Handy tip for feeding you tank whilst on vacation.

allibobs

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Sorry if this has been suggested before.

I know lots of people on here worry about the feeding of their tank whilst your on vacation and people don't like using the automatic feeders. We all know if you leave somone in charge of your tank it's totally in their hands as to what the tanks get fed and it's very tempting to overfeed and also very east to over feed unknowingly.

Personally I would like someone popping over and checking on my tanks for signs of problems or dead fish so the obvious is for then to feed the fish whilst their there soooooooooooooooo

Here come my bright Idea! How about a medication/ tablet box? The ones that have a compartment for each days tablets marked up with the days of the week! This way you can put in each days food into the appropriate days compartment this way you have control over what amount of food your fish get. Then you hide all your fish food and leave only the medication box out so whomever is feeding cant be tempted to feed a little more. If you have multiple tanks like me you could use one for each tank. I know I can buy these in my local £1 store for several and for me its piece of mind!

Shawnie

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
its a great idea!~ many have used this in the past and its highly recommended..and hide the rest of your food because ppl are tempted to overdue it !

allibobs

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
It's going to be the method I use but will be amusing putting 4 betta balls in a compartment lol oh and 4 goldfish pellets and 1 flake in for the quarrentine tank lol. Hmmmm I need to go buy a bulk load of medication dispensers 7 tanks later lol

sirdarksol

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Be sure that you are very, very explicit in your instructions.
I left portions for the person taking care of my tank and said "don't put any more than that in."
When I got back, he said "I put a little extra in every day, cuz that looked like so little food." Some people just don't get how little fish need to eat.

Nate McFin

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
I did this as well. It does work nice as long as you explain NO MORE!
On a side note when I gave my father in law the instructions he said' Oh you put the food in smootwoofs.
I said smootwoofs?
He said read the top....SMTWTFS
....smootwoofs. HEHE

LyndaB

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I very much like the idea of the med boxes.... my only fear is that an extra lid or two might open when the food was being dispensed and panic would ensue.

I plan on using the little snack baggies and putting labels on them to indicate the day the bag gets used. Our pet sitter will feed every other day, and would have to search the house to find the large containers of food, which I know she would never do. Each tank will have its own baggies, although my husband has been testing out an automatic feeder for the last month or so and seems happy with it.

Hiring a pet sitter and not using sappy family members also helps me to ensure no overfeeding. :whistling:

LICfish

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Yeah I tried that. Unfortunately, my brother still managed to get it wrong. I'm still away and dreading the mess I'll have to clean up upon my return

LyndaB

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I'm telling you.... hire a pet sitter.... no sappy family members.... it's the only way to go.... arty0031:

mcurtissdsu

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Yeah I'm going on vacation in July and I was trying to think of the best way to have my roommate feed my fish for me. I'll only be gone for a week, maybe less so I was planning on having her just feed them pellets because when I give them pellets, I always just crush up three of them and put them in there. They always eat it all in about a minute and a half.

This is a great idea though. I already have one of those med boxes that's just sitting in my bathroom so now I can put it to good use!

anunez91

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
You could have a gf take care of it! I have mine taking care of my bettas while im out, and when i mean taking care, i mean, we moved them across town from my house to hers and shes pretty much adopted them. Not to mention she tends to be just as much a perfectionistt about everything about the same as I tend to be with about my fish. How about a round of applause for her? =] haha.

anunez91

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
You don't take your gf with you on vacation?!!?
its not exactly a vacation per se, but i dont want to hijack the thread cause if i say exactly why i left, im pretty sure it would happen, long story short, read my signature, notice the second date is kinda recent? yeah, thats the only reason im gone *in texas*, or else she would have came with me, haha, its crazy how much you dont realize you need a person until there not there, applying to both people mentioned, =/, but back to the point at hand! Yes, girlfriends do make a good fishsitter, and the best part is, you can pay them with a kiss on the cheek or a nice date. Win-win if you ask me. =]

It's vacation!LOL. I have more of an issue tying to get my GF to remember to feed my fish while I'm out of town.
mainly the first two words, haha! that made my morning, =]

Last edited:

FredBjammin

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
its not exactly a vacation per se, but i dont want to hijack the thread cause if i say exactly why i left
Pretty sure nobody here worried about hijacking conversations when it comes to that kind of stuff, sorry for your loss man.

kuhliLoachFan

Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Ken's link is very good.

I have some tanks that contain species that can't eat flake food. They are a particular hassle when going away on vacation.

My puffers prefer snails, but would take any frozen meaty food. I built a snail housing for them, which the snails (hopefully slowly) escape from, slowly, while I'm away. I have tried freeze-dried versions of the same foods they regularly get, in feeders, and it did not work well. (Mysis shrimp, bloodworms, etc).

My clown loaches dig through the substrate and even if not fed at all, would feed themselves, in any tank well seeded with Malaysian Trumpet Snails in the substrate.

For electronic feeders, I found the Eheim ones are pretty good, and the penn-plax "twice a day" rotary ones are cheaper, but not as trustable.

The eheim ones are great for flakes and the larger pellets, but not so good for small pellets such as the 2mm NLS spectrum cichlid pellet that I use. For the 2mm and other small pelletes, you get a choice of "very little" or a "whole great big lot" of food at once. Because a 1mm-3mm hole lets out no food, and a 4 mm hole lets out about 4x too much food. I have tried modifying the out-going holes on the eheim autofeeder, to make it deliver a repeatable sane amount of 2mm pellets. Anybody got any ideas there?

W

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom