Happiest day ever!

Status
Not open for further replies.

loachaholic

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I saw a little black thing darting around in my plants earlier and thought 'whaat, do I have little bugs living in there?' and on closer inspection...

I have BABY FISH!

These are my first little fishies ever. I didn't think this would happen so soon! I've only had them for about a month and a half now. I've been noticing two of them have gotten a lot more colorful (beautiful- all their silver spots shine turquoise, the red on their fins has brightened up and they've got red along their bellies) and territorial, one of them's set up shop inside this little plastic rock cave near the front and the other one hangs out in the plants at the back. I can see some bubbles collected inside the mouth of the cave, I guess that's where they spawned 'cause I know there wasn't anything going on at the surface of the water!

I've seen between 2 and 4 so far (never more than 1 at a time) and one of them got sucked up by the one that lives in the cage, i don't know if he was just bringing it back to the nest or eating it but either way I saw a couple more afterwards (which may or may not have been the same one). I took about twenty pictures trying to get one to email my mom, only came out. This is so exciting!

Attachments

Akari_32

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
yay! congrats! baby fish of any kind are always fun =D im just waiting for my favorite female guppy to drop, and i will her to hurry up every day! its driving me NUTS! >.< lol

if you can, you should put them in a breeders net so they dont become lunch for the bigger fishies. i dunno if it works that way for gourami's, but it would make sense.

Butterfly

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Cool! What kind of baby fish are they?
Oh DUH! It is the gourami forum right. So baby gourami! arty0049:
Carol

Last edited:

Lucy

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Congratulations!! Baby Sparklers are the cutest things.
From my few spawns, I was only able to raise one. Looks like you're doing great!

loachaholic

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I've seen four at once a few times, don't know if I'm seeing the same group a few times or if there's quite a few. Though I haven't seen any in quite a while now, and I've seen more than a couple be eaten...

I tried putting two of them in the breeding trap... I don't know if they're still in there or not. If they are they're hiding in the java moss I put in. I saw one a few minutes ago, but I'm not sure about the other one. They're just so TINY I wouldn't be surprised if they managed to slip out; I had to wrap a nylon around my net just to catch them, they kept slipping through!

Mom says not to get too attached... I know, but it's so hard not to get excited... My first babies Here's hoping they can hide until they get too big to eat. Or at least the two I caught won't escape and grow up. I'll see if I can catch any more... I'd love to keep at least 1 from my first spawning!

Gone to go search for more...

headsy

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
i have baby gouramis too, and its my first spawning aswell. i managed to lend a small tank of a mate and transplant the nest into it aswell as syphoning about 20-30 extra little fish into the tank. just feeding them on liqui-fry at the minuate and they seem to be doing ok, ill get some piccys tmorow.

loachaholic

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Well, it was fun while it lasted, but it looks like they're all gone. I managed to get 4 into the breeding trap, and saw one in there this morning, but I haven't seen it since I got up so I'm pretty sure they've all escaped. On the bright side, some of my Mystery snails have started hatching. Which is cool 'cause my LFS will give me $1.45 each, and I can trade some with other people I know.

Spent a couple hours today making a new breeding trap for next time- used craft mesh for the structure, wrapped the outside with nylon to prevent future escapees, and put java moss in between so eventually it'll grow through and hopefully be more 'homey' so the fry will be less inclined to try escaping. Also got one spot I want to be able to open and close, idea being the fish swim in and build the nest right in the trap... I'm gonna let it grow over a bit more before I try that though.

I'd love to see your babies Headsy! Sounds like you got way more than me o_O I never even saw a nest, just a handful of baby fishies.

EDIT: Pic of the fish I think is the 'daddy'. Little things are fascinated by the camera, but not enough to stay still for it! Got some nice shots of his sparkle and one that's in focus. You can also see one of my otos swimming in the background (figures the only time I manage to catch him is when I'm going after someone else! )

Attachments

Last edited:

loachaholic

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I can't say I wasn't half-expecting this. Ah well, I have high hopes for the new breeding trap. Though I can definitely think of a few things I'd change for next time.

And good news! I think they're close to breeding again. The male's colors are certainly brightening up, and I've seen him clicking and displaying at the female. Hopefully I'll see him crouching in his cave in the near future. Does anyone know how long it takes for their eggs to hatch? I've been trying to find out and having no luck.

You know, what weirds me out is that they've built it in a cave, not up on the surface. I mean, no nest would survive up there, my tank is so narrow it's just one big whirlpool. But I figured they'd just give up. Resourceful little fella! I think I'll puff a bit of air in there to make his job a bit easier

Lucy

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
My Sparklers didn't build a nest at the surface either. They preferred under a peice of drift wood.
I'm sorry, I forget how long it took the eggs to hatch. I'd guess about a week, but I'm not positive.

Good luck with the next spawn!

headsy

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
i think the eggs normally hatch 24-48 hours but they arent free swimming for a couple more days, thats how mine were.

loachaholic

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I expect to see more fry in a few days. The dad's been hiding in his cave for at least a day now, venturing out only to scare away someone who's gotten a little too close. I bought some fry food yesterday, and found another batch of mozzie larvae for the parents. They just LOVE chasing after them.

Now I just have to figure out what I'm gonna do with them all, hopefully I can sell them to stores, or maybe trade them for some plants. Could use a lot more java moss for the breeding trap. Well, time will tell, as will how many I'm able to catch!

izzyfishfarmer

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
i remember when my black molly had her babies it happened the same way i thought i had bugs lol i had to get a breeder net as they got eaten very quickly i have 7 doing wonderfully congrats hope they do well

Lucy

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I expect to see more fry in a few days. The dad's been hiding in his cave for at least a day now, venturing out only to scare away someone who's gotten a little too close. I bought some fry food yesterday, and found another batch of mozzie larvae for the parents. They just LOVE chasing after them.

Now I just have to figure out what I'm gonna do with them all, hopefully I can sell them to stores, or maybe trade them for some plants. Could use a lot more java moss for the breeding trap. Well, time will tell, as will how many I'm able to catch!
That's great! When they go into hiding and protect the area, you know somethings going on!
I bet you won't have trouble selling or trading them to the stores. I know the stores around me don't carry them often.

loachaholic

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
The new lot is here!

I have no idea how many there are... I lost count after catching the first 5... Spent over an hour chasing them down shoulder-deep in the tank, sucking them up with a medicine dropper. My best guess is that I caught somewhere around 50. At one point my oto Oswald came to check things out and sucked on my pinky for a bit XD it was so cute.

One of my LFS said they'd take them for the same amount they pay their supplier, which probably isn't a whole lot considering I only paid 4.80 each, but at 50 fish... I'm never going to have to pay for supplies again o_O especially if they keep spawning twice a week. I may have to start separating the males from the females, lest I be overrun by fish.

In bad news, I lost two of my adult gouramis One was my Runt, the other was a female (not the mother). I think I have 3 males and 2 females now, hopefully if I can tell the sexes apart before I give them away (ha, ha) I'll try and keep 2 females.

Last edited:

Lucy

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Congrats on the new fry! I'm really sorry about your losses, that stinks. I was never able to sex them. They look alike to me. lol
I recently lost one of the parents. I don't know if it was the fem or male.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Bottom