Half Suns And Artificial Hatching

Sean Smith

hey , I breed a male crowntail and a female halfmoon and hoping for half suns . May not work out but I expect them to be fairly pretty either way . But after two tries, The male ate the eggs. This time I took him out and half the eggs have hatched using a soft air flow in the sponge filter and the water treated with Kardon methlyne blue in a ten gallon tank . Hoping it works . I’ll keep updates on it and would like any info on how to ensure the artificial hatchlings can stay healthy till they’re free swimming . And I’ll keep posts on how they grow . Thanks

Sean Smith

They’re dispersed all over the tank now but I’m not noticing any deaths which is good . Couple more days like this and I can go on to treating them how I normally treat free swimming fry

Sean Smith

They’re free swimming now . So methlyne blue is really all you need to hatch Bettas and a light flow on a sponge filter . Might do artificial hatching more often now if I have any weird or problematic males .

Demeter

Was there still a bubble nest? I hear eggs that fall and are not put back in the nest end up dying, same for many of the fry. Of course if the water is low enough and there's something for them to cling to, along with the Meth. blue it should be alright.

Can we have pictures of the parents?

Sean Smith

Bubble nest was gone after a couple days but I have a lot of floating plants . So they did fine . But I think that’s what the meth blue is for . And yeah give me a couple minutes for photos . Make no promises . Bettas are typically not photogenic .

Sean Smith

Mother and father( mother wouldn’t give me a good photo.

coralbandit

Remove the MB after the eggs become wigglers .Studies have shown it can cause permanent damage to fry raised in it.
I artificially hatch many fish. I always remove the MB after the eggs turn to wigglers.
It is only being used to prevent the eggs from fungus...
Good luck and pretty cool!

Sean Smith

Ok cool thanks

Sean Smith

They are all hiding in the plants and eating little cultures of cyclops . Seed shrimp . Planara . And I think they’re called aphnia ( can’t remember ) . But I don’t see any sign of deaths and they’re all about a quarter of an inch or so . So I’m happy to see they all made it very well after artificially hatching Bettas for the first time . Can’t wait to see if they get a suntail/combtail appearance .

Demeter

Daphnia I think is what you mean. Sounds like things are going well. How many would you guess there are? Have you started doing partial water changes yet?

Sean Smith

Hasn’t been a full week yet but will I’m a couple days . Since the male ate most of the nest till I got in time to remove him . I’d say 20-40 . Last nest he ate was over 200 and he did it in one night -_- couldn’t say what the original nest size was

Sean Smith

So the survival rate was fairly low . Out of the twenty that didn’t get eaten I have ten left . They all are starting to show a combtail characteristic and the growth has been weird . Two are still tiny while some are half way to the biggest ones and the biggest one is a little over an inch now . So I’m not sure how well this actually turned out . They are all growing kinda slowly except the biggest one and I only had a 50 percent survival rate . Not sure if artificial hatching has anything to do with it

Sean Smith

So they all have the half sun tail I was hoping for . I can’t wait to see how they turn out when fully grown.they still are growing fairly slowly which is weird . I haven’t done anything different feeding or temp wise for any of the other Bettas I’ve raised. I think I’m still going to have to work on getting the 180 degree spread I want though

Sean Smith

Sadly the one with best colors has a minor spine issue that I didn’t see when he was younger . And I think his back fun is slightly deformed too . So he won’t be able to be used for any breeding . He has his own 1.5 gallon tank now .

Most photos, videos and links are disabled if you are not logged in.

Top Bottom