Hair algae, my favorite algae

RDcompton03

My new tank is just settling down. 0 ammonia, nitrites and nitrates. My plants are growing well and I am dosing ferts. Over the past serveral weeks as my tank has cycled I have only done one water change of maybe 10%. (I'm not a fan of a lot of water changes, I think they can do more harm than good) I've had some algae. A little black beard algae that came in on some of the java ferns. I had the soft green algae that gets on the glass and hardscape. I also had a LOT of hair algae. The thing I like about hair algae, if you are going to have an algae, is that it can actually be removed from the aquarium fairly easily, and as you remove it you are basically removing ammonia, and nitrates from your tank. When we scrape the algae off the glass, do blackouts, or use fish or inverts to get rid of algae we are not removing nitrates, we are just recycling them and keeping them in the tank. In a new tank, crazy hair algae growth sucks up nitrates and lets us minimize water changes while our plants take root and start growing and our tank parameters settle in. I found that most of the hair algae could be removed by taking a tooth brush and putting it in the middle of the hair algae and turning it like you would a fork in your spaghetti. Just roll it up on the toothbrush and pull it out when its full, rinse it off and go back in for more. Its a very easy way to keep the hair algae under control and after a few days the growth will be less and less until it all but goes away.

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
  • Martinfrogman
  • Algae
Replies
Views
Martinfrogman
  • Question
  • Traps
  • Algae
Replies
Views