55 Gallon Tank Half Coldwater Half Tropical Tank?

kelsangdol

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I have a 55 gallon tank and I want goldfish and tropical fish but I do not have seperate tanks.
I was wondering if it is possible to put a tank divider between my tank. roughly 25 gallons each for each side.
I also have two filters. One is strong enough for goldfish and the other is a canister, slow but effective.
I could also put a heater in one side for the tropicals.
Could this set up work?
I have experience with goldfish and I have knowledge about tropicals

Jaysee

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
It could only work if you were to seperate the two sides. You would need to silicone two pieces of glass a few inches apart to create a buffer between sides.

Meenu

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
You have to consider horizontal swim space. If a 55g (approx. 48 inches long, I think) is divided in half, it would only leave about 24 inches of horizontal swim space for your goldfish, which I do not think is enough.

Jaysee

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
You have to consider horizontal swim space. If a 55g (approx. 48 inches long, I think) is divided in half, it would only leave about 24 inches of horizontal swim space for your goldfish, which I do not think is enough.
No one said it had to be an even split

except the OP....my bad

Last edited:

jetajockey

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Also you'd think thered be residual heat transferred to the cold side without some form of insulation between them. (I saw the buffer comment just thought I'd expound)

claudicles

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Yep, I am guessing your heater is going to be working overtime as the circulating cold water draws heat away from the divide between the two. A think enough insulting layer between the two would be needed and I personally don't think it would look that great. A 25 gallon gold fish tank is pretty limiting too.

Jaysee

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
whether or not it would work is not up for debate - it most certainly will, provided a gap is left between the sides. as for the aesthetics of it - its the OPs tank.

kelsangdol

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Aww, I've decided on a 55 gallon community tank, all tropical

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom