Hang on Tank Canister Filter

1. L

LauraJ New Member Member

I have a 30 gallon hex (high) tank and am trying to buy a canister filter. I have been looking at the Marineland Hang on Tank Canister Filter:

http://www.amazon.com/Marineland-PC0250HSB-H-O-T-Filter-Magnum/dp/B000260FVQ/ref=sr_1_4?s=pet-supplies&ie=UTF8&qid=1407268162&sr=1-4&keywords=Hang+on+Tank+Canister+Filter

What do you think and do you have any other recommendations?

I have 6 - 10" sides and a 9" opening in my lid.

(My husband is firefighter and would prefer not to have the filter sit on the carpet in the living room - so the HOT works for me.)

I'm so confused. . . Laura

2. T

Thai Aquarium owner Well Known Member Member

Hi Laura, and welcome to the forum,
    I have no knowledge of the Marineland filter you are looking at placing on your tank, but I can say, that IMO a canister filter of some kind is way better than a HOB filter.
    For the canister filters physical size, they can hold a large amount of filter media.
    My advice to you would be to wait out a while and let some other members here in the forum chip in with their thoughts and ideas for helping you.

3. millca

millca Valued Member Member

If you want an HOB, a lot of use recommend the AquaClear brand. Has more room for media than most HOB.

4. d

dakota Valued Member Member

If you want a HOB filter on my 30 gallon I have an Aqua Clear 70 on it and it does a excellant job on that tank of keeping it clean. Canisters are also excellant but I did not want to deal with hoses and and find a place for it so it was no visable on this small tank. I can clean the Aqua clear in 5 minutes and be done with it. On my large tank I do use an Eheim 2075 canister because of the tank size.

5. EricV

EricV Fishlore VIP Member

I actually have one of those HOT magnum canister filters. I used to use it in a saltwater tank and recently got it back out of storage and it still works great.

No hoses to worry about as it is designed to hang directly on the tank if you don't mind buying additional pieces (or for far less money just making your own with PVC piping) you can do so much more to control water flow than with a standard HOB. Also with the way it hangs its much less intrusive than a regular HOB in terms of aesthetics.