Hair/green Algae And Diatoms

Tanko

Reaction score
I've had a 20 gallon aquarium set up for about 3 months now. Current stock is five danios, five neons, and a nerite. I've been battling the diatoms of new tank syndrome for about a month, and seemed to have solved the problem by increasing flow, lessening light exposure, and spreading out my fertilizer over the course of a week. Then I noticed some green stuff on a couple rocks and drift wood. I took out the piece of wood that was being problematic and boiled it (it had been in a friend's tank previously), and removed the worst of the rocks. That seems to have slowed down the green algae, but just now I noticed some stringy white stuff on my plants, which I'm assuming is hair algae.
I do a 25% water change once a week, and the ph of my tap water is 8.4. Once in my tank, it goes down to 7.2. Currently, Ammonia is 0, Nitrites are 0, and Nitrates are 10 (API Master). Temp is set to 70 F, although it is going up ever so slowly as summer rolls around. Lights are on for 7 hours a day on a timer. I dose 1/7 of a week's worth of Seachem flourish every day.
Let me know if you need to know anything else, but I hope you guys can help me stop this before it becomes a much bigger problem.

Tanko

Reaction score
TexasDomer said:
Can you take a pic of the white stringy stuff? Hair algae isn't usually white.
It's impossible to see on camera on the plants, but you can make out the couple of pieces that have broken off onto my pre filter.

tank.jpg

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom