Half-banded Spiny Eel: Picky Eater Question

1. MTV'sKribs

MTV'sKribs New Member Member

So to start with a little background info, I have a 75 gallon tank with very good filtration. Amongst other fish, I have two half-banded spiny eels in the tank.

I got the first one at about 4 inches and he has been picky... but immediately ate the frozen bloodworms I offered him. He has been fine and growing ever since.

The problem is with the second one. I purchased this one at about 6 inches and he has more girth to him. In fact, it looks like he has eaten well his entire life. The issue is that he won’t touch anything I have offered. He won’t touch any frozen food, yet alone pellets. I have even purchased a few ghost shrimp here and there in hopes he will snack on them at night but as many of you probably know, finding tiny shrimp in a 75 gallon is no easy task. Therefore, I am unable to confirm if he has even tried to go after any.

I have had him for over a week and a half. All the other inhabitants are eating well. Parameters are all fine and the tank is always taken care of. In other words I am pretty sure he isn’t sick.

I am thinking I will have to try live food. I have the choice to order live black worms from the LFS... do any of you know if those would do the trick? Or any other live food recommendations? I hate to have to turn to live foods as there is always risk of disease but I see no other option. Any ideas or recommendations would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

2. 75g Discus Tank

75g Discus Tank Fishlore VIP Member

Try soaking the food in garlic.

3. OP
    OP
    MTV'sKribs

MTV'sKribs New Member Member

Thanks @75g Discus Tank, I have heard that will entice them! And as far as an update would go, here is what I have noticed:

I have not seen any shrimp. Which in theory doesn’t mean much, but he may have potentially ate them. The more notable thing is that one of my gold tetras is mysteriously missing... which I can only assume was eaten by the eel. I had two gold tetra survivors from my old tank so I am not too bummed about it. Mainly just happy to know he at least has some food in his belly!