Hanna Digital Checkers and other test kits?

RyanReef

Are they any good? I have the basic API Saltwater Master Test Kit right now while I'm cycling my tank. Eventually in the future I would like to get some corals for my tank and I know they require more extensive testing. I also have a hard time deciphering between colors with test kits. While looking for tests kits I watched some videos on how to perform the tests. Alot of people recommend salifert tests it seems but here's thee thing. When I was 14 I was in a bad car accident. As a result of the accident my right arm is about 95% paralyzed. The apI tests are relatively easy to use but when watching videos how to perform other tests for things I will need to test for it seems like they are fairly complicating and appear that they would be hard to do with 1 hand so I've been checking out some of the Hanna testers. I just wanted others opinions on how reliable they may be, which ones I should consider getting and or if anyone could recommend any other taste kits that won't break the bank and that would be easier to use with 1 hand. I don't want a test kit that I have to Pat my head and rub my tummy at the same time lol. I was looking at Hanna tests for phosphate, Alkalinity, and Calcium so far. I still plan to use API for ph, ammonia, nitrite and nitrate

Also What's the difference between phosphorous and phosphate? I noticed Hanna has a test meter for each.

CindiL

Hey. I have been researching these also. I looked at Hanna, iDip by Sensafe and Seneye. Here is my take on them all.

Hanna, has lots of meters, rated ok but to do what I want in the aquarium is really pricey at around $450 us

Seneye, clever idea and coming out with nitrate and nitrite but you have to buy the new slides of at least $10 every month if not more.

I have decided to order the Sensafe iDip (Industrial Test Systems) where you pick the tests you are interested in and buy the regents and download the software one time to your iphone or android.
The current iDip will do nitrate and nitrite but the new iDip coming out in a couple of weeks will be more pond and aquarium oriented and will also do ammonia. You have the options of about 35 tests. I found the base price more reasonable at $179, then you add the regents (50 tests for 19.99) and only buy the software once. I will be buying that one as soon as they come out with the new model.

RyanReef

The meters I want are the chloramine ones. They're about $60 each. Plus regents which I think are about $15 for 25. This is in Canadian currency. I don't plan on getting any for ammonia, nitrites, nitrates, or ph as I think now my cycle has completed I won't be checking them as often and fwiw for those parameters my API tests have served me well. I don't doubt that the Hanna meters aren't completely accurate but then again, what test kits are? I just was hoping for input from people that have used them. I think they should probably be accurate enough to be in range for what I need? With my disabilities aswell that I explained it's also about ease of use. I've heard good things about the salifert test kits but I'm doubting I'll be able to add drop by drop of any chemical while twirling a vile. That and differentiating colors isn't a very strong point of mine.

CindiL

I don't know, I asked this same question this week and no one really responded so maybe there aren't many people who even have them. I would look at the other brand also (sensafe) because chloramines and many many other tests are available and you can do multiple tests with one unit so in the future "if" there was another test you wanted you'd already have the hardware and would only need to buy the regents and an app for 4.99.

They have many meters, one of them is called chloramines +

https://sensafe.com/

matsungit

The meters I want are the chloramine ones. They're about $60 each. Plus regents which I think are about $15 for 25. This is in Canadian currency. I don't plan on getting any for ammonia, nitrites, nitrates, or ph as I think now my cycle has completed I won't be checking them as often and fwiw for those parameters my API tests have served me well. I don't doubt that the Hanna meters aren't completely accurate but then again, what test kits are? I just was hoping for input from people that have used them. I think they should probably be accurate enough to be in range for what I need? With my disabilities aswell that I explained it's also about ease of use. I've heard good things about the salifert test kits but I'm doubting I'll be able to add drop by drop of any chemical while twirling a vile. That and differentiating colors isn't a very strong point of mine.

RyanReef

Thanks matsungit. Lower down on the page you linked are the type of meters I'm referring to. Not the test strip ones. The Blue one (different tests are different colors) but the ones you linked are for freshwater. This is the saltwater forum. I already know where I plan to order from aswell. Where I plan on ordering from they're $60 but that's Canadian prices which probably works out to about the same. I live in Canada tho so my best bet would be to order where I originally planned to. Plus I'll get free shipping and when I do order they'll be here probably within 5 days. Still gonna be awhile before I order them if I do even and when I do it'll be 1 at a time so I won't be spending a ton of money at once

matsungit

Thanks matsungit. Lower down on the page you linked are the type of meters I'm referring to. Not the test strip ones. The Blue one (different tests are different colors) but the ones you linked are for freshwater. This is the saltwater forum. I already know where I plan to order from aswell. Where I plan on ordering from they're $60 but that's Canadian prices which probably works out to about the same. I live in Canada tho so my best bet would be to order where I originally planned to. Plus I'll get free shipping and when I do order they'll be here probably within 5 days. Still gonna be awhile before I order them if I do even and when I do it'll be 1 at a time so I won't be spending a ton of money at once

I think I'm missing something here. Why would you test for chloramines on saltwater? Where would the chloramines come from? I think most people test for chloramines before adding salt mix.

Also, if you're concerned that your saltwater tank may already have chloramine contamination, just add Seachem Prime which also works on marine.

RyanReef

Oops. I commented while typing 2 things at once. I'm not testing for chloramine I was talking about it somewhere with someone else that showed me some meters and one of the Hanna meters they showed me said chloramine on it. Was trying to tell the that the meters I was talking about looked like the one they showed me that said chloramine on it. Sorry for the confusion. Anyhow, the ones I'm looking at are the ones on the link you posted but I wanna get the ones for saltwater

matsungit

Oops. I commented while typing 2 things at once. I'm not testing for chloramine I was talking about it somewhere with someone else that showed me some meters and one of the Hanna meters they showed me said chloramine on it. Was trying to tell the that the meters I was talking about looked like the one they showed me that said chloramine on it. Sorry for the confusion. Anyhow, the ones I'm looking at are the ones on the link you posted but I wanna get the ones for saltwater

Yeah I doubt you will find any chloramine test for saltwater. There is no point. People test for chloramines before mixing.

RyanReef

I don't test for chloramine. I have a 4 stage ro/dI unit I use to get my water before mixing my salt. I plan on using my apI test kits for ammonia, nitrites, nitrates, and ph. I was considering the Hanna meters for calcium, Alkalinity, and phosphates. Not sure what other tests I'm going to get but those are a start and I don't plan on getting them all at once

matsungit

I hear you. One thing you probably don't want is get a test kit for something not really essential and just end up expiring after one or two uses.

RyanReef

Thanks. Originally I was going to go with salifert until I saw this video which made me question which test kits I should get as the salifert test kits look like they may become a challenge to check with only being able to use my left hand. A couple months ago, a tank I got came with an apI test kit. It had 4 test tubes plus I had bought an apI test kit that also had 4. I'm down to 3 total now lol.

Slug

Alk and Phosphate are good. Calcium is ok for getting a general reading but has proven by others to be a bit inaccurate since you have to use powder. I love the Alk one though, spot on.

I have all 3 but would like something a bit more accurate for calcium, it at least gives me a general idea though. Eventually I will get a controller with probes.

RyanReef

Perfect answer slug. That's what I was asking. Do you know the difference between phosphorous and phosphate? I've never heard of people testing for phosphorous

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Coradee
Replies
Views
Per Albertsen
Replies
Views
Kerina
Replies
Views