qt'd moving forward, in the meantime we have to deal with any problems we have potentially introduced into the DT because we can't turn back now.

Luckily we don't have any inverts yet and only the three corals.

As for the clowns (i just love them ) they were sold as:
-"amphiprion ocellaris picasso helmet" (the white one)
AND
-"clownfish naked with spots" the orange one

And of course since we had to put them in the DT the white one has to have stringy white poo... advice?

The corals were buy 2 get one free in the bargain bin they seem to be settling in.

View attachment 482891View attachment 482892View attachment 482893View attachment 482894View attachment 482895View attachment 482896
The clowns have some kind of internal parasite. I would get metroanzidole (seachem metro works well) seachem focus, and then if you don't have it some kind of pellet food (NLS Thera is great). Some garlic guard is good to get too and will make them more likely to eat it. Basically the metro is a anti parasitic ect but won't bind to the food (needs to be eaten). The focus will bind the metro to the food, so it stays on. The garlic guard will make it far more palatable to the fish. However, I've used just plain garlic juice before and it worked great.

Did you see any signs of disease in the tank they were in? Heavy breathing, dying fish, spots, etc? Are they showing any signs of stress or whatever, e.g. heavy breathing, scratching, wierd swimming?

Corals look happy! Definitely a nice colony of radioactive dragon eye zoas (first pic), a watermelon discosoma mushroom (second pic), and a hairy mushroom I think.

HappiestCamper

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
The clowns have some kind of internal parasite. I would get metroanzidole (seachem metro works well) seachem focus, and then if you don't have it some kind of pellet food (NLS Thera is great). Some garlic guard is good to get too and will make them more likely to eat it. Basically the metro is a anti parasitic ect but won't bind to the food (needs to be eaten). The focus will bind the metro to the food, so it stays on. The garlic guard will make it far more palatable to the fish. However, I've used just plain garlic juice before and it worked great.

Did you see any signs of disease in the tank they were in? Heavy breathing, dying fish, spots, etc? Are they showing any signs of stress or whatever, e.g. heavy breathing, scratching, wierd swimming?

Corals look happy! Definitely a nice colony of radioactive dragon eye zoas (first pic), a watermelon discosoma mushroom (second pic), and a hairy mushroom I think.
They were in separate shipments, orange had been there for three weeks and everyone in his tank was pretty active and most had paired off.

White was part of tuesdays shipment and everyone in that tank seemed fine too there was just alot more of them.

Right now theyre both hanging out swimming next to eachother but before feeding they were on opposite sides of the tank. To be fair i also don't really know *normal* behavior for these guys.

So saltwater fish are treated similar to fresh water? Let me check the medicine cabinet! I know we have garlic guard and focus just don't remember which meds.

Culprit

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
They were in separate shipments, orange had been there for three weeks and everyone in his tank was pretty active and most had paired off.

White was part of tuesdays shipment and everyone in that tank seemed fine too there was just alot more of them.

Right now theyre both hanging out swimming next to eachother but before feeding they were on opposite sides of the tank. To be fair i also don't really know *normal* behavior for these guys.

So saltwater fish are treated similar to fresh water? Let me check the medicine cabinet! I know we have garlic guard and focus just don't remember which meds.
Hopefully they pair up soon! Are they both pretty small? If/when they pair up they'll swim around each other, or be near each other. Howeve,r my previous clown pair was "paired" but never swam near each other. Also, one will become smaller and one will get bigger.

Kinda. Saltwater disease is a way bigger deal then freshwater. It will kill, quickly, and there's lots more types and its lots more common. But yes, some of the diseases and treatments are roughly the same. Metro is a great med to have on hand, you can use it for antibacterial, you can use it with a lot of meds, anti parasitc, and it treats brook and uronomea.

HappiestCamper

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Hopefully they pair up soon! Are they both pretty small? If/when they pair up they'll swim around each other, or be near each other. Howeve,r my previous clown pair was "paired" but never swam near each other. Also, one will become smaller and one will get bigger.

Kinda. Saltwater disease is a way bigger deal then freshwater. It will kill, quickly, and there's lots more types and its lots more common. But yes, some of the diseases and treatments are roughly the same. Metro is a great med to have on hand, you can use it for antibacterial, you can use it with a lot of meds, anti parasitc, and it treats brook and uronomea.
If you had to guess at its survival chance what would you guess? We're still within the return window and I'm in love but its also alot of money....

Culprit

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
For the parasites they can live their life with them so they're not a big deal. You definitely want them out though, and the metro/focus/food treatment is extremely easy on the fish, and will clean them out quickly. If they have no other diseases I'd peg it at 100%

HappiestCamper

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
For the parasites they can live their life with them so they're not a big deal. You definitely want them out though, and the metro/focus/food treatment is extremely easy on the fish, and will clean them out quickly. If they have no other diseases I'd peg it at 100%
Awesome thank you for the advice! If this little helmet will eat the meds we will keep and treat. Fingers crossed!!! Meds soaking currently!

Awesome thank you for the advice! If this little helmet will eat the meds we will keep and treat. Fingers crossed!!! Meds soaking currently!
Update he didnt eat any..... orange did though :/ ill try again later tonight... any tips? I tried both in main tank and in breeder box...

Culprit

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
He may not be hungry from the parasite. Did you use some kind of garlic? I believe you can also use frozen food with metro but its a bit harder to get to attach, @stella1979 has done it before I know and she'll know what to do. I'd try again later, and if not then keep trying over the next few days as he might still be stressed out from getting put in and not be hungry.

HappiestCamper

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
He may not be hungry from the parasite. Did you use some kind of garlic? I believe you can also use frozen food with metro but its a bit harder to get to attach, @stella1979 has done it before I know and she'll know what to do. I'd try again later, and if not then keep trying over the next few days as he might still be stressed out from getting put in and not be hungry.
Well they extended the return policy for us so we're going to try our best.

When treating freshwater we had the easiest time with frozen food since the pellets dissolved (like they did today) so im going to pick up a small frozen food on my way home to try.

Another store said something about baking the food to reharden or something? Idk

Also does anyone know anything about prazipro?

stella1979

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Hi Hmm, I can't say I have a ton of experience with disease, but I did successfully treat internal parasites using medicated frozen foods. Here's how that went...

Pellets are better at absorbing meds, but I didn't know if my fish, a clown, and a watchman goby, would eat pellets. So, I tested that out with unmedicated pellets, which the clown ate greedily, and the goby didn't touch. That answered that, so I followed directions for medicating frozen food. They were to mix 1 Tablespoon of thawed food with 1 scoop Metroplex, 1 scoop Focus, and some garlic for flavor. I covered the little bowl and stored it in the fridge for 30-45 minutes before transferring to a zip-top bag, pressing flat, and refreezing. Flattening in a bag allows us to break off only what we need for a single treatment.

I'm of the mind, that like with humans, medications work best when a consistent level is maintained within the fish. So, I set an alarm and was sure to feed the medicated food twice a day, 12 hours apart. It was tough to watch the fish often enough, and I didn't see much for 5 days... no normal waste, but no stringy stuff either. On day 6, I despaired that I saw white stringy waste from the clown, but the recommended treatment period is 10-21 days, so I just continued. On day 8, I saw normal waste! Yay!! Saw that again on day 9 and 10, so I stopped treatment after day 10 and continued to monitor the fish in qt as closely as I could for another 9 days while I put them through a Prazi treatment. Then, they went in the reef tank, and they've been happy and healthy ever since.

PraziPro is a de-wormer. It works for common flukes and the like. It's also very gentle, and I use it on every fish I bring home. I learned how effective and gentle this was when I had my first fish (Scorch the firefish) and just a few corals in the reef tank... before I had a qt. Scorch had been with us for about 4 weeks when he suddenly started flashing and shaking his head a lot. We could see some little worm-like thing moving around in his head! Probably flukes that entered through his gills at some point, and grew to eventually bother him. I was, of course, reluctant to dose the reef tank, but had no other choice. As soon as Prazi hit the water, the flukes erupted out of Scorch's head. It was wild as heck, but he seemed to immediately feel better and has been free of flukes since. That was about a year and a half ago, and yep, I've used Prazi several times since on new fish. This is the one med that I will dose without any symptoms.

HappiestCamper

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Hi Hmm, I can't say I have a ton of experience with disease, but I did successfully treat internal parasites using medicated frozen foods. Here's how that went...

Pellets are better at absorbing meds, but I didn't know if my fish, a clown, and a watchman goby, would eat pellets. So, I tested that out with unmedicated pellets, which the clown ate greedily, and the goby didn't touch. That answered that, so I followed directions for medicating frozen food. They were to mix 1 Tablespoon of thawed food with 1 scoop Metroplex, 1 scoop Focus, and some garlic for flavor. I covered the little bowl and stored it in the fridge for 30-45 minutes before transferring to a zip-top bag, pressing flat, and refreezing. Flattening in a bag allows us to break off only what we need for a single treatment.

I'm of the mind, that like with humans, medications work best when a consistent level is maintained within the fish. So, I set an alarm and was sure to feed the medicated food twice a day, 12 hours apart. It was tough to watch the fish often enough, and I didn't see much for 5 days... no normal waste, but no stringy stuff either. On day 6, I despaired that I saw white stringy waste from the clown, but the recommended treatment period is 10-21 days, so I just continued. On day 8, I saw normal waste! Yay!! Saw that again on day 9 and 10, so I stopped treatment after day 10 and continued to monitor the fish in qt as closely as I could for another 9 days while I put them through a Prazi treatment. Then, they went in the reef tank, and they've been happy and healthy ever since.

PraziPro is a de-wormer. It works for common flukes and the like. It's also very gentle, and I use it on every fish I bring home. I learned how effective and gentle this was when I had my first fish (Scorch the firefish) and just a few corals in the reef tank... before I had a qt. Scorch had been with us for about 4 weeks when he suddenly started flashing and shaking his head a lot. We could see some little worm-like thing moving around in his head! Probably flukes that entered through his gills at some point, and grew to eventually bother him. I was, of course, reluctant to dose the reef tank, but had no other choice. As soon as Prazi hit the water, the flukes erupted out of Scorch's head. It was wild as heck, but he seemed to immediately feel better and has been free of flukes since. That was about a year and a half ago, and yep, I've used Prazi several times since on new fish. This is the one med that I will dose without any symptoms.
Wow thank you so much! I'll update during my experience. Just to clarify you treated metro days 1-10 and prazi for days 11-21?

Can I ask what your qt routine looks like so I can do better moving forward? With freshwater I don't preventively medicate, sounds like maybe I should with salt?

stella1979

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
No probs. Yes, I treated with Metro for days 1-10 but skipped a few before Prazi. The idea was to get them comfy and fat with un-medicated food first, then probably did Prazi for 14-22.

Ermm, here's the thing about meds... we should ALWAYS follow manufacturer's directions because they are the ones that have tested their product for safety and effectiveness. However, a member knowledgeable in meds, that I highly trust, but is no longer around, once told me that Prazi loses effectiveness rather fast, and is doing nothing for the fish after day 4. So, contrary to directions, I dose Prazi, (let's just call it day 1), then on the morning of day 5 I do a 50% water change and do a second dose of Prazi. On the morning of day 9, I do another 50% wc and put carbon in the filter. From there, the fish are watched for any other signs of disease. And this is usually how I start qt, but not on the day I bring them home. Instead, I let them get comfy and dose Prazi 4-5 days after bringing a fish home.

With my clown and goby, I saw white stringy poo before I began the Prazi treatment, so completed the Metro treatment first. After 10 days of Metro, a 3 or 4 day break with lots of food, then my standard Prazi treatment, the fish were closely observed for another week, then finally granted entry to the reef tank. Yes, I make fish run the gauntlet before they are granted entry, and that's kind of sad. I've had my share of losses though, and am firm in my belief that illness in the reef tank may be much sadder. I've picked what I believe to be the lesser of two evils.

Just to be clear, my standard QT protocol is to watch the fish for less than a week, and if they show zero symptoms of illness, I hit them with Prazi anyway, which is a 9-day treatment. Then they are watched again and will be treated for anything that pops up. If symptoms appear before Prazi, I will treat the obvious problem first. My war chest contains Prazi, Metro, Focus, Rid Ich+ (containing malachite green & formalin), Copper, and a copper test kit.

stella1979

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
No probs. Yes, I treated with Metro for days 1-10 but skipped a few before Prazi. The idea was to get them comfy and fat with un-medicated food first, then probably did Prazi for 14-22.

Ermm, here's the thing about meds... we should ALWAYS follow manufacturer's directions because they are the ones that have tested their product for safety and effectiveness. However, a member knowledgeable in meds, that I highly trust, but is no longer around, once told me that Prazi loses effectiveness rather fast, and is doing nothing for the fish after day 4. So, contrary to directions, I dose Prazi, (let's just call it day 1), then on the morning of day 5 I do a 50% water change and do a second dose of Prazi. On the morning of day 9, I do another 50% wc and put carbon in the filter. From there, the fish are watched for any other signs of disease. And this is usually how I start qt, but not on the day I bring them home. Instead, I let them get comfy and dose Prazi 4-5 days after bringing a fish home.

With my clown and goby, I saw white stringy poo before I began the Prazi treatment, so completed the Metro treatment first. After 10 days of Metro, a 3 or 4 day break with lots of food, then my standard Prazi treatment, the fish were closely observed for another week, then finally granted entry to the reef tank. Yes, I make fish run the gauntlet before they are granted entry, and that's kind of sad. I've had my share of losses though, and am firm in my belief that illness in the reef tank may be much sadder. I've picked what I believe to be the lesser of two evils.

Just to be clear, my standard QT protocol is to watch the fish for less than a week, and if they show zero symptoms of illness, I hit them with Prazi anyway, which is a 9-day treatment. Then they are watched again and will be treated for anything that pops up. If symptoms appear before Prazi, I will treat the obvious problem first. My war chest contains Prazi, Metro, Focus, Rid Ich+ (containing malachite green & formalin), Copper, and a copper test kit.

HappiestCamper

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Feeling disheartened

White still won't eat. I tried this time with frozen mysis as advised above. He seems excited that food is added, goes up like he's gonna eat but doesnt open his mouth.

I even tried with the filter off as to not add flow.

Orange ate plenty.

Any ideas?

Still not eating this morning either... i think we're going to have to exchange white.

These guys never really went through a fighting stage so more I'm nervous about orange being introduced to someone new now that he has the upper hand.

We took white back I liked their corals and employees but their manager lost our business.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom