Handling Honey Gourami behavior...

Bruinfishkeeper1

Hey guys so I currently have two golden honey Gouramis in my 10g planted tank. Intially i thought i had a pair until they grew up and realized it was two males.

That being said im not sure what do in terms of the wellbeing of one of the males. You see, these two have been with each other since pre-adulthood (right after juvenile). Meaning that at some point they had to dominate each other

So one of them dominated and the other stayed small with a black stripe (stress mark)

In a little time the black stripe stressed male became similar coloration to the beautiful thriving other male

Im now not even sure as to what I should do. My thing is is that these two are really weird in interaction. Sometimes the dominate one will chase the other one and try to nip at it, and the other one will just scurry and hid away from the dominate one

Then at times they are the most chill boys I've ever seen for a honey gourami. Like literally sometimes they'll like shoal swim together its cute.

But now im conflicted on whether or not i should trade my less dominate male for a female honey Gourami to go with my dominate male, or i should keep both males (i do also have a slight sentiment to the honey gourami male that gets bullied but its not that bad ill get over it in a day since ill be happy with the female)

What should I do to make the quality of life the best i can for the bullied honey gourami (again half bullied lol)

jinjerJOSH22

Hi, most of this sounds fairly normal in terms of behaviour. I wouldn't regard that black stripe as a "stress mark".

You could do a few things including nothing. You could switch either fish for a female. I think the best scenario would be a 20 gallon with 3 other females ;)

Upvote 0

Bruinfishkeeper1

Hi, most of this sounds fairly normal in terms of behaviour. I wouldn't regard that black stripe as a "stress mark".

You could do a few things including nothing. You could switch either fish for a female. I think the best scenario would be a 20 gallon with 3 other females ;)
Ok sounds good yeah I was suspecting it was pretty normal.

My only thing was was that I've seen a little bit less activity and more hiding in the bullied one

I would honestly love to switch to a 20g but I first have to convince my parents that The only thing I need to buy is more substrate and that literally it lol. Although if I were to upgrade it would be later on in the summer.

Actually better yet I would upgrade to 29g!

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
Replies
Views
NearMeBettas
  • Question
Replies
Views
Bruinfishkeeper1
Replies
Views