Half Year Update. Pretty Bad Algae Problem

Discussion in 'Algae' started by Avectasi, Jun 8, 2019.

1. Avectasi

AvectasiValued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +10
    Experience:
    1 year
    So within the months I’ve had my 29 gallon tank with 1 betta 5 neon tetras and 6 black tetras doing well. One of my neons died awhile ago due to being stuck in the sponge filter. But what the problem is the algae I have spreads very quickly which I’m not sure if it harms the fish but they seem fine but as the looks for the tank doesn’t seem pretty. The glass gets covered easily. Not sure if magnetic sponges help but sometimes they scrape it off but the sponge leaves a pretty bad poop smell

I recently gave it a weekly water change. I change around 4-5 gallos of 29 gallons in the tank weekly. Though every time if I try to clean or add water all the algae starts flying everywhere making it look very bad meanwhile the tetras are trying to eat it lol.

is there a way that will stop the growing? Here’s are some pictures I took on how it looks. It grows on my rocks giving out air bubbles inside. But you can tell its a pretty bad algae in the tank.

Attached Files:

2. OhDaniGirl

OhDaniGirlValued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +72
    Experience:
    Just started
    Have you tried cutting back on your lighting? Or splitting it up? I have my tank lights on for 4 hours in the morning and 4 in the evening, and it helps keep the algae down.

3. OP
    OP
    Avectasi

Ratings:
    +10
    Experience:
    1 year
    Hmm I haven’t tried that Ive used from the kit that was in. I have a timer though it goes off at 9am-7pm and what I can tell it’s pretty bright

4. Fahn

FahnFishlore VIPMember

Ratings:
    +3,546
    First of all I would be changing 15 gallons of water weekly as you are currently changing out only about 15% when you should be doing 50%.

10 hours of light is excessive, cut it back to 6.

Manually remove as much algae as you can.

Feed your fish once a day every other day. This will cut back on waste.

Do you have live plants? Are you dosing any fertilizers?

5. OhDaniGirl

OhDaniGirlValued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +72
    Experience:
    Just started
    I would start with cutting back on the hours of lighting, and see if that helps.

6. Fahn

FahnFishlore VIPMember

Ratings:
    +3,546
  7. OP
    OP
    Avectasi

Ratings:
    +10
    Experience:
    1 year
    Should I do it now or wait until it’s settled since I recently changed it?

8. Fahn

FahnFishlore VIPMember

Ratings:
    +3,546
    You can wait for it to settle.

9. OP
    OP
    Avectasi

Ratings:
    +10
    Experience:
    1 year
    I’ll try to cut it back more thanks!

Should I get a sponge scraper at the local pet store to manually remove algae?

Ill try cutting it possible. I mostly feed them 1 feeding per day as flakes and pellets

I do have live plants but it’s been covered with algae which killed them so as now there’s not a lot as before. I don’t use fertilizer though I should’ve but I’ve used the liquid for plants I forgot what’s it called

Though as my bucket which only gets 5 gallons each time is a hassle which is probably too much for me. (Should’ve known before fish-keeping) I have the python water changer but the problem is that none of the sinks connect to it neither the adapters which is more of a problem...

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 8, 2019
  10. Fahn

FahnFishlore VIPMember

Ratings:
    +3,546
    The best tools to have in your arsenal for cleaning glass are a razor blade and Mr. Clean Magic erasers (I buy the generic Walmart brand). Combined there is nothing they can't scrub or scrape off.

Your algae was probably caused by a combination the following:
    1) excessive amounts of light
    2) not a high enough plantload to utilize that much light
    3) plants were not getting fertilizers, so were easily outcompeted by algae
    4) small, insufficient water changes allowed organics and nitrates to accumulate, fueling algae growth

How you can fix it:
    1) manually remove as much algae as possible, siphon loose algae out with a hose
    2) cut back on the feedings to every other day
    3) reduce your lighting to 6 hours
    4) do larger water changes of 50% weekly
    5) also, while the algae is bad, do frequent small water changes of 5 gallons or less daily if you want
    6) add fast growing stem plants*, and provide them with nutrients with fertilizers; NilocG Thrive is one of the best liquid fertilizers you can get
    7) floating plants such as Salvinia or Amazon frogbit will filter your water and shade the plants underneath from excess light

*Ludwigia repens, Rotala indica, Hygrophila corymbosa, Bacopa caroliniana, Hydrocotyle tripartita, to name a few

Bruh

Try changing out a minimum of 25% on a 75 gallon saltwater, 50 gallon saltwater, 15 gallon saltwater, 2x 55 gallon freshwater, a 30 gallon freshwater, and a 5 gallon freshwater tank with just 2x 5 gallon buckets and a hose every weekend. And the distance between the water reservoir and the tanks was a good 70 feet.

Point is that if you want to keep your tanks clean and healthy, you have to be willing to put in the work.

11. OP
    OP
    Avectasi

Ratings:
    +10
    Experience:
    1 year
    Darn pretty much a body builder lol. I’ll try doing most of it in this upcoming week. Thank you!

12. Dennis57

Dennis57Valued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +75
    Experience:
    5 years
    Increase your water change to like 50% a week, feed your fish every other day only enough that they will eat within 2-3 minutes.
    If you don't have live plants, keep lights on like 5-6 hours a day.
    Buy either a Siamese algae eater and or some Nerite Snails.

13. TucanSam

TucanSamValued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +52
    Experience:
    1 year
    Do you have a hose hookup outside? Pythons will easily attach to that.

14. OP
    OP
    Avectasi

Ratings:
    +10
    Experience:
    1 year
    I do have a hose but I’m not sure if it’s too cold for the fish since I keep it in the 77s haven’t tried the temperature for it

15. Gavius

GaviusNew MemberMember

Ratings:
    +10
    I had pretty bad green hair algae problem like you but Seachem excel cleared them all in about 2 weeks. I skipped the loading dose but doubled the recommended daily dosage. It didnt seem to affect my cherry shrimps and fishes at all.

16. OP
    OP
    Avectasi

Ratings:
    +10
    Experience:
    1 year
    So an update for you guys,

Im currently doing a large water change probably around 10 gals or more and trying my best to scrub all of the algae off the decor and plants.

The rocks are the most difficult since both are covered with but one is just stuck with algae so I’m not sure how should I take it out. After all the hard scrubbing with the Mr Clean eraser it sure turned very dark green. I try to vacuum most of the algae out but there is A TON of small algae floating around the vacuum does little job for sucking it up. Not sure how should I take out the rest of the floating algae so tips are welcome!

By vacuum I meant siphon...

17. kallililly1973

kallililly1973Fishlore VIPMember

Ratings:
    +3,137
    Experience:
    2 years
    Everyone set you on the right track. You can take some polyfill and use an elastic and attach it to your intake then before you remove it put a net under it so it grabs a large amount of it. Keep up with 50% WC's and testing your parameters and manual removal of any excessive algae you see and you will be good to go.

18. Fahn

FahnFishlore VIPMember

Ratings:
    +3,546
    If the algae on the rocks is stubborn, take a steel wire brush and give them a good scrub.

19. Oarngesi

OarngesiValued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +41
    Experience:
    Just started
    Green nerite snails will take care of the algae throw about 15 in and you’ll be golden

20. OP
    OP
    Avectasi

Ratings:
    +10
    Experience:
    1 year
    15 looks intimidating. Don’t snails produce a lot of waste?

Also this how it looks now. Much visible but yet a lot of floating specks of algae. I’ll try to get another test kit I’ve lost my paper plus one of the glass tubes broke.. Right now I don’t have enough to get the stuff I need maybe in the upcoming week

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 11, 2019

Become a Fishlore Member