Hair Algae On My Plants!

DoubleD80

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
ok so I got these red root floaters and have upgraded my light and now dose Nilocg thrive 3 pumps twice a week for my 29 gallon! They are growing well even though they aren’t red and the roots aren’t red which I got them for that reason haha! I raised the Chihiros rgb 60 to 50% the other day and now I noticed now there’s this hairy algae on the java fern leaves and a little on my anubis! I don’t use co2 or dose carbon! Any way to get rid of this and still get the red roots I want? Help please cause I even saw a flower on my red roots today and would like to get the red roots and maybe redder tops instead of the flat green I have now! Thanks

Attachments

Imthatpeep100

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I can't help with the red rooters as I believe that is more dependent on what nutrients and lights are given to improve overall blooming (which I believe the red is apart of).

With the hair algae, the best way I find to remove is with manual removal then pin pointing the cause. It becomes apparent through imbalance of nitrate, phosphate and light. One or more may apply. There are specimens to add, but I find manual removal best even though it takes longer. Once you balance the nutrient problems, it shouldn't come back (unless there's an imbalance once more). I believe a potassium permanganate dips may help, but I can't quite remember as I mainly use this on any new plants (mainly to rid of unwanted snails, but I believe it works on most algae). However, if you don't want to remove plants/mess up the scape, I recommend the manual removal as before.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom