• 50/50

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

GetFreshedAquariums

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Hi Everyone. So I have recently upgraded my 100L (25g) reef tank up to a Red Sea 250 C-Max (The true 250L with the weir, not a sump) and was wondering if I could have a Haddoni Nem in it? I would say I'm not an expert reefer but I'm certainly not a beginner. I have 1/3 of the tank filled with my hammers, gonis, cushions, cynarina, gorgonian, elegance, dendros, maxi mini nem, (its purple and green!) fungai plates and a tracky plus a couple softies. (plus a large rhod and few nice zoos) I wanted to know if I got more sand and made the other 2/3 of the tank about have 4-5" deep sand bed, could I have a haddoni Nem? (the deep sandbed because of their nature to bury their foot.
I run a Micmol Light overhead and for flow I use the tanks return pumps because they are 1200lp/h each so its plenty strong. I run them pointed at each other so I have a really "natural style" flow in my tank.
Stocking is also a pair of clowns (M Extreme Snowflake F Black Perc (I lost my male old Extreme snowflake)), a lawnmower blenny and currently 1 bangaii cardinal (I plan to get 4 more to have a group of 5)
I don't run the skimmer just because I feel like it does nearly nothing. And I am re-adding (it has ben off for a couple weeks as a test) a reactor tomorrow.

stella1979

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I only know what I've just read about these nems, and it sounds like you've been doing some reading too.

So, they are messy because they discharge more food than your more common types like bubble tips. You'll want to stay on top of water changes and have good nutrient reduction running. I think you'll need that skimmer with the nem.

There is also a real possibility that it will eat your non-clown fish... I've seen more than a few of my online buddies lose fish to larger nems.

Also, your coral will be in danger whenever the nem is on the move. He'd likely roam around at first, but would hopefully settle in the good spot you'll be providing. They're also known to roam if flow patterns change or if flow is to high. Whenever he is roaming, there's the chance **** run into things you'd rather he didn't.

With these things in mind, be warned, but the decision is yours of course. If this nem were my dream creature, I would try it in a Reefer250... but being me, idk that I'd risk the corals.

GetFreshedAquariums

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
stella1979 said:
I only know what I've just read about these nems, and it sounds like you've been doing some reading too.

So, they are messy because they discharge more food than your more common types like bubble tips. You'll want to stay on top of water changes and have good nutrient reduction running. I think you'll need that skimmer with the nem.

There is also a real possibility that it will eat your non-clown fish... I've seen more than a few of my online buddies lose fish to larger nems.

Also, your coral will be in danger whenever the nem is on the move. He'd likely roam around at first, but would hopefully settle in the good spot you'll be providing. They're also known to roam if flow patterns change or if flow is to high. Whenever he is roaming, there's the chance run into things you'd rather he didn't.

With these things in mind, be warned, but the decision is yours of course. If this nem were my dream creature, I would try it in a Reefer250... but being me, idk that I'd risk the corals.
Yeah my biggest worry was the other corals copping a sting if he goes walk-about. I've also got to consider cost because here in Australia Haddonis are about $500 for a green one. I want a lime/mint or a red but limes are around $600-$750 and reds are average of $3k. There is a small one for sale a couple hours away fro $1500

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom