Hair algea in planted tank

1. s

spacecowby573 New Member Member

So I have lurked here awhile and some other sites and finally got the courage to start a planted freshwater tank in 29 gallons. I got it all setup and going and now I have green hair algae growing in it. Current stock is 12 tetra's, 2 clown loaches, and 4 ghost shrimp. I have a marineland led light with 6500K white and 3 watt RGB LED's. My tank has a standard HOB filter. From my understanding the algae is because of to many nutrients, to much light, not enough CO2. My white lights are only on from 10am to 8pm. I dose excel once a day and i quit adding flourish. The algae however is still here and it seems to be following the light. I moved my light from back to front and now the algae growth is more prominent in front. I have tryed to figure this one out on my own but I just don't know. I have dwarf babytears, dwarf grass, and a chainsword for plants along with a couple pieces of malayasian driftwood. The temp is 78 in the tank and the other stats are as follows GH=60, KH=80, PH=7.6, NO2=0 and NO3=0. Thank you in advance for your help.

2. M

Mamajin Fishlore VIP Member

I had that stuff in one of my old tanks and could never get rid of it. I finally got annoyed and tossed out the plants lol. I'll be following this thread to see what advice others offer, and if anything worked for you. Good luck!!!

3. AquaticBrandon

AquaticBrandon Well Known Member Member

I had the same problem in my old planted tank. I didn't know what to do because the algae kept coming back. I just decided to leave the algae and over time it just surprisingly went away. Try removing it by hand to see if that helps

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

4. r

reaper12122 Valued Member Member

had the same problem i had a ton of hair algae in my 55 planted tank then i got a uv sterilizer and a whip tail catfish and good bye algae its all gone

5. Marie1

Marie1 Well Known Member Member

A quick fix is to use Flourish Excel and put it in a syringe and shot it directly on the algae. This works very well.

Next I would reduce your photo period to 7 hours a day. Too much light is an easy fix, and it usually helps. Give it some time, a couple weeks, and see if that helps.

6. fengshui

fengshui Valued Member Member

I strongly suggest getting some amano shrimp, they work TERRIFIC. My tank was covered in hair algae, and after I placed them in, they ate all the easy foods, then gobbled the hair algae within a month.

7. Jim

Jim Well Known Member Member

I use Peroxide -3% - one tablespoon per 10 gallons or water. Turn off the filter and any type of flow device and dose the peroxide via a large plastic syringe gently on the hair algae! or black beard. Let it sit for 15 minutes and then start your filtration. If you are over whelmed try this hardcore method.
    http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/showthread.php?t=203684&highlight=killing+bba

I have done it exactly as mentioned in the first post, but don't forget - there is NOT 10 gallons of water in a 10 gallon tank. I tested with some cherry shrimp, platies and cories. No damage to anyone. I was there the whole time and no fish missed a stroke. Don't forget that an opened bottle of Peroxide is only good for about 30 days.

PS: GOOD to see ya back MAMA!

8. Rivieraneo

Rivieraneo Moderator Moderator Member

I agree with Jim, this method was effective for me with cyano bacteria as well. Best of luck.

9. G

GreekThology New Member Member

Amano (Japanese) Shrimp work well, but imo and personal experience, I LOVE nerite snails, They're about nickle size, they won't eat the live plants, don't reproduce in freshwater, bioload is bit less than the shrimp and they are real fun to watch move around eating the algae.

10. G

GreekThology New Member Member

ImageUploadedByFish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum1407491463.552178.jpg
    I've got three of these guys in my 10g tank along with 3 Amano shrimps. Would take more nerite snails over shrimp :)

11. A

AlyeskaGirl Fishlore VIP Member

Hair type algae are almost always caused by too little CO2 or lighting. You have an imbalance. Trick is figuring out what it is. Reduce your photoperioud to 6-8 hours. Do not limit nutrients for the plants or that can cause algae.

12. OP
    OP
    s

Thanks for the replies. Here are some pics of what I am dealing with.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. Jim

Jim Well Known Member Member

I almost think you are going to have to do the FULL treatment on that.

14. OP
    OP
    s

What exactly do you mean?

15. ppate1977

ppate1977 Well Known Member Member

That's really not "out of control" IMO. Cut your lighting down to 4-5 hours a day and you should start to notice a difference. Then you can figure out the imbalance and return to 6-7 hours a day of light.

16. OP
    OP
    s

Would doing a blackout be recommended?

17. Marie1

Marie1 Well Known Member Member

No. Cut down on the photo period. And do as suggested with the Excel or peroxide which ever you choose.

I have never seen a tank so bad that it would constitute completely blacking out a tank. Yours certainly isn't that bad. You could leave you lights off for a week and as long as no direct sunlight was getting into the tank your algae would be greatly reduced, and the plants would be fine.

But as @ppate1977 has already suggested, reduce the photo period to 4 or 5 hours a day. Then increase it to 6 or 7 hours a day. Use the peroxide or Excel when doing this.

18. AquaticBrandon

AquaticBrandon Well Known Member Member

I do not recommend a "blackout" since you have live plants it might affect them. I did this before and it killed most of my plants.