Hair Algae?

Discussion in 'Algae' started by slimeneo, Jan 7, 2013.

  1. slimeneoValued MemberMember

    I have some algae in my tank... I THINK it's hair algae, might be fuzz algae though. It's stringy and light green, you can only really see it if you pay close attention. In my 10 gal, it's not THAT bad, only a few mm on the plants but in my 5.5 gal it's pretty bad. I moved the plants from 10 gal to 5.5 for the fry, so that's probably where it stemmed from. I will be manually removing it myself & have reduced light time from ~10 hrs to 8 hours now, but I haven't seen much of a difference. The 5.5 gal is relatively new, only a month or so since I set it up.

    I have 2 nerite snails, one in each tank. They eat it off the glass, but not completely clean. Of course they can't eat it off the leaves of the plants because they are too big. In my 10 gal the algae isn't that long for me to manually remove, and I don't really want to dip the plants in a bleach solution bc I fear that it will kill them... would it be helpful if I got a couple of shrimps (provided they eat this kind of algae)? Or is there another way to solve this problem? :s

    I dose API leaf zone & flourish comp once a week, no co2 (both tanks). Thanks for reading!
  2. AnthonyC4CWell Known MemberMember

    One time in band camp just kidding but I had a massive dealing with white hair algae that engulfed my entire 60 gallon tank within 12 hours with hairs 2 to 3 inches long...I had to redo my entire tank and scrubbed like no tomorrow. Good Luck!
  3. slimeneoValued MemberMember

    Oh gosh. I hope that doesn't happen to me >< thanks!
  4. AnthonyC4CWell Known MemberMember

    I hope it doesn't either...seriously I do not wish the work and pain on anyone.
  5. slimeneoValued MemberMember

    A couple of weeks ago I was trying to grow algae for my snails, now I'm trying to get rid of it... :(
  6. cichlidmanWell Known MemberMember

    i had great success killing off this algae with over dosing excel . along with any other algae
  7. SiggiWell Known MemberMember

    When algae become a problem, it's always because of an unbalance in the plants system of the tank, in the (1) light - (2) nutrient/CO2 - (3) plant/algae - (4) algae eaters relationship.
    In a healthy aquarium there should be some algae, if there are algae eaters. If not, cutting slightly off the light will normally be enough to reduce algae. Let plants get established and they can normally outcompete the algae.
    If the algae get too overwhelming, attention should be given at finding the unbalance and at 're-balancing' the system. If the system cannot find its own balance in a stable environment, something is wrong and it is our responsibility to find it! (Tearing a tank apart and scrubbing it down is IMHO not the right path to a healthy hobby, no offence)
  8. AnthonyC4CWell Known MemberMember

    No offense taken... it was my only option...
  9. SiggiWell Known MemberMember

    I guess you should have intervened at an earlier stage...
  10. AnthonyC4CWell Known MemberMember

    There wasn't an earlier stage to intervene in, I went to bed and woke up to the mess...
  11. slimeneoValued MemberMember

    Well, I think there's a lot less in my 10 gal than the 5.5 gal bc it's been established longer, and there are more plants thus more competition for nutrients. There are other types of algae in the 5.5, the green stuff/brown stuff on plastic plants and a bit on the gravel which I think are pretty normal for a new tank. However, the small amount of hair algae that was on the plants I moved over from 10 gal have grown A LOT, maybe 2 in. long now.

    So mainly: should I stop dosing ferts in the 5.5 bc there's too much nutrients? at least temporarily, once the algae calms down a bit... I don't have excel, but could comprehensive do it too? wouldn't an overdose make algae grow faster? Sorry for the questions. thanks!
  12. AnthonyC4CWell Known MemberMember

    My knowledge on algae is very limited, my only experience was a nightmare and had to share the memory.. best of luck to you, I hope someone comes soon to answer your questions!
  13. slimeneoValued MemberMember

    It's ok, thanks!
  14. ayladWell Known MemberMember

    I would not use more comprehensive. My current algae nightmare started like yours is starting, and I haven't been able to get it under control. It seems to grow more after I dose with comprehensive, so I'm going to stop using it altogether and see what happens.

    The moderator catsma_97504 is a great person to talk to about algae. If you see her on, send her a message. :)
  15. slimeneoValued MemberMember

    Thanks! I'll stop dosing ferts now then. I hope it won't get too out of hand.. but if it does, I'll send her a PM.
  16. beginnerValued MemberMember

    I would cut way way back on your lights on time for awhile. try 5 hours instead of ten
  17. AlyeskaGirlFishlore VIPMember

    Excel is a liquid carbon source.

    Id reduce light down to 4 hours a day. Do some scrubbing and extra water changes.

    Algae is always from an imbalance or too much light. What is your lighting?
  18. slimeneoValued MemberMember

    ok, I'll shorten the time period for now. The light on the lid that originally came with the 5.5 tank is not bright enough, so I use a 27W desk lamp.
  19. AlyeskaGirlFishlore VIPMember

    Is it a CFL bulb?
  20. slimeneoValued MemberMember

    Yes, it is.