Half Filling A Tank?

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by FishFingars, Apr 21, 2017.

1. FishFingarsNew MemberMember

Hi all,

I need to desperately rehouse my pregnant Platy who is currently in a 3g tank. I have a 25g tank on standby but because I need to move soon, I can't properly set it up. I was wondering if it would be OK to only half fill the tank for now (1-2 months) and have her live in there. We are coming into winter in Australia and where I live it gets quite cold so I'm not sure if that will effect half filling a tank as there would be more surface area for heat to escape. Thanks :)

2. aquatickeeper

aquatickeeperFishlore VIPMember

Yes, it can work, platies can thrive in 12.5 (half of 25) gallons of water. As for filtration, I would suggest using a sponge filter.

3. smee82Fishlore VIPMember

You can have fill a tank as long as ypu have enough water for your filter to work and you will still meed a heater.

4. OP
    OP
    F

FishFingarsNew MemberMember

Thanks @aquatickeeper and @smee82 :) I have been sick this weekend so I haven't had time to set it up or fill it, but that is on the plans for this week! I have a filter and heater ready to go, so it should just be a matter of setting up the new tank, treating the water, heating the water, then installing the filter :) Oh and moving the Platy across :)

5. aquatickeeper

aquatickeeperFishlore VIPMember

Make sure the media has bacteria on it!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice