Hair algae!

PoppyD88

I have so much hair algae in my tank, it’s on the glass, it’s on the filter intake stick, and on my live rock. I have invertebrates, a blenny and a Goby but none of them are keeping up with the hair algae. What should i do? I have a 55 gallon tank, nine fish, and I started the tank two months ago. Ammonia and nitrI have so much hair algae in my tank, it’s on the glass, it’s on the filter intake stick, and on my live rock. I have invertebrates, a blenny and a Goby but none of them are keeping up with the hair algae. What should i do?ite levels are at zero. nitrate is at 10ppm.

augiehong

I recommend the American Flag Fish (Jordanella Floridae). They are great eaters of hair algae, but they will also munch on smaller leaf plants if you have any. I have 2 of them and they have demolished the hair algae. Good luck.

PoppyD88

Haha
I recommend the American Flag Fish (Jordanella Floridae). They are great eaters of hair algae, but they will also munch on smaller leaf plants if you have any. I have 2 of them and they have demolished the hair algae. Good luck.
i have a saltwater tank, those little guys will die

augiehong

oh whoops. sorry, i missed that detail!

Jesterrace

I have so much hair algae in my tank, it’s on the glass, it’s on the filter intake stick, and on my live rock. I have invertebrates, a blenny and a Goby but none of them are keeping up with the hair algae. What should i do? I have a 55 gallon tank, nine fish, and I started the tank two months ago. Ammonia and nitrI have so much hair algae in my tank, it’s on the glass, it’s on the filter intake stick, and on my live rock. I have invertebrates, a blenny and a Goby but none of them are keeping up with the hair algae. What should i do?ite levels are at zero. nitrate is at 10ppm.

Usually Phosphates are the culprits with GHA. The thing to remember is that the clean up crew (ie snails, hermits) need to be around 1 per gallon in order to be effective.

In addition to a solid sized clean up crew the following all affect GHA: 1) lack of filter floss/sock/cup/pad changes (should be around every 3 days) 2) Lack of water changes (weekly partial is best unless you are doing one of the no water change methods) 3) Overfeeding. If you are feeding more than they can eat in 2-3 minutes at a time it's too much. 4) Any more than 8 hours of total lighting generally promotes unwanted algae growth, so if you are running them longer than that then it's time to reduce it 5) If you are using tapwater it's time to switch to RODI as tap is well known for being GHA fuel 6) If you are using a canister filter they are very prone to causing these sorts of issues on a marine tank.

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Trickytam01
  • Algae
Replies
Views
Rose of Sharon
Replies
Views
ProudPapa
  • Question
  • Martinfrogman
  • Algae