20 Gallon Tank Hand feeding fish?

cloverpile

Hello! I plan on getting honey gourami and harlequin rasboras. Once they’re use to being around me I want to be able to hand feed them! I loved hand feeding my fish when I was younger. Their little nibbles and curiosity are adorable <3
What are y’all’s experience with hand feeding? Any tips for how long you should leave your fish alone before trying to stick your hand in the tank for hand feeding?

jdhef

Ah this brings back fond memories of back when I used to hand feed my piranhas. They call me lefty now. :)

Upvote 0

dojafish

Interesting topic. Ive never thought to try hand feeding aquarium fish, just my goldfish and koi. My ticket in were the biggest and friendly fish, as fish really behave accordingly to social cues. Im not sure how you could play this to your advantage in an aquarium with that stocking, it might instead be a numbers game. The bigger the schools the more comfortable the other fish might be, especially engaging human hands with food. Of course it will take time and patience, that is certain. This is all speculation for your situation so please take it with a grain of salt. Im not sure of anyone here who handfeeds their tanks but if there is anyone I hope they see this post soon!

Upvote 0

Noroomforshoe

I hand feed my blue acaras every day because i wantede to make sure they were getting enough, and now its become a habbit. I didnt have to wait or train them. Sometimes I soak the pellets in a shot glass of tank water fist. The mollies I have started taking food out of my hands. The rainbows rarelly do, the loaches never do. Not all fish will.
I dried to find food in more of a stick shape but I never found any with the quality ingridiants i demand. The will nibble the food that I made, wich is easier to hold as it is flat broken peices. But they prefer bug bites cichlid blend pellets. And its just large enough to hold.

Upvote 0

Flyfisha

smee82 you write that as if it were a joke?
Hand feeding live white worms is just second nature to my fish. As the white worms ball up in the water used to rinse them one has to separate the ball as you put it in the tank or one big mouth will get the whole ball. Trust me when live foods are landing on the water surface most fish don’t need any training.

I use my dirty Aussie fingers to feed micro worms. Grindal worms and live baby brine. The daily feeds of bb have most fish licking the finger that feeds them.
Its my wife that currently plays lick my finger with the brine shrimp.

For a while I was using auto feeders to try and disassociate the human hand from food. I actually don’t like to see the begging for food thing that has become the normal state with my fish when I walk near.

Upvote 0

wateriswet

I used to hand feed my honey gourami. I started by training her to eat from a floating food hoop so she associated that spot with food. I'd also point at her and put one finger against the glass right before feeding her as a cue. It got so that she knew when my finger was there she was going to get fed and would come swimming across the tank to me.

Over a few weeks, I'd get my fingers closer and closer to the hoop while she ate until she stopped shying away. Then I'd try holding chunkier food like sinking pellets or frozen blood worms in the hoop. Once she got used to eating treats from my fingers, I started pinching the flakes or small pellets in my fingers and not letting them go until she would "bite" me. It was really cute and the interaction let me enjoy the hobby more

Upvote 0

cloverpile

Interesting topic. Ive never thought to try hand feeding aquarium fish, just my goldfish and koi. My ticket in were the biggest and friendly fish, as fish really behave accordingly to social cues. Im not sure how you could play this to your advantage in an aquarium with that stocking, it might instead be a numbers game. The bigger the schools the more comfortable the other fish might be, especially engaging human hands with food. Of course it will take time and patience, that is certain. This is all speculation for your situation so please take it with a grain of salt. Im not sure of anyone here who handfeeds their tanks but if there is anyone I hope they see this post soon!
Yes I use to do the same! I’d hand feed my goldfish when they were smaller/first got them and continued to do so as they grew in size. I see that all makes sense, thank you so much <3
I hand feed my blue acaras every day because i wantede to make sure they were getting enough, and now its become a habbit. I didnt have to wait or train them. Sometimes I soak the pellets in a shot glass of tank water fist. The mollies I have started taking food out of my hands. The rainbows rarelly do, the loaches never do. Not all fish will.
I dried to find food in more of a stick shape but I never found any with the quality ingridiants i demand. The will nibble the food that I made, wich is easier to hold as it is flat broken peices. But they prefer bug bites cichlid blend pellets. And its just large enough to hold.
awwwww those mollies sound adorable! I wouldn’t think any bottom dwellers I may get would come all the way up for a nibble at my hand either haha. But it’ll be just as fun watching them peck at the pellets on the bottom like chickens >:]
I had lots of luck hand feeding with live blood worm
Would that be a good snack for gouramis and harlequins?
I used to hand feed my honey gourami. I started by training her to eat from a floating food hoop so she associated that spot with food. I'd also point at her and put one finger against the glass right before feeding her as a cue. It got so that she knew when my finger was there she was going to get fed and would come swimming across the tank to me.

Over a few weeks, I'd get my fingers closer and closer to the hoop while she ate until she stopped shying away. Then I'd try holding chunkier food like sinking pellets or frozen blood worms in the hoop. Once she got used to eating treats from my fingers, I started pinching the flakes or small pellets in my fingers and not letting them go until she would "bite" me. It was really cute and the interaction let me enjoy the hobby more
That sounds so nice omg…I can’t wait to get to that point with my fish!

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
10 Gallon Tank What to feed my fish
Replies
Views
Coradee
  • Question
Replies
Views
JettsPapa
  • Question