Half Banded Spiny Eel Help

Discussion in 'Oddball Fish' started by perrydaplatypus, Jun 17, 2018.

1. p

perrydaplatypus Valued Member Member

Alright guys and gals i may have jumped the gun and bought a half banded spiny eel, thats what i believe it is after soing research online, from a fish store. Will my eel be fine in my tank if i only have regular imagitarium gravel. He/she seems fine with it and is able to burrow in and out no problem so far, but i read that if i dont have sand it cam be dangerous for him. Is this true? Am i fine? If not any recomendations on how to swap it out? I was thinking if i had to swap one side of tank now and try to do rest later so as not to disturb the BB too much. Or leave a small layer of the gravel under the sand so some of the BB will remain.

2. Mcasella

Mcasella Fishlore VIP Member

If the gravel is shape when it buries it can hurt itself and quite badly. Your BB is going to be 95% in your filter, changing out the gravel (don't clean the filter for a couple weeks after this switch as it can cause a mini cycle from all the gunk in the gravel causing ammonia spikes the filter bacteria needs to take care of before cleaning filter) to sand will not hurt. About 5% of your bacteria hangs out in the rest of the tank, substrate, decor, and such, this switch will not kill off your major bacteria that is keeping your cycle.

3. snowballPLECO

snowballPLECO Valued Member Member

I advocate for sand no matter what fish you have, it’s the best substrate. It can’t hurt your fish and it gives them the ability to sift through it.

4. OP
    OP
    p

perrydaplatypus Valued Member Member

Thanks guys

5. Bradley Moles

Bradley Moles Valued Member Member

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice