Had to euthanize Ropefish

eligri

Hi!
I had to euthanize my ropefish today. I have no idea why he was acting like he did, but it was obvious he was going to be killed by my other fish quickly.

He was "lying" upright along the back of the glass with his head near the surface and tail pointing right down. Wouldn't eat. Gave him a light touch and he sank to the bottom. When other fish touched him he would swim erratically with head towards surface and tail down, then sink to bottom of tank while his head remained floating upright.

No marks or other symptoms, but he was breathing rapidly while mouth was moving.

All other fish are acting normal.

In the tank with him:
Oscar
3x yoyo loaches
1x gibbiceps
6x pleco

125 gallon tanks. 30-35% weekly WC's. Good filtration and surface movement. No additives. Mixed diet (although not sure if he managed to eat much despite handfeeding him with a claw extender and feeding tube).

What could have happened?

Thanks

Edit: also want to add he didnt even try to escape during capture. He was barely moving and couldnt swim at that point.

Edit 2: no new additions to tank last year (other than some plecos that were born in the tank). No changes at all, infact.

TropicalFlow

Rip : ropefish! Test in piece

eligri

Can also add his gills looked a bit pink. Although all other fish are acting normal, so do not believe there is any ammonia present. Unfortunately my test kit is far past expire and new one has not yet arrived.

Is it normal for ropefish to have slightly pink gills? Was mostly visible when he was breathing (which was quite heavily).

TropicalFlow

I've had a rope fish that had pink gills after he was super stressed and rubbing on things but idk

eligri

I've had a rope fish that had pink gills after he was super stressed and rubbing on things but idk
Could be that then
Guessing he simply starved or had lack of nutrition. He would only eat bloodworms, refused everything else (even with garlic infusion).

TropicalFlow

hmm, maybe lack of nuitriemts.

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
Replies
Views
Seasoldier
Replies
Views
MacZ
Replies
Views