Handling new & stressed cherry barbs

elBez

Hey all,

I bought 6 cherry barbs three weeks ago. They went into a cycled, 5 gal QT but one unfortunately died 2 days into the quarantine. The rest seemed to make it though just fine.

Yesterday I introduced them into my main tank, a cycled, 9 month old 20 gal planted tank with 5 X-Rays, and 5 Kuhli loaches. Ammonia 0, Nitrite 0, Nitrate 5.0ppm. They seemed stressed - not really shoaling together, fins tucked against their bodies, and flashing. Some of the swimming is erratic, or they'll swim at weird angles. I read up on flashing and it got me kind of worried - they didn't show any signs of illness, and were very happy in the QT. I did add an API Stress Coat and I've heard that can cause fish to become irritated or flash at times.

As of about an hour ago, they were all together, hiding in the java ferns. They ate today too.

I know that I probably just need to leave them be for the next few days, in order to adjust to their new home, right?

ProudPapa

It's probably nothing to be concerned about.

elBez

That's probably true. I gave it a few days, did the scheduled water change and kept away from them. They only get skittish whenever one of the kids goes near the tank. Otherwise, they're quite calm - no flashing and less skittishness. The colours are a little better too. They don't fully hang out in a shoal, unfortunately. I guess that'll come in time?

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
airfix2
  • Question
Replies
Views
Mhamilton0911
Replies
Views
Airth
Replies