Hair algae and black beard algae on subwassertang

Ssnaaiil

How do I get rid of hair algae and black beard algae on subwassertang. Just got the plant a day ago and it is currently in quarantine. I don’t want this algae in my tank so I am looking for advice on how to kill/get rid of these algae’s.

StarGirl

If its in quarantine spot shoot it with some Peroxide or Excel.

Upvote 0

Ssnaaiil

If its in quarantine spot shoot it with some Peroxide or Excel.
Will that kill the hair algae and black beard? Will it also kill or harm snail?

Upvote 0

StarGirl

Will that kill the hair algae and black beard? Will it also kill or harm snail?
If you just do small amounts at a time with a syringe it will be fine. No it wont kill snail. Turn off the filter for a bit when you do it. (I think they say a hour. Not positive on that. ) So it stays kind of in one place. It should kill both. There are threads on using peroxide somewhere. I'll find one. Either that or you could just take it out and dip it.

Upvote 0

Ssnaaiil

If you just do small amounts at a time with a syringe it will be fine. No it wont kill snail. Turn off the filter for a bit when you do it. (I think they say a hour. Not positive on that. ) So it stays kind of in one place. It should kill both. There are threads on using peroxide somewhere. I'll find one. Either that or you could just take it out and dip it.
Dip it in peroxide? Then rinse and place back in quarantine tank?

Upvote 0

StarGirl

Yup. Looking up the thread.

Upvote 0

LeviS

3ml peroxide to 1 gallon of water. Soak for maybe up to 15 minutes.

Upvote 0

Pfrozen

BBA is really hard to actually kill, subwassertang will survive in a bucket just fine for awhile so I would put it in a bucket and treat it with peroxide every day until the BBA is all gone. I wouldn't bother treating it in a tank with fish in it. For reference I soaked BBA in excel and then subjected it to an additional 20x overdose of excel in the tank and it didn't die

Upvote 0

Ssnaaiil

BBA is really hard to actually kill, subwassertang will survive in a bucket just fine for awhile so I would put it in a bucket and treat it with peroxide every day until the BBA is all gone. I wouldn't bother treating it in a tank with fish in it. For reference I soaked BBA in excel and then subjected it to an additional 20x overdose of excel in the tank and it didn't die
Soak in a bucket each day for how long? How much peroxide? Rinse it afterwards and place in just water? Or just leave it in the peroxide/water mixture then change water and repeat next day?

Upvote 0

mattgirl

I would take one piece with the most algae on it and experiment with it first. I would spray straight HP on it. Leave it in a small container so you can make sure the HP stays on it. Let it sit at least 15 minutes and then put it in with the rest. No need to rinse off first. Keep it separate from the rest so you can keep an eye on it. If it is still healthy after 3 or 4 days you can do the same treatment on the rest of it.

I pull my java ferns out each time the BBA gets out of hand and do this to them. After about 3 days the BBA turns red and soon melts away. HP killed off my hornwort and some other stem type plants melted from using HP so it is good to run the test first just in case it melts this one. Excel alone in my tanks doesn't affect my subwassertang. I've not used HP on it though.

Upvote 0

Pfrozen

Soak in a bucket each day for how long? How much peroxide? Rinse it afterwards and place in just water? Or just leave it in the peroxide/water mixture then change water and repeat next day?

No I mean literally leave it floating in a bucket until the algae is gone, start with 2ml/gallon daily and go from there. You don't want to soak it in peroxide solution for longer than a couple minutes

Upvote 0

Shrimpee

No I mean literally leave it floating in a bucket until the algae is gone, start with 2ml/gallon daily and go from there. You don't want to soak it in peroxide solution for longer than a couple minutes
i hate these BBA( in my shrimp tank and fish tank. and have read alot about them..watch countless youtube videos learning how to kill them. heres a quick summary of what i have done and what i found out:

ratio of 1ml H2O2 with 4.5gallon of water w syringe to spot treat:
i was very careful with this ratio as i was treating a 15l shrimp tank. alot of online stuff say overdose will kill them etc,

then i realised the shrimps wont even bothered by the bubbling when H2O2 is applied. they all swamp to the treated spot and start nibbling. story short, i have since spot treat up to 3to4ml in my 15l shrimp tank almost daily on algae and BBA for as much as 30days continuous and never has dead shrimps becos of it. initially i worried maybe not dead, but will affect their reproduction but they continued to berry, new tiny shrimps continue to appear duering the 30 days. i have gone as much as 5ml spot treat w excel and had no issues.

soaking driftwood/plants:

i have a spray bottle of H2O2. when BBA appears on plants...driftwood..rocks...CO2 indicator...i just take them out, spray geneerously over the whole thing and let it sizzle for about 5 min before putting them back in. definitely no problem w the deco. for the plants, after replanting, you will see the BBA turn brown ( meaning kill) and the plants continue to grow. no porblem too.

Increase flow to reduce BBA:
i have added addtional power head to ove the water, and BBA continue to appear. and the fact that BBA is also growing on my vampire shrimps' feelers clearly shows that increase movement doesnt help reduce BBA. even a moving shrimp gets BBA on it ( i think its becos it tends to station itself in spot with great flow in order to fan out and collect food, thus i think increase flow is actually worst cos the others shrimps didnt get any BBA)

wierd happenings: i have an outdoor tank which also have BBA and any plants added...BBA starts covering them within a week. then once i measured that TDS and it was about 950. then i cleaned the filter ( fluval external 307)...change water and TDS when back to about 250..and since then BBA has almost disappeared! with tiny bits appearing on a few leaves but not spreading even after months. i just reove the lease that had BBA on them. before, i need to remove the whole plant and get new ones cos there were so much BBA on them that the whole plant just look hairy and black, now its just a few leaves. dunno what i did right. i have done all the H2O2/excel magic before to the fish tank too and nothing has changed. gave up already and this happened. guess you have to accept them then they will disappear! haha

have fun dealing with them.

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
BettasAreSuperior
  • Blueberrybetta
  • Algae
Replies
Views
RDcompton03
  • Question