Hand feeding the fish

1. Lexi03 Well Known Member Member

Ok, so I got bored tonight, and allthough it's not "feed the fish day" at our house, I decide to see if any of the fish would eat out of my hand.

I started with the 75gal, I held a large flake between my fingers, just under the water. The kerri's had no problem swimming up and taking a nibble, and the platies soon joined in, but the angels where reluctant. After the first flake was gone, I tryed another, and about 3 secnds after I put my fingers under the water, out of nowhere, one of my amano shrimp zipped up, landed on my finger, stole half the flake and darted off. This scared me half to death, I swear the angelfish were laughing at me, but afterthis they decided it was ok to come eat.

I tryed this with the 55gal as well, the greenfire tetras spent more time nipping my fingers then the food, but I did get the blood parrots to come eat some. It was awesome.

2. Cichlidnut Fishlore VIP Member

;D My Endlers and RCS have no problem nibbling on me even when I don't have food. The RCS crawl on me when I do water changes and the Endlers are always chewing on me. It's a funny feeling.

3. kidster9700 Well Known Member Member

I have a really timid guppy; she never comes out in the open when I'm near the tank. Even when I'm feeding them. But for whatever reason, when i hand feed my fish she's always the first one there!

4. mosaicguppy Well Known Member Member

I tried this one time too, holding a piece of flake,my ram decided my hand was too big for her to eat lol, the endlers didn't care and came up to nip at my fingers but the rasboras didn't come up a all. My rasboras are pretty easily frightened so I wasn't surprised. My endlers love to chew on me, it feels really funny when there's a lot of them, they don't seem to be afraid of anything.

5. Cichlidnut Fishlore VIP Member

The only thing Endlers fear is going hungry, lol.

6. e_watson09 Well Known Member Member

My BPs do this all the time. The rest in the tank are usually too timid to go near them eating haha. My bettas and goldies will, then the fish in the reef tank will my newer fish in the 55 won't yet.

7. Lexi03 Well Known Member Member

This sounds like my kerris...lol

8. mosaicguppy Well Known Member Member

:;laughing So true!

9. nippybetta Well Known Member Member

I tried this with blood worms once, my big fat platy was the first to eat out of my hand. The angels were always reluctant, but they say hello to me and ask for food the normal way in the mornings.

10. Dino Fishlore VIP Member

All my fish know food comes from my hands.
    It can make working in a tank some what of a hassle, as they all try to see if I have any food in my hand.

11. Echostatic Well Known Member Member

My dwarf gourami has no issue eating from my hand, as I learned last night. He's pretty bold.

12. Wendy Lubianetsky Well Known Member Member

I'm to chicken to feed my fish out of my hands. Once I went to feed my Oscar and he jumped 2 inches out of the water and grabbed a cricket from me. Scared me half to death... that was the last time I did that.:;cr

13. Cichlidnut Fishlore VIP Member

My Jack Dempsey tries to bite me when I do water changes. I will not be feeding him by hand.

14. iZaO Jnr Well Known Member Member

My Africans have become accustomed to eating out of the palm of my hand. I put all powerheads off and they literally glide into my hand and eat. They also nibble at any blemishes on my hands and arms when im doing water changes or have my hands in the tank.

All my fish eat from my hand, even my common pleco takes wafers from my fingers.

@ Wendy - I once got the honour of feeding fully grown redbelly piranhas, a tank full of them. The guy said he buys a packet of mince and drops it in. I did it, yet saw no mince in the tank. They were too quick. Thats when im afraid. When an oscar wants food, indulge him :):)