had to empty the tank today :(

1. jetajockey

jetajockey Fishlore VIP Member

so, 4 weeks into a fish-in cycle on my 10g, one of my kids decides to drop a pack of tums in the tank. I noticed when the water was crazy cloudy, and I put all of the fish in a little quarantine tank and just washed the tank out. The cycle was already going insanely slow, daily water changes, etc, so this is just a further setback. I tested the PH of the fresh water in the tank and its reading 7.2. Would be nice to find someone willing to ship some bacteria-laden filter media. :;fru Ok done venting :)

2. x

xxSTEPHENSxx Valued Member Member

I feel your pain... my 10 gal is still not cycled and it is on its way to month 2. I don't even have nitrites yet.

3. Elodea

Elodea Well Known Member Member

Were you able to save some filter media? That'll speed up the cycle next time.

But this is the true test of a fishkeeper...whether they're patient enough to pull through the entire cycle.

Funny how fish are always involved with patience...fishing, fishkeeping...

4. Shawnie

Shawnie Fishlore Legend Member

aww darn it :( im sorry!
    gotta love our kids!!

if you didnt completely clean the filter , you can still use it ...tums wont hurt as much as you think....a quick change in ph (which could hurt the fish) but you cleaned that all out...the media should still be fine :)

good luck with it!

5. c

chunkdaddy Valued Member Member

Hi Jetajockey,
    I recommend you get some Tetra Safestart. If everything goes to plan, your tank should complete the cycle in 2 weeks.

6. OP
    OP
    jetajockey

I grew up as an avid landlocked fisherman so I know exactly what you mean. All I did with the filter and sponge is rinse it in tank water and popped it back in, so if any of the bacteria did survive at least it won't have heartburn :D

7. OP
    OP
    jetajockey

I'm going to try to find some locally, the only thing I've found (and tried) is Cycle (petsmart). That was just 2 days ago. The privately owned LFS here doesn't carry anything of the sort lol.

8. A

AlyeskaGirl Fishlore VIP Member

:;laughing :D

9. gef21

gef21 Valued Member Member

10. Meenu

Meenu Fishlore VIP Member

Don't use Cycle in your tank - wrong kind of bacteria, doesn't work.

11. Nutter

Nutter Fishlore VIP Member

Excuse my ignorance but what are Tums? Hit your LFS up for some media or substrate from thier tanks if they are healthy & in good condition. That will help you get the tank cycled faster & most LFS don't mind parting with a little media or a couple of handfulls of gravel.

12. OP
    OP
    jetajockey

will do, just checked their site and they say that walmart carries it, probably have to order it through them though, I've looked several times recently while there and haven't seen it. Thanks for the advice.

13. OP
    OP
    jetajockey

the person working at the big locally owned LFS here was kinda short with me when i started talking about tank cycling, so I didn't even bother to ask.

tums is an antacid. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antacid

14. Nutter

Nutter Fishlore VIP Member

Sounds like the person you spoke to probably doesn't know much about cycling so they didn't want to discuss it. Perhaps you can find another LFS that is better to deal with & ask them for some media.

We don't have Tums over here. Just Quik-Eze. I go through heaps of the stuff. I wouldn't imagine it would be all that terrible for the tank. Won't be good but I don't think it would be anything a few water changes & a good vaccuuming wouldn't have fixed. I would probably be more worried about the effect on the KH & PH than the cycle myself.

I hope it all works out for you.

15. gef21

gef21 Valued Member Member

It took me awhile to find TSS but when I did I also found a great LFS to help me out with things.

16. Z

Zia Valued Member Member

I think your kids probably picked the least harmful thing in your medicine cabinet. TUMS is just calcium carbonate, and if you google it, you'll see it's a common substance in rocks, and "the main component of shells of marine organisms, snails, pearls, and eggshells." It might harden your water a bit, but I suspect it's not as much of a disaster as you think. :)