Handle A Long And Slim Tank? How Do I

1. Kiks Well Known Member Member

Hello everyone,

I didn't know where to put this thread, so I put it here though I believe it's not quite a beginner question.

I found this secondhand tank online which has been specially made. It's 48 gallons and 60 inches long, 12 inches deep and 16 inches tall. It's absolutely perfect for my axolotls, since they just want as much floor space as possible and don't care much about the depth of the water.
    I have pretty much already bought it, but then it occurred to me that there must be things to consider when the tank is so long.
    Axolotls do not like water movement at all, but of course there has to be a slight current. How is this done with a 60 inch long tank? If I have one filter in one side the water flow has to be very fast in order to make a slight movement even half through the tank. Can I have two smaller filters in each side of the tank? Or one filter in one side and an air pump in the other?
    I have a filter running in a cycled tank which is appropriate for tanks up to 42 gallons. The filter is used to handling a bio load pretty close to the bio load in the new tank, so if I put it in there will the tank be more or less cycled instantly? I'm ready to do water changes often if necessary, but of course it won't work if it has almost no effect on the cycle.

Any comments or things to consider with very long (or just big) tanks will be greatly appreciated. I'm not a beginner, but my biggest tank so far has been a 30 gallon.

Thanks!

2. endlercollector Fishlore VIP Member

I would try 2 Marina 20 gal slim filters on that myself to keep the current gentle. I first came across this type when I was keeping a Betta in a 10 with a Marina 10 gal slim filter. I'll be curious to see photos when you have it set up.

3. sfsamm Well Known Member Member

Why not use a couple sponge filters? Like put your hob on one end and then a sponge in the middle and one on the other end? Would keep your current basically nothing and provide plenty of filtration.

4. Kiks Well Known Member Member

I currently have a Eheim pickup 160 and Eheim pickup 60. Do you think it would work if I put one on one side and one on the other? I'm trying to spend as little money as possible since the tank wasn't cheap...
    Thanks for replying!

5. ChiefBrody Member Member

Just put the filter you have dead center and across the short way so the flow is dissipated but evenly dispersed

6. Kiks Well Known Member Member

That's a good idea. Do you think a Eheim pickup 160 will be good enough for a 48 gallon tank? It's missing a couple of gallons, but not far from...