Hair-like algae...

1. Llama Well Known Member Member

First of all, hello again guys, been a while since I was around here last...

So I'm having this problem. Its some sort of algae (but it looks more evolved than that - perhaps some kind of moss?) It looks like hair, and it grows EVERYWHERE, in between gravel, around plants, on glass... everywhere. I've put images of it inside the water and when I took it out.

Now, it looks ugly, so today I spent an hour removing all of it. It won't last a week in this state, it grows very quickly.

So the question is -

1. What is it?
    2. How do I remove it?

The tank has been around for a year and a bit, so its cycled and all that. The water I'm using is well water, which contains 10ppm of Nitrates. I don't want to use tap water, because maltese tap water is very hard.

I don't want to use chemicals to remove it, so is there a good way of making sure it stays down? The tank is rather heavily planted (an attempt to reduce nitrates).

Thanks ;)

Attached Files:

2. Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

3. Llama Well Known Member Member

Those links are very useful.

Hair algae it is.

I don't think I'll find specailised testing kits (Phosphates maybe but Silicates defentally not). I'll clean my filter this weekend and see if anything happens

Just a question: If I were to buy a pair of apple snails, would they eat the algae? Would they PREFER the algae to eating the rest of the plants?

4. Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member