Hanging filter does it need added bubbles too.

kymob

Does my tank with a hanging filter does it need added bubbles too.

Also I have a 20gallon is there benefits to get a bigger filter than nessesary? Does it clean better.

SanDiegoRedneck

kymob said:

Also I have a 20gallon is there benefits to get a bigger filter than nessesary? Does it clean better.
I have bubblers or sponge filters in ALL MY TANKS. I think very helpful.

What size filter is on your 20gal? Maybe consider leaving HOB if that's what it has and ad a sponge filter. Extra filtration plus bubbles for oxygen exchange at surface.

Depends on stocking in 20gal if you need to over filter.

kymob

I have 10 tanks with all bettas divided tanks. 3- 20 gallon 1 - 10 and and the rest 6 gallon. One of the smaller tanks I have only one betta in it with a hang on filter the rest have sponges. The hanging filter tank seems to alway look the clearest of the rest of the tanks. The other tanks are clear but this one seems to look crystal clear. I do the same mantence for all the tanks. I have the exact tank next to it and again it is clear looking but the other one is just crystal clear. Thoughts

SanDiegoRedneck

kymob said:
I have 10 tanks with all bettas divided tanks. 3- 20 gallon 1 - 10 and and the rest 6 gallon. One of the smaller tanks I have only one betta in it with a hang on filter the rest have sponges. The hanging filter tank seems to alway look the clearest of the rest of the tanks. The other tanks are clear but this one seems to look crystal clear. I do the same mantence for all the tanks. I have the exact tank next to it and again it is clear looking but the other one is just crystal clear. Thoughts
Do you use coarse or fine sponge filters? I prefer fine. Picks up more particulates. And I use way bigger than needed. In 20 gal I use sponge for 55gal.

I've never had problem with either sponge or HOB when paired w correct tank.

I love a good small HOB. I have a hob on 10 gal betta tank in kids room. And I DIY cartridge and does work amazing.

e_watson09

HOB filters are great but they are really a lot of $$ in the long run and cause issues with tanks. They're usually crystal clear like that due to the carbon in the filter. When you run carbon it has to be replaced monthly which means you're tossing out our cycle each month. Over time a well established sponge filter can achieve the same clarity. I don't run carbon on any of my tanks unless I'm trying to remove medication. All are crystal clear.

SanDiegoRedneck

e_watson09 said:
HOB filters are great but they are really a lot of $$ in the long run and cause issues with tanks. They're usually crystal clear like that due to the carbon in the filter. When you run carbon it has to be replaced monthly which means you're tossing out our cycle each month. Over time a well established sponge filter can achieve the same clarity. I don't run carbon on any of my tanks unless I'm trying to remove medication. All are crystal clear.
Agreed!!! In the two HOB I have left I dont use carbon and I use bulk media I buy online not cartridges.

mattgirl

kymob said:

If your HOB supplies enough water movement to prevent a film forming on the top of the water bubbles really aren't totally necessary. Any surface movement should prevent it.

I run 2 HOB's (each are supposed to handle up to a 100 gallon tank) and 2 dual sponge filters in my 55 gallon tank. I also run one of the same size HOB's on a 10 gallon grow out tank. You can't over filter a tank. The only concern for a bigger filter on a small tank is too much water movement. That can be taken care of by baffling the outflow.

The most expensive part of using a HOB filter is the original cost. The secret to saving money is ditching the cartridges designed to use in them and replace them with sponges and/or various other filter media. By doing so you seldom have to toss the bacteria growing on the media. Sponges can be used until they are literally falling apart and that takes a very long time.

All of this to say, get the biggest filter you can fit on your tanks.

JettsPapa

e_watson09 said:
I'm not sure I agree with the highlighted portion above. HOB filters can keep water very clear without carbon. In fact I don't have carbon in any of mine. I'm a big fan of sponge filters, but while they're great at biological filtration and surface agitation they just aren't as good at mechanically filtering the water as HOB's.

e_watson09

JettsPapa said:
I'm not sure I agree with the highlighted portion above. HOB filters can keep water very clear without carbon. In fact I don't have carbon in any of mine. I'm a big fan of sponge filters, but while they're great at biological filtration and surface agitation they just aren't as good at mechanically filtering the water as HOB's.
The whole point of my post was that you can achieve it with a sponge filter. I don't run carbon in any of my tanks and have crystal clear water. When I first started I always ran carbon, when i first cut the carbon out of my media my tanks were cloudy and not as clear as before. (this is before I really googled and such haha) I readded carbon and it cleared back up. Long term it wasn't a good solution, switching to sponges completely and I had a couple tanks with a little water clarity issues, over time they resolved themselves and I haven't had an issue in years. :)

kymob

yes filters cartridge are expensive can you tell me how to use another filter
SanDiegoRedneck said:
Do you use coarse or fine sponge filters? I prefer fine. Picks up more particulates. And I use way bigger than needed. In 20 gal I use sponge for 55gal.

I've never had problem with either sponge or HOB when paired w correct tank.

I love a good small HOB. I have a hob on 10 gal betta tank in kids room. And I DIY cartridge and does work amazing.

The filter I use is the I use the Aqua Clear, Fish Tank Filter, 5 to 20 Gallons, I like it but gets expensive. I would love to know
mattgirl said:
If your HOB supplies enough water movement to prevent a film forming on the top of the water bubbles really aren't totally necessary. Any surface movement should prevent it.

I run 2 HOB's (each are supposed to handle up to a 100 gallon tank) and 2 dual sponge filters in my 55 gallon tank. I also run one of the same size HOB's on a 10 gallon grow out tank. You can't over filter a tank. The only concern for a bigger filter on a small tank is too much water movement. That can be taken care of by baffling the outflow.

The most expensive part of using a HOB filter is the original cost. The secret to saving money is ditching the cartridges designed to use in them and replace them with sponges and/or various other filter media. By doing so you seldom have to toss the bacteria growing on the media. Sponges can be used until they are literally falling apart and that takes a very long time.

All of this to say, get the biggest filter you can fit on your tanks.
I use the the Aqua Clear, Fish Tank Filter, 5 to 20 Gallons, how do i make it cheeper cost. what replacement media to I use to make it cheeper. this is what I have bought they are only 17 dollars for all of them. Do you have another recommendations what I could use.

51gg4LuIO6L._AC_AA180_.jpg

Attachments

mattgirl

Lots of HOB filters use very cheaply made disposable cartridges. The media that you have in your aqua clear should not have to be replaced. Just rinse the sponge and ceramic media when needed. I would replace the carbon pack with another sponge for extra bio-media.

SanDiegoRedneck

kymob said:
yes filters cartridge are expensive can you tell me how to use another filter

The filter I use is the I use the Aqua Clear, Fish Tank Filter, 5 to 20 Gallons, I like it but gets expensive. I would love to know

I use the the Aqua Clear, Fish Tank Filter, 5 to 20 Gallons, how do i make it cheeper cost. what replacement media to I use to make it cheeper. this is what I have bought they are only 17 dollars for all of them. Do you have another recommendations what I could use.

51gg4LuIO6L._AC_AA180_.jpg

I buy those supplies but in bulk then make to fit. I do buy aquaclear sponges and cut to fit my not aquaclear filter (I do have 1 aquaclear). They are cheapest. You could have a 2 year supply or more lol for $45

Here is mine with the bulk supplies (super clean because I just used old media to seed new filters, and this is backup on 55gal)

20200721_051243.jpg

$10 for 6 feet of filter floss

Screenshot_20200721-050455_Amazon Shopping.jpg

6lbs of bio rings $22

Screenshot_20200721-050607_Amazon Shopping.jpg

kymob

Your the best thanks so much, A couple of questions
  • Do you still wash out the aquarium filter media or just throw it away bc its so cheep.
  • how often to yu change the filter
  • What does the carbon help with.
  • How often do you change the bio rings? Do you just wash them? or put a new one in each time?
  • Thanks

Beneful1

I use a Marineland Penguin 350, the one with two spinnng biowheels on the front. When the supplied cartridges were dirty I ripped them off their repsective frames and bought one sheet each of fine foam and coarse foam and cut them to size to the cartridge frames. I put a fine and a coarse foam on the frames and slide them in place. Every two weeks I pull one frame out and rinse the fine and coarse foam under the tap. Takes 5 minutes. .then a day or two later I pull the other frame out and do the same.. They collect a lot of gunk.. BTW I'm also running a Fluval 404 canister on this 75 gal tank so having this HOB greatly increases the between cleaning the canister. I dont use carbon and I don't use airstones.. The waterfall action of the HOB provides all the oxygen needed.

Top Bottom