Hair Algae...

Status
Not open for further replies.

BigJoe

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
So apparently even though it layed in wait anna's hair algae has struck in my tank... I really don't want to try CO2 but i think that once i move i might have to... current setup: 14g tank with stock hood, 2x26W CFL 6500K less than a month old running about 8 hrs a day, 200+gph with 2 filters (one about 80 and one 120), 1.5in gravel bed.
Plants: large bush of java moss, large bunch of naja grass, 1 crypt, 3-5 various type java fern. and one bulb plant i don't remember name...
Fish:4 neons, 1 glowlight
Misc. lots and lots of snails.

Q's?
can I get by without CO2 since i upgraded from about 2.5WPG to 3WPG? i sometimes use tetra greenleaf fert. is that making any difference? and most importantly how can i get rid of all this algae?

Butterfly

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Every thing you have in your tank except the naja grass are slow growers. You may have too many ferts and too much light for them.
I use Flourish excel to provide a carbon source instead of CO2 it also is good about starving out algae and making nutrients more available for the plants use.
Carol

OP
B

BigJoe

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
i only use the fert about 1-2 times a month and only a few drops so i doubt it is that... i might look into the flourish if i can find it i tried for a while but noone carries it arnoud where i live... i read that a hour break in the middle of the day hurts algae but not plants so i might try that as well.... thanks butterfly... could you maybe suggest some other fast growing plants that should be cheap that i might try it seems i have enough light for all but the highest light plants...

Butterfly

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Wisteria

Either one of the water sprites

Most stem plants are fast growers.
These are usually the easiest to find.
Carol

Nutter

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I think it is a simple case of too much light for the majority of the plants you have. If anything I'm more inclined to think not enough nutrients causes algae problems rather than too much nutrient causes them. Get onto a regular fertilizer dosing shedule & increase the frequency of dosing to at least once a week if not 2-3 times a week. Excel is very good for smaller tanks like yours & as Carol mentioned it is also good for inhibiting algae growth. Starting carbon enrichment with a regular supply of fertilizer is definitley going to help the plants grow & out compete the algae. The break in the lighting hours will definitely stop or at least slow the algae growth.

Fast growing plants are usually stem plants but a few Sword (Echinodorus) species grow fast & have high nutrient demands to. For you I think Elodea (Egeria Densa), Hygrophila Polysperma 'Sunset' & Ambulia (Limophila Indica) would all serve you well as fast growing plants that will suck up lots of nutrients.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Toggle Sidebar

UV Sterilizers Worth It?

• Yes

Votes: 24 24.0%
  • No

Votes: 9 9.0%
  • IDK - never used one before

Votes: 67 67.0%

Top Bottom