Hang off the back filter question

Discussion in 'Filters and Filtration' started by Wintersprite, Jul 20, 2015.

1. W

Wintersprite Valued Member Member

Hello everyone,

I have a newbie question when it comes to filters. I have a top fin power 20 filter for my 20 gallon tank and was wondering if I am suppose to replace the filter cartridge each month? The filter cartridge also came with carbon already in it. I know that I am not suppose to remove the bio-filter since that is what houses the beneficial bacteria. I just wanted to ask on here before i made a newbie mistake just in case i am not suppose to replace the filter cartridges. Here are a couple pictures of my filter cartridge and bio-filter.

Attached Files:

2. Dom90

Dom90 Fishlore VIP Member

You're not supposed to replace the filter cartridge as this would leave you with no BB.

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

3. BornThisWayBettas

BornThisWayBettas Fishlore VIP Member

Nope! Don't replace the filter cartridge each month, tmk, because you'll lose some of your beneficial bacteria, which is necessary for your cycle. Just swish the filter media around in a bucket of old tank water whenever it starts to get really yucky. Also, I would recommend upgrading your filter, as I have the same filter and the GPH is pretty lousy. :/ Good luck!

4. Gekco

Gekco Well Known Member Member

5. Dom90

Replacing the carbon isn't absolutely necessary though. It won't kill your tank or fish if you don't.

6. OP
    OP
    W

ok thank you guys for the information. I did not think I was suppose to replace it each month which is why i wanted to check first before I did anything.

Thanks for the information on the carbon Dom because that was going to be my next question. At any point do I need to try and remove the carbon from the current filter cartridge?

Also what HOB filter would you guys suggest for a 20 gallon tank? Once it is fully stocked it will house 1 halfmoon betta, 8 harlequin rasboras, and 6 otos. Sorry if this is getting a little off topic from the original post.

7. Dom90

Only if you want to remove medications from the tank do you actually need carbon. Also, a betta is not a good choice for a community tank with rasboras and otos...

8. BornThisWayBettas

BornThisWayBettas Fishlore VIP Member

Well, I've been told that the Aquaclear filter is a really good one, so...... Also, I know someone is going to comment on this, so let me just tell you that yes, sometimes bettas in community tanks can work, you just need to approach it with caution.

9. Gekco

Aqua clears are good HOB filters and the Fluval C-Series are good too. As for removing the carbon, from the pics (if it works the same as tetra filters) does that black clip come off? Because of it does the carbon should be in there.

Sent from my iPod touch using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

10. OP
    OP
    W

Thank you guys, I will look into the aquaclear filter. Is it the aqua clear fluval power filter 30?

Yes the black clip does come off. Is there a certain point that the carbon should be removed from the cartridge or is it ok to stay in there forever?

11. Dom90

Yea either the AquaClear 30 or 50, if you want more filtration.

12. Gekco

Well as Dom said, the carbon isn't necessary all it does is it takes the discolouration out of your water. I hear the carbon needs to be changed monthly or else it doesn't work as well.

Sent from my iPod touch using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

13. Dom90

You are correct. Carbon only lasts a month then it's no longer useful.

14. OP
    OP
    W

ok it has been in the cartridge since june 10th should i remove it or is it ok to leave it in there? Thanks again for all of your guys helpful information.

15. Dom90

I'd replace it, but get some bio-media instead.

16. OP
    OP
    W

ok will do. Do you know if petsmart or petco have any to chose from and if so what ones would you suggest?

17. f2002

f2002 Valued Member Member

I have a 20 gallon long tank running an Aquaclear 70 with Purigen and water is crystal clear.

Betta might not be a good choice for your community tank, especially if you want to get a strong HOB filter like a AC50 or up. AC have pretty strong currents. I tried having a Betta in my tank once and the current was just too strong for him.

18. Dom90

You can either get Seachem Matrix or Fluval Biomax for bio-media options.

19. OP
    OP
    W

I was thinking about the aqua clear 30 or 50 for my 20 gallon high, but I might have to wait on that for awhile since my betta is in the tank as well. I do not want the current to be too strong for him. I would try and move him to another tank; however, I only have room for maybe a 2.5 gallon tank. The extra space is only about 9 inches high.

Would I just empty the carbon out of my current cartridge and add the seachem matrix or fluval biomax to that cartridge? Or are there some other steps that I would need to take? My current cartridge is the second picture from the original post.

20. Gekco

I would assume that you would just remove the carbon from the current cartridge then just pour in roughly that same amount of the matrix or biomax.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice