Hand Feeding fish?

Discussion in 'Fish Food' started by TylerLovesFish, Jan 9, 2013.

1. TylerLovesFishWell Known MemberMember

I've heard and seen of it before, I'm just wondering if it's a good or bad idea to hand feed fish. I'd love to!

2. JustKeepSwimmingWell Known MemberMember

I do it. No harm in it as long as your hands are clean (and free of soaps/perfumes as well).

3. QQQUUUUAADDDWell Known MemberMember

I hand feed my betta. No issues there.

4. TylerLovesFishWell Known MemberMember

So How do I start hand feeding them? They're afraid of my hand on top of the tank as it is.

5. Tigress HillWell Known MemberMember

Just begin to offer the food from your hands; eventually most will understand the notion.

6. nippybettaWell Known MemberMember

Establish a regular feeding time. I do it right when I turn on the lights, as long as the fish are awake. Also, some kinds of fish are much more likely to interact with you, usually bigger ones. My angels always beg for food and are only afraid when I make really sudden movements. Go slow and steady, and hold the food still for a while. It might help if you offer them treats.

7. chevyguy8893Well Known MemberMember

I use bloodworms as treats normally, but it also worked to get my fish very comfortable with my hands in the tank. I will also feed their normal flakes or pellets under the water since some have a bad habit of jumping for food. This even worked to the point where I have kuhli loaches in my hand if I hold the food, which I never expected. None of them have a problem with it and it seems they are less stressed when I do water changes since my hand is associated with good things, that is just a hypothesis though :).

8. QQQUUUUAADDDWell Known MemberMember

Every time I open the hood, my betta just comes rushing up for food.

9. TylerLovesFishWell Known MemberMember

I know I'm not a expert but I thought you weren't supposed to have fish in your hands (the slime coating on them?)

well my snail crawled on me!

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 12, 2013
  10. Tigress HillWell Known MemberMember

You don't do it all the time, just every other day or so. It's not going to hurt anything if you don't grab them or handle them constantly.

11. chevyguy8893Well Known MemberMember

Like tigress said, it is ok do this once in a great while, and it generally happens by accident to me because all my fish are comfortable with me. It seems like kuhlis do what they want to do in their own really odd way.

12. TylerLovesFishWell Known MemberMember

I was kind of worried, my guppy kept rubbing against my finger (not eating, just rubbing against it)

13. JustKeepSwimmingWell Known MemberMember

14. TylerLovesFishWell Known MemberMember

They still seem afraid to take food though... :( any suggestions? I have white clouds and guppies.

15. FeatherfinValued MemberMember

I love to hand feed my fish :D I even got silver dollars to eat from my hand and they've got to be the most timid type of fish I've ever seen. Just takes time sometimes.

16. Mrs.PriceValued MemberMember

I sometimes hand feed my fish, they know it's feeding time when I turn off the filter and the air pump and open the hood, I just stick my hand down into the water and keep very still. Eventually, if you do this often enough, you'll build trust and they'll have no problem with it. :)

17. TylerLovesFishWell Known MemberMember

I just cleaned a spill and had to use bleach, I washed my hands with soap then just water, I am worried about putting my had in there (and also about touching their food to feed them) any ideas? Is it safe?

18. k8XPValued MemberMember

Um probably should wait until tomorrow to start trying hand feeding : ) I use a spoon to drop a few pellets in instead of my hands. Also, make sure no lotion, etc. when you put your hands in the water. it does take a few different times to get some fish to eat it. I had to feed my runt barb cause by the time he was done eating 2 pellets, the rest would be eaten by the bigger fish. He always comes up to my finger to grab his food now though. Took about 3 or 4 times before he trusted me.

Just keep your hand still, don't move it towards them. Drop the food near them if they don;t go for it until they learn.

19. fishlover123456New MemberMember

it is a cool thing to do just wash hands with hot water before no soap

i also hand feed my fish

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 12, 2013

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice