Half Year Update. Pretty Bad Algae Problem

Fahn

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
15 looks intimidating. Don’t snails produce a lot of waste?
They convert algae to poop. Lots of it, which contributes to more algae if you don't have lots of plants to break the waste down.

A few nerites are fine though, but I wouldn't do more than 5.

Avectasi

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
They convert algae to poop. Lots of it, which contributes to more algae if you don't have lots of plants to break the waste down.

A few nerites are fine though, but I wouldn't do more than 5.
I’ll think on that. I do have a ramshorn that I didn’t knew where he came from but he’s still there eating some of the algae from the streak marks he make

Avectasi

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Again ( I posted a few days ago ) a few nerite snail (3) there cheap and 1 Siamese algae eater within 1-2 weeks the tank will be like new
I’ll probably will be purchasing these in the next week hopefully. My LFS does sell nerites but I’m not sure if they have algae eaters

Burnout1620

Valued Member
Reaction score
As far as the snails go, keep in mind that once they clear the algae you’ll need to provide food for them. They aren’t fast so if your other tank inhabitants take a liking to their food you could have a problem there. It might be better to first attempt to find out what imbalance in your water is contributing to your algae outbreaks.

Do you know how much nitrate is in your tap water? If it’s high to begin with you could be fighting a never ending battle.

GillCintonsMom

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
We're trying some Purigen by Seachem recommended to us by our local fish store, we have a little algae problem as well but not quite as prominent. (I'll let you know how it works out, we put it in tonight)

Where is your tank located? Is it by any windows that get lots of light?

Avectasi

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Okay I’m about to check if they have algae eaters in stock. I did some research and other people’s experiences they say they’re aggressive and will outgrow my 29gal?

yinoma2001

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I got 3 OTOs and they cleaned all my algae off in a weekend (and continue to do so). Amazing and they are small. However, they are a crapshoot as some are badly starved by the time they reach the LFS and they really subsist mostly on algae.

Avectasi

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I got 3 OTOs and they cleaned all my algae off in a weekend (and continue to do so). Amazing and they are small. However, they are a crapshoot as some are badly starved by the time they reach the LFS and they really subsist mostly on algae.
I was about to say “otocinclus rg” my LFS sell these and don’t have Chinese algae eater in stock should I get these?

yinoma2001

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I was about to say “otocinclus rg” my LFS sell these and don’t have Chinese algae eater in stock should I get these?
I would recommend it. They are small, and they are relentless algae cleaners. My plants had a bit of brown and green algae...gone. They clean the glass and even the biofilm on my driftwood. Just awesome. Look for ones that have plumper stomachs. Do not get ones with sunken in stomachs as they will die.

Avectasi

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Yes, much better, especially if your nitrates are low.

CAEs get a foot long and aggressive, they stop eating algae and instead suck the slime coats off other fish.
Alright. I got 3 of these and are in process of introducing to the tank. I also bought floating plants. Floating lettuce that might help with the shade

yinoma2001

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Alright. I got 3 of these and are in process of introducing to the tank. I also bought floating plants. Floating lettuce that might help with the shade
Nice. Keep us posted. Honestly, they were 1.99 each and they've already done more for my tank than any other fish to clean up stuff.

Tol

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Otos are great. Siamese Algae Eater is the one someone was recommending. They are peaceful, max out around 6 inches and continue to algae their whole life. Stores sometimes label CAE as SAE or vice versa. You can look at pics online to know the difference. Otos should do just fine. They won't really eat hair algae or BBA. They generally will eat diatoms and soft green algae though. If you run out of algae you can suppliment with blanched zucchini or algae wafers.

Avectasi

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Hello again! Everything is going great for now what I can tell. I’ve added some java moss and plants for my shrimp.

I have a question about the dwarf suckers (octos)..
How do you feed them? Since they mostly stick to the glass is there a way to know if they’re being fed well since my algae is pretty going away but also preparing for when it’s gone.

I saw someone said give them algae wafers I could try but the problem is my tetras scavenge everything they see that floats and probably fits in their mouth. I tried with my past shrimps it starts to make particles and then for a while the tetras are fighting at it who gets the larger water piece.

Advice on how to feed otos?

kallililly1973

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
You can try small pieces of Zucchini or Algae Wafers and sometimes they will go for it. But they will usually find their meals on your glass and plants and decorations or driftwood and as long as it looks like they have a nice little round belly their doing just fine.

Avectasi

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
You can try small pieces of Zucchini or Algae Wafers and sometimes they will go for it. But they will usually find their meals on your glass and plants and decorations or driftwood and as long as it looks like they have a nice little round belly their doing just fine.
I snap these recently on how they’re doing if this means anything that they’re being fed (Yes the filter is filled with duckweed I try to keep it away from it)

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom