Hairgrass Carpet

jaydivingboard

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I cannot get my hairgrass to carpet I've had the tank set up since February running C02 and high light, heavy ferts, any ideas?
20200712_175528.jpg

CichlidCody

Reaction score
The lights dont seem to even be directly above some of the hairgrass, that may be the issue. Do you have a full spectrum LED light?

GlennO

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
That doesn't look like high light. Floating plants blocking it maybe? Or just not on full when the pic was taken?

mrjohn

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Like others have said, I think lighting is the issue. Can you physically lower the light source? It just doesn't seem to be reaching the bottom.

OP
jaydivingboard

jaydivingboard

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
It is a fluval plant 3.0 meant for 40-55 gallons I have it on the minimum 40 gallon, I have the lights slightly dimmed bc when I full blast them it causes algae to bloom

MoshJosh said:
What soil? Using root tabs?
Fluval Strarum capped with sand and yes plenty of root tabs

mrjohn said:
Like others have said, I think lighting is the issue. Can you physically lower the light source? It just doesn't seem to be reaching the bottom.
It is on the rim, I have quite a bit of floaters that probably block a lot of the light the only way I could get in a position to be closer to allowing more light is by moving to the front of the tank where i have no floaters

CichlidCody said:
The lights dont seem to even be directly above some of the hairgrass, that may be the issue. Do you have a full spectrum LED light?
Yes it is a full spectrum Fluval Plant 3.0

As a reference this was the lights intensity before the floaters took over

Attachments

OP
jaydivingboard

jaydivingboard

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Update: did the tubing method you guys suggested and have them over my low light plants, noticing a bit of hair algae growth now, should I try increasing C02 injection or decreasing light intensity? Tank light is dim as could be for 4 hours of the day (2 in morning, 2 at night) and on full for 7 hours, I keep the white lights at 50% during the day because I have read white lights are for us not for the plants, but I keep the red light at 100% and blue at 50%

OP
jaydivingboard

jaydivingboard

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
My light was covered in hard water build up from my well water, wiped it away and that mixed with less floaters has made a dramatic improvement

New Threads