Dismiss Notice
Hi there! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To log in, go here.

To become a member please register here.

Hang In The Back Box Help! Help

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by Grumpyfish32, Apr 20, 2019.

1. Grumpyfish32Valued MemberMember

Alright, so this is an issue with my 60gal tank. I have a set of 6 juvenile discus at 1.5in each. Everyone is doing fine for the past 2 weeks, but until recently on of the fish got really skinny, like you can see his bone outline. I always feed my discus frozen bloodworms, but mainly frozen beef heart and I change water every 2 days. As of recently I noticed that this discus is skinny because he hasn’t been able to eat any of the food whenever I observe them during feeding time.
    My question is: Is it fine to use the marine hang in the back breeder box (extra large) to nurse this fish back to health? There is a little pump that connects to the base and flows water into it. I can not set up a tank hospital tank for him because my 20gal hospital tank shattered after my friends went to play baseball indoors:(

2. SkavatarWell Known MemberMember

should be fine.

3. Grumpyfish32Valued MemberMember

Alright, thank you so much! Should I color the bottom black and fill the box with Java moss or is that just going to take up space? Thanks again!

4. kallililly1973Well Known MemberMember

could you feed the other 5 then make a small mixture in a container and spot feed him/her with a syringe with a piece of airline on it? just putting an idea out there.. never owned discus.

5. SkavatarWell Known MemberMember

not necessary.

6. Grumpyfish32Valued MemberMember

Oops I forgot to put that in the post, I’ve tried doing that before, but man the group of 5 discus are such aggressive feeders that when I try to do that they will quickly gobble the food lol. I even tried to get my friend to syringe the one discus while I feed the group of 5, but as soon as they see the other syringe appear in the water at least 2 of the rush for it lol.

Alright thank you!:)

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2019
  7. kallililly1973Well Known MemberMember

ok sorry i can't be much help i hope #6 works out eventually for u... maybe do a slight overfeed and clean shortly after to be sure #6 gets some

8. Grumpyfish32Valued MemberMember

Thank you so much! Yeah I’ll probably stick to overfeeding then doing a quick gravel vac on the bottom of the tank. Thanks again for the suggestion:)