Hand fed my betta boy!

stargazerwolf

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I've been wanting to try hand feeding my betta for awhile now. I got him at the beginning of march and have loved him ever since. He comes to the front of the tank when I sit in front of it, he comes when I tap the front glass if he has swam away, now today I took a small piece of freeze dried blood worm and held it near the top of the water and "Slup!" he took it. How cute! I did it one more time but didn't want to give him too much food. Next time I'm taking video if I can figure out how that'll work (me feeding and taking video) He is so handsome too! He definitely has been a happy betta in his 10 gallon tank. Only shrimp and snails as tank mates right now, but he is very docile and I may add a school of rasbora heteromorpha

I just had to share my joy

April R

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Isn't it cute when they do that. My boy will eat out of my hand too. Some are just braver than others

_Fried_Bettas_

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Personally I've discouraged this behavior ever since I had a female betta that started jumping toward my hand when it was no where near the tank and she landed on the ground a number of times, once after bouncing off my eyeball. But it is fun when they interact with us that intimately.

Acereaux

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
One of my most favorite things to do with them! However my girls are BIG jumpers, almost periodically you can hear them jumping haha. I had to lower the water level down a bit even with my tank hood! They must be practicing for the Aquarium Olympics (this should be a thing, we should start this!).

S05468

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I love hand feeding my boys but my girls are major jumpers. I have been smacked in the face, arm and neck by them. A couple unfortunately fell to the floor but they are okay, I just feel bad for them because it is a long fall to a hard floor for a little fishy... For the last week I now just throw some food in the aquarium and close the hood super fast.

Faber1790

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
My boys are my jumpers. As soon as I open the hood to feed them they start jumping. Luckily they don't jump very high and the water level is low because it is a divided tank. One of my boys even swims in my hand. However, my favorite thing my bettas do is the dance they do when I walk by their tanks. It reminds me of my dog.

alyymarie

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Yeah, hand-feeding definitely encourages them to jump. I do it too, I just have to be careful and not let my hands hover too much. The girls always get very excited and start jumping before they can even see the food. But on the same note, I also like that it makes them not afraid of my hands, so it doesn't bother them if I have to have my hands in the tank.

stargazerwolf

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I have heard that bettas can be good jumpers. So far no jumping from him, but he is a double tail halfmoon betta so I don't know if his fins would weigh him down too much for that. The only space in my hood is for the filter and heater, otherwise its always enclosed. I hope he doesn't start jumping.

utkgreg

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Very cool. I can hand feed my mbunas. It's great to build that type of interaction with them.

_Fried_Bettas_

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
While I don't hand feed them. From a very young age they start getting fed blackworms from a pipette. They certainly know what that thing is. Some attack it hard enough to knock it out of my fingers.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom