Happiest Tanks ♡

Discussion in 'Member Blogs' started by HappiestCamper, Apr 15, 2017.

1. HappiestCamper

HappiestCamper Well Known Member Member

I just wanted to start a thread so I can watch my tank evolve through time

As of today there is

-5.5 Cycling mainly for shrimp and potentially also fish currently only holds duvkweed

-25 gallon semi aggressive community
    (my guys tank)
    *6barbs *1krib and planted with swords
    Plans to try adding corys, potentially will end up in 29 gal

29 gallon peaceful community:
    *1 electric blue ram *5lemon tetra *1wood shrimp *1 cherry/5 bloody mary shrimp *1vampire shrimp
    The exciting things in this tank tonight:
    -my wood shrimp successfully melted for the first time since I bought him
    -four of the new bloody Mary's were seen having a powwow tonight so that means at least 4 have survived so far!

Pictures of all the tanks to come but for tonight a showdown ROTTWEILER VS RAM: [​IMG]

Attached Files:

2. APierce

APierce Well Known Member Member

That dog is funny! Dogs don't try to go after fish...like cats do they?!

3. OP
    OP
    HappiestCamper

This dog presses his nose to the glass and stomps to try and make the fish "play" luckily unlike cats he can't just jump on top and reach in

Theseus and the ram have daily show downs, sometimes him and the 25s krib showdown too

4. MattS99

MattS99 Well Known Member Member

Tank looks nice! Plants look healthy, great coloration on the ram. Would you suggest them for a community tank?

5. APierce

APierce Well Known Member Member

I've had cats that will play "fetch"....luckily I don't have any dogs, they might think they can catch the fish too!

6. OP
    OP
    HappiestCamper

Thank you! Honestly I just got this one a week or so ago so I can't say too much yet. BUT so far he's been great, more curios than anything and so far leaves my shrimp alone. *knocks on wood*

7. MattS99

I'm looking for something to add to my 20g long. On my shortlist. 5 Colombian Tetras, a platy and a guppy, both male. Kinda done with livebearers. Been keeping them since I was 6 or 7.

8. OP
    OP
    HappiestCamper

I don't blame you, I've never been a livebearer fan. It's my understanding that the Columbian tetras are more semi aggressive and fin nippers. But definitely start a thread in the "stocking" section and people who've actually kept them will probably jump right in with better info!!

9. MattS99

Already did. Got a few replies. I've had my Colombians for about 2 years now. Never showed aggression towards anything but themselves. One of my favorite fish that I've ever kept.

10. OP
    OP
    HappiestCamper

29 gallon as of today. Definitely needs some aquascaping.. totally open to suggestions on plants/layout etc!

[​IMG]

25 gallon no real changes but we finally got it off the ground !!, hoping to try out albino corys Wednesday and maybe add two more barbs eventually...

[​IMG]

The sad little 5.5, waiting for the wood to get waterlogged. Needs to be remineralized and some live plants. Honestly not sure the best route to go for adding shrimp...?
    [​IMG]

11. MattS99

What kind of shrimp did you want to add? I might actually know something about this.

12. OP
    OP
    HappiestCamper

The plan is to do one colony of neocaridina and one of caridina for variety without interbreeding... red of one and blue if the other but we haven't actually decided which of which

Edit* as of right now we're thinking sky blue velvet (neocaridina) and crystal shrimp.

I've just never added shrimp to a tank that hasn't already happily housed fish

Also on a side note, in the 29 gal, after looking more closely I belive it was my vampire shrimp who molted! Today's one of the first days it's been visible since we brought it home so that exciting! [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 16, 2017
  13. FishL:))

FishL:)) Well Known Member Member

Love it !! :)

14. MattS99

As long as you have some kind of algae I believe that shrimp should be fine. Maybe even drop some flakes and let them sink if you really wanted to add them soon.

15. OP
    OP
    HappiestCamper

Was I clear that the shrimp in question is for the new empty 5.5 ? Just seeing if the advice is the same?

The 29 already happily houses shrimp

16. MattS99

I was talking about the 5.5. Advice should be the same.

17. OP
    OP
    HappiestCamper

Perfect thank you !!!

18. MattS99

No problem! How's that GBR been doing? I can't find any of the other dwarf cichlids I'm interested in at an LFS or online (Apparently the fish is seasonal). Might just go to PetCo tomorrow and pick one up.

19. OP
    OP
    HappiestCamper

So far so good I think! I love him so far ♡ but its still only been a week or two
    [​IMG]

20. MattS99

He looks good! I'd get a pair but I'm a bit overstocked for two right now. Guppy and platy are giving me stocking problems. But from what I've seen from yours and suggestions others have made to me it looks like they can thrive on their own, so I'm considering it.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice