75 Gallon Tank Hair Algae Meets Its Match

Brainlady

I have tried a few things to try to rid my plants of the nasty black hair algae.... normally ended up throwing the plant out. I am trying a new product called Algaefix Pond care which is really for ponds, but you can use it for a tank, just have to use the tiniest amount. So far I am seeing some good results and am encouraged. I just wanted to share this because every now and again I read about yet another member who is plagued with this algae. I got it on-line.

harpua2002

Careful with those algae-killer chemicals... many are harmful to plants, inverts, and fish, and best case scenario they are a band-aid solution to the real problem... a nutrient imbalance. Correct the source of the nutrient imbalance, and the algae will die off.

Brainlady

I did research the product and it is not harmful to pond fish, or plants. Does not contain copper, and will not alter the Ph. I read the reviews too. My water parameters are always good and never really change much. I have plants in the tank, driftwood and am not overstocked, clean the tank every week, so really I am at a loss as to how it could be a nutrient imbalance. The only chemical I use in my tanks is Amquel+ after water change. I have a suspicion that I purchased a plant from the LFS that had this type of algae on it and the spores have lingered.

harpua2002

Light + nutrient + CO2 imbalance = algae. I am not well versed enough in different types of algaes to let you know how to correct it, just that algae taking hold is always a result of an imbalance in light, nutrients, and CO2.

blasto172

aside from correcting the imbalance I caused when I first got my t5HO lights, my secret weapon against the algae was adding red cherry shrimp. once they started breeding the algae never had a chance.

Random Great Thread

Latest threads

Top Bottom