Hanging Wall Fish Bowl

Potato head

Valued Member
Reaction score
So i was wondering if I could get one of those wall hanging betta bowls, and put ONLY plants in it.
Could it be done without a filter, or heater? I can do water changes, and i have water conditioner. Also where I live it can get cold in the winter so I would need very hardy plants.
I would prefer r not to use ferts.
Would this work, and if so, what plants should i put in. Thanks.

Mick Frost

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Plants need CO2. Whether it be from fish, from a bottle, or directly injected into the water.
I grow plants for a LFS, a plant-only tank can be done, but it's a lot of work To keep the plants growing.

Potato head

Valued Member
Reaction score
Hi, thanks for the fast reply, but I dont mind if the plants dont grow really well, it is more for aesthetics. Would I be able to keep them alive without a heater, filter or direct light. Also i have a 5 gall with no ferts, but my plants are doing really well. Thanks.

Fahn

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
While possible, plants tend to do better with some type of circulation, and a stagnant bowl won't provide that unless you added a small airstone. A small amount of sifted organic potting soil capped with some sand would keep aquatic plants going for some time. The best part is you wouldn't have to worry about ammonia and such if you don't put any livestock in.

However, you could also grow a variety of emersed plants! Pothos, philodendron, Chinese evergreen, Ficus pumila, different types of Anubias, crypts, swords, pennyworts, bacopa, cardamine, water wisteria, and lucky bamboo.

fjh

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
It is possible. How cold does it get in your house? You might make an unfiltered shrimp tank - the shrimp would eat decaying plants etc and prevent the water from becoming too stagnant.

Potato head

Valued Member
Reaction score
Hey in the winter, when I go on holiday my house gets as low as 15°c, but regularly it is about 19°c
Is there any small shrimp/ snail that could live in there
I could get a 15L filtered aquarium if that is better, but I dont want to spend too. Do you think I could put a snail or something in there , and transfer it to my main tank with its own heater when I go away

Fanatic

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Mick Frost said:
Plants need CO2. Whether it be from fish, from a bottle, or directly injected into the water.
I grow plants for a LFS, a plant-only tank can be done, but it's a lot of work To keep the plants growing.
Untrue, not all plants need CO2, most plants that actually need it are high maintenance, and require it along with good lighting.

You can do java moss, Anubias, java fern, or even anacharis without CO2 or planted substrate.

Fahn

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Fanatic said:
Untrue, not all plants need CO2, most plants that actually need it are high maintenance, and require it along with good lighting.

You can do java moss, Anubias, java fern, or even anacharis without CO2 or planted substrate.
Technically all plants do need it, it's just that the amount already dissolved in the water column is sufficient for low and medium light plants.

Mick Frost

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Fanatic said:
CO2 is required for photosynthesis. Any plant on this earth will die (eventually) without it. The same goes for water and light.
Whether or not you need to add any will depend on what is naturally being added to the tank. Air concentration of CO2 is approximately 400ppm, so with "perfect" diffusion at the surface you could potentially see ~20ppm... It would actually be around 10ppm or less, which is still enough for the plants you listed to grow slowly or maintain a small size.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom