Half Black Fry Developing Early?

1. cody2posh

cody2posh Valued Member Member

So I had a fish drop fry last week. It was an oddity in and of itself, albiet a small miracle, due to her seemingly dropping fry from two different males. One was a half black body, peacock patterned sunburst tail, the other was this beautiful pale gold bodied male with a tail colored like a flame, who actually died a few weeks ago. Half the fry from the drop had the same golden body as the deceased male, so I naturally assumed they were all his fry, the others were just didn't carry the genes to make this happen as the gold color is a recessive trait. However now, not even a full week after the fry dropped, the other half are already showing the back half of their bodies darkening and the beginnings of the peacock patterned tails!

So my two questions are namely 1) I've NEVER had guppy fry start to get color this quickly, is it normal with half blacks though? Or is this something unique and I might be on to some cool looking fish w an early phenotype marker?? I've also never gotten successful crossing of genetically recessive morphs until now, and it happened twice, in the same fish, in the same drop, which brings me to 2) has anyone else had a guppy drop fry from two different males in a single drop? All of the literature says this shouldn't be possible, but I've already spoken to one older guy who confirmed that he too had Guppies in the 80s whom he experienced these phenomena with. SO, are we on to something here? WILL THEY NEED TO REWRITE THE TEXTBOOKS BECAUSE OF MY TANK?!

2. RainBetta

RainBetta Well Known Member Member

I can't answer the second question, but for the first one, I think that black guppies getting color that early isnt too unusual. Some of my black guppy fry began showing color days after they were born. I've noticed that only really happens with black guppies. Can you post a picture of your most unique fry? Just curious, but I'll have to see a fry before I can definitely answer ur question

3. Faith Bennett

Faith Bennett New Member Member

For the second question, are you sure it’s from the other male, and not just a recessive color? I’m not big with genetics and all that but it’s possible the fry could have been born with a hidden color. definitely would be interesting if it was from the other male though.