Halfmoon Betta

DavidJTurley

Reaction score
HI all,

I changed my water on Thursday in my fish tank and I don’t know if I am just overthinking and over stressing about my Betta but here is a couple of things I’ve noticed in his behaviour which I haven’t noticed before and even with my neon and orange tetras;

- his fins seem to be changing. He has started growing little blue streaks down his tail that weren’t there before. However, I don’t know if that’s been the past couple of days or even weeks as I’ve been paying more attention to him.

- I’ve noticed parts of his tail are starting to look a little torn and I don’t see him biting them or anything and there isn’t really sharp objects in the tank. a few ornaments that are rounded and smooth and live plants. The tetras don’t seem to be going for him either so I don’t think it is fin nipping or fin rot. There is also no white spots or velvet.

- his bottom tail seems to be a little bit more clamped than usual since the water change.

- he seems to be swimming quite aggressively and quite “skittish”- he is quite a skatty fish anyway but he seems to be more erratic than usual! This is the same for the neons- they all seem to be chasing one another around (again, more than usual).

I am assuming the evidence probably suggests the water change wasn’t great? However, I did a 30% water change on the second week like I always do (I do the water change every other week and has seemed to work for the past year). Should I change another 30%?

I have attached photos so people can see what the Betta was like when purchased on 20th January and what he looks like on 29th March.

Any advice would help- thanks!

Attachments

AquaCaitlin

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Hello!
for your first point: the color changing: it is probably just him marbling. Some bettas will change color over time. I had one that was splotched with red, white, and blue and it changed to be completely purple.

It is quite possible that he is ripping his fins on something. Make sure to double check all decor for even the smallest sharp things, any jagged edges or even a twig could be tearing his fins.

The behavior he is displaying, with the clamped tail and erratic swimming seems to suggest there is something stressing him out. I would double check to make sure he has plenty of hiding spots (my bettas especially like their hiding places to be dark) and definitely test the water parameters.

hope this helped!

OP
DavidJTurley

DavidJTurley

Reaction score
Thank you. It seems strange that the material seems to be suddenly damaging his tail as none of the decorations have changed in the 2 months he has been in the tank.
There is a mixture of a wide range of plants and a coral structure that he seems to have made his home which he hides in and again- only seems to have shown this behaviour since I changed the water on Thursday which is leading me to believe it must be something wrong in the water! Especially as my tetras are acting strange as well.
I will look to change 20% tomorrow

AquaCaitlin

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
DavidJTurley said:
Thank you. It seems strange that the material seems to be suddenly damaging his tail as none of the decorations have changed in the 2 months he has been in the tank.
There is a mixture of a wide range of plants and a coral structure that he seems to have made his home which he hides in and again- only seems to have shown this behaviour since I changed the water on Thursday which is leading me to believe it must be something wrong in the water! Especially as my tetras are acting strange as well.
I will look to change 20% tomorrow
Do you have a water test kit? Its always good to keep one around, the API freshwater master kit being one of the best.

OP
DavidJTurley

DavidJTurley

Reaction score
I don’t :/ and especially because the shops like pet shops are not open at the moment with the virus breakout- I would struggle to get a kit.
The only viable option would be to get one off of Amazon and hope they would deliver ASAP!

AquaCaitlin

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
DavidJTurley said:
I don’t :/ and especially because the shops like pet shops are not open at the moment with the virus breakout- I would struggle to get a kit.
The only viable option would be to get one off of Amazon and hope they would deliver ASAP!
I ordered mine off amazon, it’s a decent price as well.
You could always order it now, it’s a must-have in fishkeeping, so even if it takes a bit to arrive you’ll have it for the future.

New Threads