Hair algae

DerekO24

Frustrating and fascinating at the same time. Something about my water is perfect for hair algae while back got myself a Siamese algae eater who mowed it down in a matter of days and kept it non existent in the tank. He also happened to me an absolute psycho and would terrorize my
Neons and corys. Finally got tired of it and donated him to my lfs. It’s been a few weeks and the hair algae is back , curiously my 3 Ottos don’t go for it. Anyway, not really complaining ... just another reason why fish keeping is so cool

StarGirl

Mine chase each other once in awhile but are pretty chill to the other fish. Maybe thats the component...another one? A playmate. I had bad BBA and have not seen a speck of algae since getting them.

BlackOsprey

Ottos are suckermouth catfish, they rasp algae off of hard surfaces so hair algae isn't on their menu. Amano shrimp and certain freshwater crabs allegedly eat it, but I've never seen it for myself.

DerekO24

Yeah I have amanos. But they don’t seem to be interested either
Ottos are suckermouth catfish, they rasp algae off of hard surfaces so hair algae isn't on their menu. Amano shrimp and certain freshwater crabs allegedly eat it, but I've never seen it for myself.
Mine chase each other once in awhile but are pretty chill to the other fish. Maybe thats the component...another one? A playmate. I had bad BBA and have not seen a speck of algae since getting them.
might just go get a different SAE hope he’s a little more mello, if not , maybe I’ll try that , get a couple. Let them battle each other

ProudPapa

I vaguely recall seeing a YouTube video of platys eating it. I have no personal experience with this method.

fishnovice33

Platys, swordtails and gouramis will pick at it but not in any relevant capacity. Flagfish will tear up some algae but their parameters are different than most fish and they’re very feisty.

Hair algae is always due to light and IME easy to control/prevent.

BBA on the other hand is a whole new world and pain to deal with. I have been keeping under control but am consider SAEs. Last time I kept them though, as you said they ruled the tank no matter how much space I gave them.

Mudminnow

I'm surprised your SAE was terrorizing your neons and corys. I've kept SAEs with cardinals and corys before, and, while they did chase the other fish from time to time (especially if there was food in the tank), they never did any damage.

I hope you have better luck with the next ones if you decide to get more.

Spudsssy

Did you get a chinese algae eater
by mistake? They are very territorial and can be bully's.

DerekO24

Did you get a chinese algae eater
by mistake? They are very territorial and can be bully's.
No, it was def a SAE
I'm surprised your SAE was terrorizing your neons and corys. I've kept SAEs with cardinals and corys before, and, while they did chase the other fish from time to time (especially if there was food in the tank), they never did any damage.

I hope you have better luck with the next ones if you decide to get more.
That’s encouraging , I prob just had a bad apple. But now that he’s gone. I have a new found respect for the impact he had on my tank

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
  • Martinfrogman
  • Algae
Replies
Views
Martinfrogman
  • Question
Replies
Views
Champanier
Replies