Happiestcamper Getting Salty - Page 2

  • Thread Starter

HappiestCamper

Member
stella1979 said:
Wow! The tank looks great and the corals look more than happy. I feel ya on the LFS fish... even in stores I like!
Thank you

Glad I'm not the only one with the LFS. Even the place we thought we liked lost us on her customer service and attitude towards fish
 
  • Thread Starter

HappiestCamper

Member
Newest addition
 
  • Moderator

stella1979

Moderator
Member
So pretty.
 

Dawn Michele

Member
Beautiful!!!
 

Culprit

Member
I'm super jelly!!
 
  • Thread Starter

HappiestCamper

Member
Thanks everyone! This urchin is my current favorite after the clowns. It's always travelling all over cleaning and munching as it goes.

My large emerald crab is doing great now, very active! I know 1/3 of the smaller emeralds is doing fine but I haven't seen the other two for awhile so time will tell

We're considering trying an anemone to see if we can get the clowns hosted. Right now theyre hosted to the back glass :/.

Also considering a lettuce nudibranch

Any thoughts?
 
  • Moderator

stella1979

Moderator
Member
There's all this advice out there about designer clowns being having been bred in captivity, and so may have no idea what to do with a nem because they've never seen one. It's true that a clown doesn't need a nem... but that doesn't keep mine from trying to make friends with my torch.o_O I think the nem's a great idea and the only concern I have about it is how it will walk around your tank, finding it's perfect spot, and your corals will be in danger in the meantime. This is always the risk when introducing a nem to a reef tank though, and the risk is ongoing since they do like to take walks sometimes. Yet, people do it all the time. Just be aware of the risks and take any precautions you can. Oh! Don't forget to cover pumps and powerheads. as nems too often find their way into them and get chewed.

I think I'd also like a lettuce nudi. My hold up is reports saying they don't tend to last long. Much like a nem, pumps present a danger to them, as might nippy fish, and idk, but perhaps they just don't thrive in aquaria. More research is needed here, as my knowledge thus far is limited. Though, I'm glad you brought it up. Maybe we'll learn together.
 
  • Thread Starter

HappiestCamper

Member
stella1979 said:
There's all this advice out there about designer clowns being having been bred in captivity, and so may have no idea what to do with a nem because they've never seen one. It's true that a clown doesn't need a nem... but that doesn't keep mine from trying to make friends with my torch.o_O I think the nem's a great idea and the only concern I have about it is how it will walk around your tank, finding it's perfect spot, and your corals will be in danger in the meantime. This is always the risk when introducing a nem to a reef tank though, and the risk is ongoing since they do like to take walks sometimes. Yet, people do it all the time. Just be aware of the risks and take any precautions you can. Oh! Don't forget to cover pumps and powerheads. as nems too often find their way into them and get chewed.

I think I'd also like a lettuce nudi. My hold up is reports saying they don't tend to last long. Much like a nem, pumps present a danger to them, as might nippy fish, and idk, but perhaps they just don't thrive in aquaria. More research is needed here, as my knowledge thus far is limited. Though, I'm glad you brought it up. Maybe we'll learn together.
I think it couldn't hurt to try one, I just think it would be both interesting and adorable to watch them together.

I'm still in the research phase for the lettuce but they are just SO cute!! When people talk about covering power heads do they mean the sponge piece that comes with the power head? Or like throwing nylon or something on the back end?

Do you have a tank thread I could follow? I'd love to see pictures!!
 
  • Moderator

stella1979

Moderator
Member
The lettuce nudis are totally cute, and I'd love to have a nudI that thrives long term. I had a terrible aiptasia outbreak that ultimately could only be solved with Berghia nudis... obligate eaters of aiptasia. I loved them! Though... they hid well and I didn't see them a whole lot. I wish I could have kept them but sadly, they don't last once the aiptasia is gone.

Those sponge pieces that go around a powerhead are used by some but they're not really a failsafe because they leave the front and back open. So, I find using something like pantyhose or plastic canvas to completely cover the powerhead is a better option.

Do I have a salty thread??? Why yes, yes I do. It's rather long but I do try to keep up with the deets on the tank in the very first post. I'm not the greatest picture taker either but I do try. There should be a few big picture updates in the last few pages. It's linked in my signature, but if you're not on a PC you may not see signatures, so...

Stella's Salty 20g
 
  • Thread Starter

HappiestCamper

Member
Ugh I just learned a saltwater lesson the hard way

I accidently bumped the lid while cleaning the glass and a chunk of salt creep fell directly onto our blasto

I don't foresee it recovering
 
  • Moderator

stella1979

Moderator
Member
Oh no!! I'm so sorry. Losing coral to one's mistakes is sad, and a hard pill to swallow. I've got a favorite, this unidentified little acro, who is suffering from a big mistake I made. Idk if he'll recover, but if he does, it's going to be an achingly slow process. I lost softies, (mostly zoas) like crazy in the early days, no less than 10 frags I'd say, but that was easily chalked up to some mysterious reason that my tank couldn't support them. So while I was sad, I didn't feel all that guilty about it, and any that I did was swept away when zoas started thriving about a year later and I came to believe that zoas just needed a mature tank in my case. However, I've been kicking myself every day for the past few weeks, as my two most sensitive and expensive corals have not been looking good at all. I got them for a really sweet price too, and I doubt I'd be able to replace them for less than triple the cost of what I originally paid. Sorry, not trying to make this about me, just commiserating and letting you know that I know exactly how it hurts when you feel responsible for a coral loss. If the loss of life under our care weren't enough, it also feels like money, time, and research wasted. Ugh... mistakes do happen though, so the only thing to do is learn from them and keep on keepin' on.
 

Lchi87

Member
Sorry about your blasto Losing coral because of accidents or mistakes are a real bummer. We’ve all been there so don’t sweat it.
 
  • Thread Starter

HappiestCamper

Member
Ugh poor thing

Hopefully yours pull through! Slow and steady wins the race right?
 

Culprit

Member
Can you see the skeleton anywhere through the flesh? He looks OK, just **** off. If he didn't try to eat it i'd say he'll be ok.
 
  • Thread Starter

HappiestCamper

Member
The burn includes the "mouth"
I'm not sure how to know if he tried to eat it.

Is there anything I can do to increase its survival chance?

I'm also not sure about the skeleton part... :/
 

Lchi87

Member
He doesn't look too bad...Coral can actually be pretty hardy and can bounce back. I'd say just keep your levels steady and with some luck he'll perk up. In my relatively limited experience, coral heals best when you just leave it alone and keep your parameters stable so they can focus all their energy on healing. It ain't over till its over!
 
  • Thread Starter

HappiestCamper

Member
I gotta hand it to you Lchi87, it really looks like it is getting better, much to my suprise!

Thanks for the encouragement guys!

Fingers crossed !!!!
 
  • Thread Starter

HappiestCamper

Member
School has been kicking my BUTT gearing up for the first round of clinicals, here's an update!

All is well currently!

Added a new light about a month ago, started switching to RO/DI yesterday.

Rehomed a pistol shrimp who turned out to be a murderous JERK.

Current stock:
2 clownfish
1 watchman goby
1 green BTA
1 pin cushion urchin
1 short spine urchin
1 tuxedo urchin
3 (?) Emerald green crabs
2 types of snail...I don't remember

Corals:
Duncan
Hammer
Acan
Blasto
Lobo
Zoa
Discosoma
Unidentified mushroom
Pulsing xenia

We're still loving it and of course learning from mistakes along the way. Had a power outage that took out some inverts. But other than that its been suspiciously smooth sailing!

Seeing coral growth is super exciting! The anemone is pretty new to us, of course we're hoping to convince the clowns to check it out



 

Jay15

Member
HappiestCamper said:
School has been kicking my BUTT gearing up for the first round of clinicals, here's an update!

All is well currently!

Added a new light about a month ago, started switching to RO/DI yesterday.

Rehomed a pistol shrimp who turned out to be a murderous JERK.

Current stock:
2 clownfish
1 watchman goby
1 green BTA
1 pin cushion urchin
1 short spine urchin
1 tuxedo urchin
3 (?) Emerald green crabs
2 types of snail...I don't remember

Corals:
Duncan
Hammer
Acan
Blasto
Lobo
Zoa
Discosoma
Unidentified mushroom
Pulsing xenia

We're still loving it and of course learning from mistakes along the way. Had a power outage that took out some inverts. But other than that its been suspiciously smooth sailing!

Seeing coral growth is super exciting! The anemone is pretty new to us, of course we're hoping to convince the clowns to check it out



Beautiful! We had a saltwater tank a few years ago. Definitely more challenging than freshwater but it was fun! Yours looks great!
 
  • Thread Starter

HappiestCamper

Member
Thank you! We're hooked but now we have too many tanks... we're already planning a big salt tank after school though LOL

Of course after I posted my update we did a rescape

Also can anyone ID this SPS
 
  • Moderator

stella1979

Moderator
Member
The tank looks great!.

I have a story about a murderous pistol shrimp too. Someday we'll have to swap.

Hmm, I think the unknown SPS might be a pocillopora, aka the cauliflower coral.
 
  • Thread Starter

HappiestCamper

Member
stella1979 said:
The tank looks great!.

I have a story about a murderous pistol shrimp too. Someday we'll have to swap.

Hmm, I think the unknown SPS might be a pocillopora, aka the cauliflower coral.
Ill look into that coral! What did you pistol take out???

We also have an emerald crab that's acting out lately -_- he's pushing his luck!

Anyone have experience with Acropora??
 
  • Thread Starter

HappiestCamper

Member
Some updates
We switched to a canister, upgraded our lights and went to "reef worx" and picked up a fungia, a headless horseman acan echinada, and the pink coral pictured below...I forgot the name

The blasto made a full come back, gaining lots of color back. Which I'm pretty excited about!

We also picked up this little clam a few weeks ago.

I LOVE THE SALTY SIDE!!!!


opinions: is it worth upgrading from the 25 gal to the 40 breeder that I already have on deck?

We're going to build a house in the next two years and after that were doing a much larger custom build. So that would be two tank moves in the next 4 years ?
 

Culprit

Member
The pink coral is a montipora setosa. One of my fav SPS. Lots of color!

The tank is looking great and I love that clam. A clam is deifnitely on my buy-next list. What lights do you have now? Is it an AI Prime?

IMO... If you have the equipment already and cost will be little enough yuo can manage it easily then yes. A 40 breeder has a fantastic footprint for a reef tank. You would love it a lot more then the 25, the extra depth and width makes a huge difference.
 
  • Thread Starter

HappiestCamper

Member
Culprit said:
The pink coral is a montipora setosa. One of my fav SPS. Lots of color!

The tank is looking great and I love that clam. A clam is deifnitely on my buy-next list. What lights do you have now? Is it an AI Prime?

IMO... If you have the equipment already and cost will be little enough yuo can manage it easily then yes. A 40 breeder has a fantastic footprint for a reef tank. You would love it a lot more then the 25, the extra depth and width makes a huge difference.
That right! I just couldn't remember, from what I've seen it should add a nice pop of color and texture

Thank you it's hard not to add another clam but I know I shouldn't

It is an AI prime, for the 40 would you add another?? It would still just be run off a canister like this one :/

I'm not sure if it's because this current tank is small but we've been getting great growth with this basic set up, I'm wondering if it wouldn't work as easy in a 40.... thoughts?

Currently we just run the filter, lights and 2 pumps. Weekly water changes daily top offs. No skimmer/sump/fuge. (We tried the hang on the back fuge and it was just an algae mess)

One more pic for fun
 

Phish_Phan

Member
Is that an urchin? What kind? Looks cool under the lights


How hard are clams to keep healthy? That thing looks awesome too
 

Culprit

Member
As the corals start building up, and especially with that clam, I'd highly suggest starting to test once a week. Just test alk, calcium, and mag. Test Nitrates and PO4 every few weeks if they're under control. But before you know it the corals will be using more then you replace in your water changes and next thing you know you're in the middle of a tank crash because of alk swings or too low of alk. It happened to me and Lchi87 . That clam especially will suck up your alk and calcium.

I would definitely add anohter AI Prime for a 40 breeder. What kind of canister are you running? What do you have inside?

In a 40, your going to have better dimensions for more fish, but that also means bigger water changes. Still the same percentage but more water to get that percentage. I would suggest, if you go for a bigger tank, using some kind of nutrient export other then water changes. Its a lot harder to do a 50% water change on a 40 instead of a 25, where you can take out 10 gal vs 20. If it were me, I'd do one of three things. One: convert your canister into a fuge/cheato reactor. This could be the easiest route depending on the canister. Two: Try again with the HOB fuge. I think we could help you through it a little better then before. Or Three: just get a cheato reactor, you can get a good one for about $80. Any of those will take care of nutrients for you.
 
  • Thread Starter

HappiestCamper

Member
[QUOTE/]One: convert your canister into a fuge/cheato reactor. This could be the easiest route depending on the canister. Two: Try again with the HOB fuge. I think we could help you through it a little better then before. Or Three: just get a cheato reactor, you can get a good one for about $80. Any of those will take care of nutrients for you.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for taking the time to guide a newbie Culprit

I forgot to mention we also use this stuff as needed... thoughts?


Investing in another AI is great anyway because we could always use them for either the future tank or whatever else we dream up We just have the default contents plus some extra media and we don't run the UV currently. I'd love any tips you have to take full advantage of this process!!!


Thanks for reminding me about the water as it is much more of a process for saltwater than it was when I did a 40 as fresh.... sounds like we may want to finally buy an RODI system because that's way more buckets...

What are your thoughts on option one with this canister? In the mean time Ill look into option 3, I'm not completely against option 2 it's just less visually appealing but worth considering.

One more question! What is the best way to go about switching tanks? How does that affect things like nems which generally require a more established tank? This seems like a much different beast to compared to fresh water....


Phish_Phan said:
Is that an urchin? What kind? Looks cool under the lights


How hard are clams to keep healthy? That thing looks awesome too
It is an urchin! One of three that we have if I remember correctly that one is a pin cushion.... we started calling him "jack" they're fun to watch AFTER you glue everything down or they really are bulldozers our [tuxedo/royal urchin] Duke decided to pick some Zoas as a fancy hat


This is our first clam so I can't speak much yet but to our understanding, great lights, calcium and at this small size phytoplankton feeding is a MUST. Once bigger it becomes much more efficient at photosynthesis

 

Culprit

Member
That aquavitro stuff looks like it does the same job as kalkwasser- that is raise KH and boost pH. Just keep an eye on your kh to make sure you're not overdosing.

So it looks like the canister filter will not be able to be converted to a reactor. I have a few canister filters that are seethrough/opaque and if it was one of those you could just wrap it in grow lights. The thing with a canister filter is you need to make sure you clean it, often. Otherwise it will become a nitrate factory.

This is what I use as a reactor....
Running it with a maxijet and have it in my stand next to my sump. You could also just run it straight from the tank down to the stand, like a canister filter.

Switching tanks is a real pain in the butt. I just did it from a 20 to a 75. Biggest thing is to have a plan and lots and lots of towells. You'll want to transfer all the water over. Make sure your sandbed is clean before the move, with lots of vaccuming during water changes. You don't want a nutrient laden sandbed. What I did, was I drained it by 50% and put the water in 5 gal buckets. One bucket for fish, one for corals, and one for rock. Some rock went into the fish and coral buckets too. I put a heater in the coral bucket, and ran an airstone in all three. Then I drained the rest of the water into a brute, and then took the rock and rockscaped in the new tank. Then I scooped the sand out of the old one and transferred it into the new tank. After that was transferred I finished filling it with new sand as it needed more. Then, I filled the new tank up with the brute, it only was about 10 gal, but it was enough to keep the rock wet. Then, I'd premixed 60 gallons of saltwater in brutes. I filled it up to just under 15 gallons left to fill, and then tossed all the corals on the sandbed, put the fish in, and filled it the rest of the way up with water from my buckets. I started all the equipment running with a fresh filter sock and let it clear up. It was a real pain but after its over its really worth it.
 
  • Thread Starter

HappiestCamper

Member
Is the picture working for you? Its a jumble of a TON of letters on the mobile app.

Did you notice much of a crash with your process?
 

Culprit

Member
HappiestCamper said:
Is the picture working for you? Its a jumble of a TON of letters on the mobile app.

Did you notice much of a crash with your process?
Oops my bad! I thought it would pop up a shortened link like it usually does. Just search bashsea reactor and its the blue and black one.

Nope, no crash at all. By the next day the tank had cleared up (there was a ton of crud on the sandbed), and corals were all out and happy. A week later and you would never know anything happened. No deaths.
 
  • Thread Starter

HappiestCamper

Member
Culprit said:
Oops my bad! I thought it would pop up a shortened link like it usually does. Just search bashsea reactor and its the blue and black one.

Nope, no crash at all. By the next day the tank had cleared up (there was a ton of crud on the sandbed), and corals were all out and happy. A week later and you would never know anything happened. No deaths.
Did you do the thing where you wrap it in lights? Or do you run as is?
 

Culprit

Member
HappiestCamper said:
Did you do the thing where you wrap it in lights? Or do you run as is?
Wrap it in LED grow lights.
 

agsansoo

Member
Keep up the great work Happiest ! I need to see more photos of your clownfish.
 
  • Thread Starter

HappiestCamper

Member
Thank you Culprit, I think we're doing it
agsansoo said:
Keep up the great work Happiest ! I need to see more photos of your clownfish.
Thank you My clowns are my weakness I just wish I could do more than one pair I want them all


Cheeks here thinks she's the boss lady of the tank AND the house. A nippy brat but I ♡ her. Good thing she's stuck in a tank
 

Culprit

Member
Awesome, I think you'll love it for nutrient export. Your pod population should boom as well.

That clown is so freaking cute. Watch out, if you get her a nem to host once she grows up more she'll get even worse. At work I've had clowns try to jump out of the tank at my hand
 
  • Thread Starter

HappiestCamper

Member
Culprit said:
Awesome, I think you'll love it for nutrient export. Your pod population should boom as well.

That clown is so freaking cute. Watch out, if you get her a nem to host once she grows up more she'll get even worse. At work I've had clowns try to jump out of the tank at my hand
We have a nem but they don't seem to care about it silly clowns. Its hard to picture them not being tiny some day! But I could absolutely see cheeks being that bold.

Also a general update and photo drop:

Our nem has been throwing a tantrum, turns out we may have had a ph drop (we used to have crappy bulbs in the house now we have amazing ones... so when I checked in the fish room I thought 8.4 but in the good light its clearly 8... not sure if I've been misreading this whole time or it actually dropped embarrassing] and I found out the dKH level I thought was fine (8) was actually a little low.
It *'seems* to be calming down...



At its worst one side was dark and shriveled looking... fingers crossed ... on the same note our clam dropped its foot this morning.... doesn't look good
Guess some lessons come hard...

On a positive note:

I finally got a decent picture of Spike



We're seeing some great coral growth, I'm nervous with the recent light switch... how do I know if I'm acclimating slow enough??


Favia

Tux/Mr.Bond, Urchin Bond


Started with only 4 heads


And a full tank shot because I'm digging it lately.



Sorry for the long post
 
  • Thread Starter

HappiestCamper

Member
Did some big things this weekend. We lovingly said goodbye to the freshwater hobby. It's been a great 8 year run. 4 tanks has just been too much to juggle with college, work, and externships.

The 40 gallon is currently in the rockscape phase. Trying many different options of course, however there's no way to know what will ultimately be decided until we're ready to do the switch so we can use the live rock too.

We have one mushroom baby that started growing on one of the main rocks... I haven't quite decided how to deal with that, but I'd like to be able to scape with that rock...hmm

And here's a pic of our newest baby
 
  • Thread Starter

HappiestCamper

Member
Loving the upgrade and the salty side ♡♡♡♡

 

Jesterrace

Member
Very nice. It's true that freshwater just can't match the colors of saltwater. Loving my new Frogspawn Coral Frag that I got and it in turn seems to be loving life in my tank (Polyps are nice and fat and growing). Even since shooting this vid it has grown:

 
  • Moderator

stella1979

Moderator
Member
Fabulous!!!
 
  • Thread Starter

HappiestCamper

Member
I need to start talking videos more because yours was cool!

Our euphyllia has been much happier looking in the new tank, it's making us want more

 
  • Thread Starter

HappiestCamper

Member
Holy smokes we have learned so many lessons this past year!

Has anyone else gone salty??

 

Most photos, videos and links are disabled if you are not logged in.

Log in or register to view

Top Bottom